Selective service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
    Sole surviving son exemption is a myth. If you are 18 and have nuts you have to register.
    Yup. You have to register regardless. If a draft was actually re-instated, depending on the needs of the government, there are exemptions but you still register.

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
      Males only. There was a push to remove that and make the ladies sign up also once they pulled the male only career fields and women from combat jobs restriction. But like everything else in congress it quietly got dropped when something else came up.

Equal is equal. They wanna open up the jobs, they should have to sign up like the rest of us.
      I agree. I'd also like to see the US Marine treat females the same. When I showed up to bootcamp they shaved my head. There is a reason for short 0" to 3" fade. Head gear and gas masks need to fit, and short hair is better for hygiene but I guess the ladies get a pass on this.

Comment

I remember registering at my post office. I have never heard of anyone automatically being entered into the Selective Service. My experience with this was back in 96 so maybe things have changed?

Comment

As I recall, I had to renew my driver’s license on my 18th birthday and registered at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by TexZ71 View Post
            Yes, men still have to register, as far as I know.
            You can go to the website below and check if you register. It tells you the day you registered and your selective service number.

https://www.sss.gov
            Ha! I checked mine...signed up Nov 3 ,1982. Thanks for the link.
            Defense of this country is more likely now then back in the 80's.
            Snowflakes will melt if it gets hot in the kitchen.

Comment

Yep. Ill do it again!!!! Lol

Comment

Law

Comment

4 years ago my buddy son refused to sign up. Now he can’t vote and can’t get any type of financial aid for school!! What a dumb arse

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                    I never did. I thought now they automatically sign you up for it?
                    When I turned 18, and starting college, you weren't eligible for federal financial aid if you weren't. First question on the application was "Have you registered for selective service?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                      Ha! I checked mine...signed up Nov 3 ,1982. Thanks for the link.
                      Defense of this country is more likely now then back in the 80's.
                      Snowflakes will melt if it gets hot in the kitchen.
                      Yeah I thought it was cool to see the date and others may like to see it too.

Comment

I joined the Army Reserves at 17 and at a weekend drill (in Ft Polk) I signed up for selective service. Even as a dumb 18 year old I though "I'm signing up to be drafted while in the Army?"....I never really thought about the taxpayer aspect of it until now as a dumb 45 year old!

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by TexZ71 View Post
                            Yes, men still have to register, as far as I know.
                            You can go to the website below and check if you register. It tells you the day you registered and your selective service number.

https://www.sss.gov
                            Cool, I registered three days after I turned 18 in 1986. I remember going to the Denison Post Office and filling it out.

Comment

Heck, I'm so old the site don't work for me. I went to the old fogies site, and they want me to pay them for my status records... I just love my gubment!!

Comment

Yes, men between 18-25 still have to register for selective service. Here are the exemptions:
                                1. Active duty military
                                2. Retired from active duty military
                                3. Prove that you did not know you had to register - Selective Service says this is very difficult to do considering the amount of publicity and notifications everywhere.
                                4. Female
                                5. (I can't believe I have to say this....) Born female and identifies as a male. (But not the other way around.)

Even immigrants and illegals must register.

From the Selective Service website:
                                According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service can accept a late registration but not after a man has reached his 26th birthday.

Some men may have failed to register during the time they were eligible to do so and may now find they are ineligible for certain benefits:
                                • federal student loans and grant programs
                                • federal job training under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (formerly Workforce Investment Act)
                                • federal jobs or security clearance as a contractor
                                • U.S. citizenship for immigrants

Penalties for Failing to Register
                                Failing to register or comply with the Military Selective Service Act is a felony punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 or a prison term of up to five years, or a combination of both. Also, a person who knowingly counsels, aids, or abets another to fail to comply with the Act is subject to the same penalties.

If a man fails to register, or provides Selective Service with evidence that he is exempt from the registration requirement, after receiving Selective Service reminder and/or compliance mailings, his name is referred to the Department of Justice for possible investigation and prosecution for his failure to register as required by the Act. For clarification, if a man is exempt from registering with the Selective Service System, his name is not forwarded to the Department of Justice. The federal law stipulates that names are to be submitted to the Department of Justice annually.

The more immediate penalty is if a man fails to register before turning 26 years old, even if he is not tried or prosecuted, he may find that some doors are permanently closed.
                                Here's the link to the web site. https://www.sss.gov/

Comment

Working...
                                X