Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Worked wonders for arthritis/joint pain, too. "

Yep, that was definitely a fringe benefit for me. Still maintaining at 197 and feel great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Been on it now for about 10 weeks or so but I've only really been good about it for about 6 weeks. Working out 4 days a week on my lunch hour, so about 35 min a session. I've dropped right at 30lbs but the best part is, I'm off my my blood pressure medicine. Thats huge for me. Even if there was no other benefit, that would be enough. But my energy is better, and more constant throughout the day, and I just feel better. Looking to get back down to the 205lb range. I was right at 250 and pretty jiggly in January of this year.

Comment

Good thread!!

I've been on a Keto diet since January. I was in pretty good shape already, but I am really trying to make a lifestyle change. I run about 40 miles a month and have not really noticed any performance issues. The first two weeks were tough, but I adapted and have been good since.

It's pretty sad to look around as see the results of the so called "Food Pyramid" thats being pushed on us - obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol. Nothing like doing what the doctor (AMA) and Gov't (FDA) say and then being forced to take 10 different overpriced medicines to be "healthy". Doctors and pharmaceutical companies don't make much money by making you really healthy.

Every person is different, but it doesn't take a PhD to see that what has been recommended for the last 60 years in wrong. Do your research, experiment, and above all do what works for you.

Copedog
        Last edited by Copedog; 04-10-2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Copedog View Post
          Good thread!!

I've been on a Keto diet since January. I was in pretty good shape already, but I am really trying to make a lifestyle change. I run about 40 miles a month and have not really noticed any performance issues. The first two weeks were tough, but I adapted and have been good since.

It's pretty sad to look around as see the results of the so called "Food Pyramid" thats being pushed on us - obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol. Nothing like doing what the doctor (AMA) and Gov't (FDA) say and then being forced to take 10 different overpriced medicines to be "healthy". Doctors and pharmaceutical companies don't make much money by making you really healthy.

Every person is different, but it doesn't take a PhD to see that what has been recommended for the last 60 years in wrong. Do your research, experiment, and above all do what works for you.

Copedog

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            That's because you're not eating carbs. There's no way this diet is sustainable or healthy. You can't eat all the eggs and bacon, butter and red meat you want and be healthy. Sure, you'll lose weight but that doesn't make it healthy.
            My thoughts too b4 i did the research and there are tons of carbs in foods once you start looking for them.

My brother-in-law has been eating this way for over 40 years since b4 Keto was cool.

Comment

Funny I thought I was in hog heaven we I found this but I think I'm getting tired of bacon!!

lol never thought I could say that.

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
                For what it's worth, I've been in nutritional ketosis for 16 consecutive months. Every health marker I know to measure has improved drastically (H-A1C, BGL, HDL, LDL, VLDL, TGL, hsC-rp, BP, TSH, testosterone, body fat) and I'm off six prescription medicines (zero now). Energy is constant, I feel better at 40 than I did at 30 (or 20 for that matter). Worked wonders for arthritis/joint pain, too.

Calories in-calories out was a losing battle for me. The metabolic and hormonal advantages of nutritional ketosis combined with nutrient density from unprocessed foods and intermittent fasting are my normal-why would I go back to what I know doesn't work for me? It's nothing new-my ancestors are this way until the last few decades.

Just my experience. YMMV. But it's worth a shot.

Amen I lived 2 years with things like egg whites and low fat diet trying to lower my LDL. Didn't help at all my DR said well you just make too much so here take this pill........

So yes this is worth a shot when i see others doing it going off meds vs on meds. Only numbers that matter to me are internal not the scale.

Comment

I had extremely high cholesterol when we checked it about 2 years ago. We dropped every ounce of dietary cholesterol we could out of our diet, got a personal trainer three times a week at the house, and I lost about 20lbs in 6 months.... my cholesterol only went dow from 289 to 283 with ALL THAT. I will be very interested to see my cholesterol after 5-6 months of this diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Copedog View Post
                    Good thread!!

Copedog

Truth, if you want to watch a good independent movie about the Pharm industry, watch Chris Bells production of Prescription Thugs on Netflix.

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                    Funny I thought I was in hog heaven we I found this but I think I'm getting tired of bacon!!

BLASPHEMY!

Amen I lived 2 years with things like egg whites and low fat diet trying to lower my LDL. Didn't help at all my DR said well you just make too much so here take this pill........

So yes this is worth a shot when i see others doing it going off meds vs on meds. Only numbers that matter to me are internal not the scale.
                    Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                    I had extremely high cholesterol when we checked it about 2 years ago. We dropped every ounce of dietary cholesterol we could out of our diet, got a personal trainer three times a week at the house, and I lost about 20lbs in 6 months.... my cholesterol only went dow from 289 to 283 with ALL THAT. I will be very interested to see my cholesterol after 5-6 months of this diet.

Their has been research done lately that says dietary intake of cholesterol has no effect on your actual cholesterol level. But, take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

Mark Bell is saying he wants to loose 10 lbs in 2 wks with keto. He is a big advocate for the keto diet. Lets see what he got.

Mark's all about that transparency, so when he wants to bring you a video series about his weight loss, he makes it happen. Follow along as Mark strives to l...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                      I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

How do you cook your bacon? Try doing it in the oven and sprinkle it with different spices and whatnot to mix it up every now and then. When we get the urge, I sprinkle Splenda Brown sugar on it. Bacon crack, I tell you.

This cook book is excellent for recipes. The author also runs a Facebook group "Low Carb Journey (Cooking Keto with Kristie)" that you can ask questions and is a wealth of information.

Comment

Down to 157.4. My process was faster the first week, but it is still very consistent. That's 15.4 pounds so far, in 3 weeks. Pretty good. And, I'm never hungry! I have noticed that if I ever have hunger feelings, it is typically because I haven't had enough water that day. You really Donne to be vigilant about your water intakez

Comment

I'm really cramming in nutrients, so my calorie count is up. I've averaged almost 70g total carbs/day (net would be lower since it's all from vegetables and nuts) but ketones were still just over 2mm last night. I'm really surprised how easy it it's to stay very comfortably in ketosis after being in it well over a year.

Comment

Ya, after some initial learning about what will and won't effect your ketosis... it is SUPER simple to stick to this diet after the first few weeks. I have had too many cheat days, but I very quickly end up back in ketosis. Most of my "cheats" are vodka with a carb/sugar free mixer so it isn't a Keto buster.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                                Down to 157.4. My process was faster the first week, but it is still very consistent. That's 15.4 pounds so far, in 3 weeks. Pretty good. And, I'm never hungry! I have noticed that if I ever have hunger feelings, it is typically because I haven't had enough water that day. You really Donne to be vigilant about your water intakez

That is really significant. Do you feel you lost at least 12 lbs of fat? You should be looking really lean! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X