deer shoulder/quarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deer shoulder/quarter

I have one shoulder left in the freezer that I would like to smoke this weekend. I would really like to try something new. Any great ideas out there on how to make this fall off the bone? I'm going to start thawing it now, so let's get those recipes coming. I typically smoke with oak if that makes a difference or not.

season it up real good w/ some all purpose you like. Make a couple of incisions per side and shove a garlic clove in. Throw it over direct coal fire for about 15 minutes on each side. Then take it off and wrap it in foil. Throw in a whole onion chopped up. A stick of butter. One of your favorite bottles of marinade and wrap it up. Place it over to the side of the coals and let it roll. Check it in about an hour and pour a beer in as well for some more moisture. The next hour check it again and this time. Pour some soy sauce, some molasses, and italian dressing and let it roll. Then check every hour and drop a little butter or beer in to keep it moist. You will be in heaven. If it's leaking make sure you put a pan under it to keep all that good stuff from melting.

Comment

Mesquite,

How many hours does it usually take? I didn't get to do it the other day(something came up), but I've been doing it today. The surface layers are unbelievable, but how long does it take to cook all the way through without me having to carve it up? My wife even likes the taste and smell of it. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

No problem. I'd say it'll take a solid 8-9 hours depending on how big it is. if it's a rear hindquarter it could take up to 14. That's a big chunk of meat.

Comment

Not a true smoking, but one of the best ways I have ever cooked it.

Take your shoulder or quarter and cube it up. Try to get most of the sinew off and silver skin too. Lay out a sheet of heavy duty tin foil, don't buy the cheap stuff here because a hole in foil will ruin it. .

Chop up a good sweet onion, not too fine. Vidallias work great.

Salt and pepper to taste and then coat the entire contents with KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce.

Role the foil up into tight packet. Wrap it again two more times with extra foil to ensure there are no air leaks. Throw it on the pit for a few hours and the meat falls apart on a fork. No knife needed!!!

A good side dish with this is to cut up a sweet onion, and a potato into chip sized pieces, salt and pepper and put a nice slab of butter in there too. Seal up the whole thing just like above and cook it for a good 30 mins. Instant sauteed onions and soft buttered taters. Don't get much better boys.

Enjoy

Comment

I save bacon drippings and liberally inject the hindquarter with the drippings. Then season and smoke just like a brisket.

Comment

Working...
            X