Looking for good backstrap recipe ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for good backstrap recipe ?????

I have yet to make backstrap that we like usually comes out like shoe leather. I think i cook it too long, can anyone help ?

How are you trying to cook it? fried, grilled? I always try to cook any deer meat until medium rare. Cook it well and it will be tough and dry. It's ok to have it a little pink.

Comment

Cut the backstrap into about 3/4" slices. Marinate in McCormick's Garlic and Peppercorn marinade. (When making the marinade use olive oil and red wine vinegar). Grill for just a few short minutes on each side. It should be cooked medium to medium rare.

My boys will mow right through this one!

Although... Skeeter's recipe looks pretty tasty to me!

Comment

Try this: Venison Medallions in Mushroom Sauce

Mushroom Sauce
        2 tablespoons butter
        2 tablespoons flour
        1/2 cup chicken broth, cool
        1/4 cup dry white wine
        1/4 cup whipping cream
        1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
        dash Tabasco
        1/2 cup red and green bell pepper, diced
        2 green onions, white and green part, diced
        2 garlic cloves, minced
        2 cups fresh mushrooms, thinly-sliced
        salt and pepper to taste

12 2 to 3 ounce venison medallions cut from the loin or eye of round
        salt and pepper
        2 tablespoons olive oil
        4 sprigs Italian parsley

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook while stirring until butter/flour mixture is smooth and beige in color, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cool chicken broth, a little at a time, until incorporated. Stir in wine and cream until incorporated. Add remaining sauce ingredients and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often.

Season medallions with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add medallions and sear on both sides until medium-rare. To serve, spoon sauce on to plate, arrange medallions over sauce and garnish with parsley.

Comment

Thanks Skeeter, Mary, and 1369 I will try them all. I knew you guys would come thru. Thanks again.

Comment

Cut the backstrap into 2 inch medallions. Wrap Hickory smoked bacon around the meat and hold with toothpics. Then coat the unwrapped areas of meat with Montreal Steak Seasoning (HEB and Walmart carry). Cook on bbq for 5-7 min each side or until bacon is almost crispy.

And, believe it or not, you can also use Garlic Salt and Freeze-dried coffee instead of the Montreal Steak Seasoning. Simply coat the unwrapped sides of the meat with Garlic Salt. Then pulverize the Freeze-dried coffee and dip the garlic covered meat into the coffee. There will be a chemical reaction (takes about 5 min) that will cause the coffee to turn into a paste. Simply place the coffee side down on the bbq for 5-7 min a side and flip. The backstrap will taste like filet mingnon with a hint of coffee taste.

Comment

oops, posted twice by error.
              Last edited by rossn2; 11-29-2006, 12:41 PM.

Comment

We like to take small pieces and wrap them in bacon with cream cheese and fresh sliced jalapenos. Dont over cook and they are juicy and tender.

Also for frying, my wife lays the steaks out on foil, covers them with plastic wrap, and beats the crap out of them with a tenderizing mallet (dont get in the way). The plastic wrap keeps it from splattering all over the place. She then dips them in a flour/cracker mixture, then in milk/egg mixture, and back into flour/cracker and fries. They are always tender.

Comment

Well I like Mary's idea,, but here is the best way I know,, Marinate in Red wine,,cooking wine will work but drinking wine is better. Let is soak with garlic/mckormics motreal steak seasoning for about 2 hours and grill like a steak..cook till just pink,, about 300 for 5 minutes each side,,it will not be tough and your wife will want you to shoot more deer.fresh burgandy mushrooms to the side makes a great filler..Umm if I wasnt eating Tilapia in white wine sauce,,,I would grill some back strap

Comment

Soak 'em in milk. Makes them tender. Fry them up and make some gravy and rice and biscuits. Don't splatter no gravy on your forehead or your liable to slap your brains out trying to lick it off.

Comment

Cut into little Medallions
                      Sprinkle with Tony C's
                      Cut up a ton of onions

Slowly cook in a wok while keep turning it over and over.

Comment

You answered your own question. Don't over cook it.

Comment

Boy, i sure never thought my first post on this site would be in the recipe section. Guess it just goes to show that as we get oldler we do adapt.

Back Strap Kabbobs are the best way I've ever had grilled backstrap. The way I cook them you almost don't have to wory about drying the meat out. Cube your backstrap into 1" to 1-1/2" cubes, wrap them in bacon and run toothpick through backstrap to secure bacon. De-stem mushrooms and fill cavity with cream cheese. Cut onions and peppers in a way that they almost umbrella over one side of the bacon wrapped backstrap when place on skewer.

When putting bacon wrapped backstrap on skewer, do so in a manner that the bacon is exposed to the flame. Slide a cheese stuffed mushroom to one side of the bacon wrapped backstrap, with the cheese stuffed side touching the backstrap. Umbrella the other side of the bacon wrapped backstrap with either onion or pepper. This way the entire peice of backstrap is covered from the flame. The bacon, cheese, mushroom, pepper, and onion will put an awsome flavor on your harvest.

A few hours prior to putting on the grill you might want to try marinating with italian dressing for some added taste.

Try this and you will love it.
                          Last edited by GRIZZ64; 12-07-2006, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Rather than cutting up, cook it like a roast:

2T butter, more if needed. 2 onions sliced, 2/3 C beef stock, 1 can of flat anchovies, 1T molasses, 1T cider vinegar, 2 bay leaves, 8 allspice, 4 cloves 5 peppercorns.

Heat butter, brown meat on all sides. Remove meat to oven pan. Brown onions in remaining butter. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour over meat in pan. Cook at 300-325. Turn and baste meat every 30 mins until done. Sometimes I don't turn every 30 mins but do it at least once. A 2# roast will cook in about 1.5 hours or less.

Comment

Working...
                            X