No announcement yet.

Overweight Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eliminate the starchy foods laying around , bread tortillas we have wheat bread wheat tortillas pasta and such, potatoes are sweet potatoes the boys don't acre much for, but bot my boys were told you will participate in a sport of your choice. they are 10 and 7 both are in martial arts 3 times a week, music and other types of activities, the only time I allow them to have white bread or flour tortillas is when we go out to eat or at the deer lease, our pedi told us when they were born keep them off juice too much sugar same with milk, they'll get enough vitamins from fruit ,and calcium from cheese and lowfat milk. everything in moderation remember they are kids if you let them they'll eat what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      From someone who has dealt with mental health issues and who is active in a community full of them I can tell you that taking and hiding food and unchecked eating are both signs of depression or anxiety disorders. I'm afraid that simply changing the food you havd and limiting her access isn't going to solve this issue. You might look into a mental health professional to at least evaluate the situation.
      You might want to pay close attention to this advice. We went through this with a child of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        From someone who has dealt with mental health issues and who is active in a community full of them I can tell you that taking and hiding food and unchecked eating are both signs of depression or anxiety disorders. I'm afraid that simply changing the food you havd and limiting her access isn't going to solve this issue. You might look into a mental health professional to at least evaluate the situation.
        This ^^^. These habits are a sure sign of depression and anxiety. Seek professional counseling from someone who specializes with children.

Comment

Don't put it as she is overweight. Put it as you love her and want her to be healthy. You want her heart to be healthy. I have used that and they respond a lot better than calling them fat.

Comment

My niece is in the same boat except she has tons of friends and is very active. The problem is my sister and her husband like to eat the same way you do, and they have junk food in the house. Until the family changes their eating habits, she will be fat. Sodas are a huge problem too. Water only should be the drink options.

Good luck, I know it's not easy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

when I was in 7th grade my dad just flat out told me I was fat. He asked if I wanted to be the fat kid that got made fun by my friends and had to wear a tshirt in the pool? Up until then I had always been skinny but we moved neighborhoods and I ended up with no kids my age to play with and the weight just started piling on. I can honestly say he hurt my feelings, but he also motivated me. Now I am by no means telling you to call your step daughter fat, but sometimes the blunt/mean approach works best.

Comment

Maybe take her to a counselor. Sometimes they are good at finding the root and helping a kid deal with that, and become more active.

Comment

Your daughter is hooked on sugar. Not only processed sugar but foods that turn into sugar quickly after consumption. I know this first hand and I know exactly what she is experiencing. It isn't a choice she can make herself. She does not possess the tools at her age, you will have to provide those tools. She is addicted the same way an alcoholic is with booze, a crack addict to crack. Her body will hurt if not fed processed sugar or empty carbs that turn into sugar.

Educate yourself about sugar (Anything ending with ose) is going to turn to sugar in the body. Get you and your wife on the same "New rules" on the way you eat. Everyone in the house will have to change. 50% lean meat and 50% green vegetables. My cardiologist went so far as to say forget the portions as long as you are 50 50.

If your child is and stays overweight, they have a 100% chance of type 2 diabetes by the time she is middle age. When I was a child I would take white bread, pull the crust off, fold the bread twice, mash it to a dough and eat it. I could eat an entire loaf of bread in one day. I am a type 2 diabetic. My mother and 2 of my sisters are all type 2. Diabetes destroyed my mother and killed her.

This is harsh. Change the channel of you don't like this. It is your's and your wife's responsibility. I commend you for reaching out. The harsh part is you will have to sit down and be honest with her. If you can't be honest with her, who will? The kids at school certainly won't. My advice is to quit puzzy footing around, be honest with her and change the entire household. Don't send her through the change, walk through it with her. Make it a rule there will be an hour of exercise every evening before anything else. Turn off the tv, get outside and just walk if thats all yall can do.

Comment

Also, don’t forget about eating outside the home and at school. Some kids can spend all their lunch money for the week in a couple days. Pack her lunch to you help to ensure she is not eating unhealthy food at school. Just an idea.

Comment

No sugar, no processed foods! Make her walk e wry day She will have a better life. No fast food ever.

Comment

No talk needed just be good parents and feed her good and go for a daily walk

Comment

Genetics CAN be part of it but you have to take an overall evaluation of her lifestyle. My son was overweight towards his tail end of elementary going into middle school. Upon evaluating his lifestyle we realized we were letting him spend way too much time behind the TV and he had become a snacker. On the other hand I have family members who are very active but always seem to stay fat.

Changed his diet little by little, limited his time behind the boob tube and got him involved in sports and other outdoor activities. This was quite a sacrifice for us too. We had to make the effort to take him to practices and get outdoors with him as well. Made a big difference and he's a different person in his 20's.

Comment

My daughter has always been skinny, here lately I have noticed her watching a lot of tv and eating a ton of snacks. She doesn't have much of a social life, but I have always tried to keep her active in sports and hunting. I have dropped the ball over the last year when we moved, and have noticed she has gained a lot of weight and some not so good habits. We missed all the sign ups for little league sports, and that is solely my fault. Basically, I have messed up, and now I am working overtime to correct it, but it is twice as hard to correct something than it is to just keep it straight in the first place. Good luck, hopefully you can find that thing she likes to do and get her going.

Comment

I am thinking depression or anxiety, but that is just my opinion from others that I have witnessed. She knows that she is overweight and has basically given up. My advice would be to have normal conversations with her that tend to be more positive and self boosting to assist her to get out of the rut that she is in

Comment

Something good to get my kids out of the house is to take the dog for a walk around the neighborhood. They don't even think twice about the chance to get him out and go for a walk and possibly see their neighborhood friends. All the time they are getting good excercise. If you have one, give her the responsibility of walking the dog or go as a family.

We also ride bikes as a family. We'll let the kids pick out where (how far) they want to ride to and off we go. Make it fun and they won't even realize they are exercising. We try to do both activities after a meal like an early (5-6pm) dinner so we can work off most of what we ate and they may get a light snack an hour before bedtime (fruit, granola bar, etc).

Good luck, I hate to hear about her getting teased. Good for you to show the desire to help her now before it gets out of hand and she struggles throughout her life. Make it a family change as others have said...

Comment

Working...
                                X