Ag Lime vs Pellet Lime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ag Lime vs Pellet Lime

Everywhere I look I see people saying when comparing pellet and ag lime you need less pellet lime to raise Ph but you have to apply it more frequently.

On the flip side I see where people say if your soil test calls for one ton of lime you have to put one ton of ag lime or one ton of pellet lime because lime is lime.

So. Can anyone link me to a credited study that will give me a definitive answer?

Man I used to have some good research on this. I will have to do some digging but alot went away when the QDMA forum ceased.

But basically a ton of Ag Lime is virtually the same as Pelleted Lime. Now how fast they starting working is a different story. Pelleted lime has much smaller granules than Ag lime so it breaks down quicker and starts working much faster. Ag Lime would "last" longer....which meant to me that it took longer for the lime to break down and enter the soil because it had bigger granules. Its the same product just processed differently.

Bags of pellet lime will have the equivalent of ag lime on the package. It was always very close. Something like 1800 lbs of pellet lime = one ton of ag lime.

Other then begin a pain to spread and more expensive ....pelleted lime always worked pretty well for me and you would notice a pH change fairly quick (rain pending).

Comment

Thank you for the info, that is the same conclusion I have come to. What a sad day when we lost the QDMA forum.

Comment

Working...
      X