Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice

Comment

Hope u don't plan on hunting out of it during the early season it's gonna cook u like a well done steak! Lol... But should be a great blind for the winter months!

Comment

And all this time I didn't think you had any "man" skills!

If you decide to insulate it, some black automotive carpet stapeled to the 2x2s would make a great cover and absorb even more of the noise from inside.

I really like the dirt floor ... that'll be very quiet!

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
        Looks cool and fun to hunt out of, but with the risk of sounding like a smart arse and not intending to, why not just throw up a pop up blind right there? What is the benefit of the pit blind?
        Same reason some guy on here built one out of rock or brick ... cause it's just cool!

Comment

Originally posted by HELLRAZOR View Post
          Hope u don't plan on hunting out of it during the early season it's gonna cook u like a well done steak! Lol... But should be a great blind for the winter months!
          I can say my fat butt bakes in a pop up as well!!! I figured mornings wont be bad and it will be shaded in the evening. Like I said, I will insulate if need be.

Comment

I would insulate now, if for no other reason than noise dampening. I love the idea of a pit blind, but digging the hole doesn't sound that fun...

And I would think being in the ground would make it cooler than above ground....no?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I would insulate now, if for no other reason than noise dampening. I love the idea of a pit blind, but digging the hole doesn't sound that fun...

And I would think being in the ground would make it cooler than above ground....no?
              Like I said, we had machinery down there doing some other work and the mini excavator made short work of the hole digging. Without it, I think I would just have stayed above ground.

As for coolness, I know a guy that hunts out of these type blinds a lot and he swears they are cooler than a normal, above ground bow box. I am really leaning toward insulating for noise reasons now that I think about it. I still have to put my lid props on it and insulating it would not take much extra time.

Comment

What happens if it rains?

Comment

Comment

I like

Comment

Isulation: I wonder if you pushed loose dirt or sand up around the sides to about the bottom of the windows and put a layer of dirt on top (2" or 3") if that might be enough. It would certainly reduce the noise and keep run off water out of the inside. Just a thought. You also might be able to plant some native grass around it for just a little more cover.

Comment

^^^ I like that idea

Comment

Maybe you could put something to keep the sun off it. Maybe a non metal roof suspended just over the top or lots of limbs. I built one like that before with the tin and it was too hot to hunt in.

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
                              Isulation: I wonder if you pushed loose dirt or sand up around the sides to about the bottom of the windows and put a layer of dirt on top (2" or 3") if that might be enough. It would certainly reduce the noise and keep run off water out of the inside. Just a thought. You also might be able to plant some native grass around it for just a little more cover.
                              I plan on wiring some brush to the roof and adding some in front. I cant put dirt on top of it being the whole roof hinges in the front, thats how I get it. I figure wiring some dry, light weight brush on top will brake it up some and wont add much weight to the already, kinda heavy roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat07 View Post
                                How do you guys keep the SNAKES out of these type blinds?
                                FIFY

Cool blind. Worst thing is to go to your pop up blind to hunt in and see that it is blown 20 yds away upside down and you have to spend 30 minutes in the dark fixing it and then spend 3 hrs sitting there wondering why your not seeing anything.

Seriously- I always wondered how many snakes these attract though. Anyone have any experience with them?

Comment

Working...
                                X