• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning a fishing arrow?

I am trying to set up a fishing bow. Here is what I have:
    PSE Coyote. (Donated by HunterTodd)
    45lbs @28
    Whisker biscuit rest (salvaged off an old wheel bow)
    Fiberglass fishing arrow that weighs 1200grains.

Question is which way do I move the rest to try and compensate for the heavy arrow? It is shooting very stiff (obviously) and I know it won't fly great from this bow but I would like it to be as good as possible.

Any ideas???

Won't answer your question but what biscuit do you have? If it's not the one intended for bowfishing with thicker bristles that will cause you some trouble as the arrow will fall to the bottom

Comment

It's the regular one. I have noticed that too. I may have to get another rest but still need to know how to tune. I'm not too proficient with arrow rests. I'm a trad guy. Don't use rests. Lol

Comment

Are you testing it with the string attached?

Comment

No. Just the arrow. I have also shot some of my regular arrows out of it and it keeps shooting to the right. I know it won't be perfect but I'd like it to be close.

Comment

I have shot a few fish, but have never tuned my bowfising bow! I just load and shoot, and that has always worked fine!

Bisch

Comment

Maybe I'm over thinking it and I know a 1200 grain arrow won't tune too good in a 45lb bow but can you move the rest in or out to help things?

Comment

I'm like Bisch, just loaded and shot. Of course that was off the shelf. Eyeball and line your string up down the center line of your bow and see where the arrow is in comparison with the string. You can run your rest in or out to line the arrow and rest up with the centerline of your bow. Clears as mud, huh. That's about all you can do.

Comment

Me also, off the shelf, with fishing reel string tied onto arrow. That fishing line tagging/dragging behind will help tame her down. And like they said, don't over think it, you're just gonna be shootin some ol nasty rough fish Put ya some fuzzy side Velcro on your sight window, all the way across your shelf, and maybe build up edge of shelf by shaping a small scrap of wood and epoxy it on. (before sticking the fuzzy Velcro across shelf) sorry, kinda got that outta order. God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Get a better rest. Move it one way, if it gets worse, move it the other way haha

Shoot into the water. You want a minimal splash when it enters the water. This is how you "paper tune" a bowfishing bow.

Comment

Originally posted by TXMark View Post
                      It's the regular one. I have noticed that too. I may have to get another rest but still need to know how to tune. I'm not too proficient with arrow rests. I'm a trad guy. Don't use rests. Lol
                      Take super glue and pile it on the bristles. I had a regular biscuit and did the super glue. I'm going on my 3rd year with it. It's as hard as a rock. Also like mentioned earlier the string attached to the arrow will have a complete different flight than with no string attached. Like Bisch said don't over think it. Set your nocking point and go shoot some fish in the face.

Comment

Ditch the rest and don't worry about it. It will work just fine. Go kill some fish. A fish arrow would have to be about 6 feet long to bare shaft to that bow.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by LeanMachine; 04-26-2015, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                          Ditch the rest and don't worry about it. It will work just fine. Go kill some fish. A fish arrow would have to be about 6 feet long to bare shaft to that bow.
                          That is a sick amount of fish

Comment

Originally posted by TXMark View Post
                            No. Just the arrow. I have also shot some of my regular arrows out of it and it keeps shooting to the right. I know it won't be perfect but I'd like it to be close.
                            When you shoot with the string attached to the arrow it will probably track down the center. At least at bowfishing distance. Give that a try before you spend a bunch of time doing anything more complicated.

Comment

fill the whisker biscuit full of superglue to harden it up of you using it only for bowfishing. it should help with flight.

Comment

Working...
                              X