Ridge vent vs turbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridge vent vs turbine

I'm replacing my roof and currently have turbines. Would ridge vents be more effective? I live in the dfw area if that makes a difference.

I would do both. I had a roofer bid on our replacement roof. He recommended 10 turbines. We did not use him. The guy I did use said it was over kill. We added 2 more and have 4 total. We only had 2. I don’t know if it helped or not.

Comment

Ridge vents can be extremely effective if the inlets are right.

Comment

With ridge vents, you don't get the turbine sticking up all over the roof. A good roofer know you also have to have good amount of eave vents to allow the ridge vent to work. We took all the turbines off and went with ridge vents. Attic is same temp as outside environment. That is what you are aiming for.

Comment

Ridge vent with adequate ventilation holes in the eaves. Pulls outside air in through eaves and out ridge vent. If you leave turbines and add ridge vent, ventilation will be in turbines and out ridge vent.

Comment

Ridge vents. Have turbines and low profiles. Really believe the low profiles are sucking in the air so the turbines push it out. Defeats the purpose.

Comment

Ridge vents. Only drawback is hard blowing sleet/snow can get through the screening and cause water damage. Happened several times to my homes in Tulsa. Not an issue here though.

Comment

I had turbines before the last hail storm. Roofer removed them and installed ridge vents and it seems to have helped A LOT. Now when I open the attic door I can actually feel the air being drawn up into the attic. I never had that before. The house also seems cooler.

Comment

Ridgevents only. Turbines will mess up how the vents work. Make sure you have as much or more square/inches of soffit vent as the ridge. Be sure to have something to keep insulation from blocking the air coming up from soffit. They sell styrofoam things that sorta look like oversized egg carton to put between insulation and roof deck just above the exterior wall. If insulation touches roof deck it blocks all the air and the ridge vents are basically worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                    ...They sell styrofoam things that sorta look like oversized egg carton to put between insulation and roof deck just above the exterior wall....
                    Insulation baffles.

Comment

We had our house reroofed a few years ago, and I asked the roofer about turbines over ridge vents. He said turbines are still available, but he felt they were older technology, and that the ridge vents were a better way to go. We went with the ridge vents, but I don't go into the attic very often any more, so I can't tell you if they made a difference or not. With the turbines, in the summer it was hot in the attic all of the time, but then, it was always hot outside at the same time.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Solar power attic fans are the best. Auto temp helps in the winter to shut down ventilation when tempeture in the attic is below 70ish. Only issue is that most home will need four or five with a unit cost of $500. Attic breeze has a couple different models. Their so quite I would have calls all the time they were not working.

Comment

Not sure how things are where you are but in my area of the gulf coast they stopped using ridge vents. I have had 2 houses with them and there never was enough air movement and I had continues soffit vents. On my current house we have just plain vents on top, kind of look like power vents but no fan. When it is 90 outside it's 90-95 in my attack but I also have tech shield. Look around in your area at the new homes being built and see what they are using.

Comment

When I replaced my roof I did low profile vents. My roofer friwn from church said they were cheaper than ridge vent anf work just as good if you don't mine them being visible. Made no difference to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cawnlu View Post
                              I had turbines before the last hail storm. Roofer removed them and installed ridge vents and it seems to have helped A LOT. Now when I open the attic door I can actually feel the air being drawn up into the attic. I never had that before. The house also seems cooler.
                              That's exactly what I noticed.

Comment

Working...
                              X