thumb release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thumb release

wanting to try a thumb release any helpful hints on what to buy and what to look for please help if u can

Truball

Comment

never used one but all i ever hear about are carter thumb releases.

Comment

Handle size that fits you, trigger that has good tension and travel adjustments, loading system you like, good reputation. Scott, Truball, and Carter are among the best. You will get what you pay for.

I shoot a Carter Chocolate Addiction and I love it.

Comment

Where are you located? I have a couple different that you can try if it would help. I am in NW Fort Worth. Pro shops will also let you try out several to see what fits the best.

Comment

I bought one from Truefire out of Lancaster Acrchery's catalog. I wanted one that was adjustable and didn't break the bank in case I didn't like it. this one is both. it shoots like a higher end model, but with low end cost. I can't remember the name of it now, but just go to lancaster archery website an you can look at what they have.

Comment

This a good video on how to get the release fit to your hand....Very important is the set up of the thumb barrel on the release

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl0TWA9ZztI"]Archery tips and tricks #1 tips and trick for thumb trigger release aids - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I have the truball max pro 4 and I love it. when I first got my bow I was using a finger tab. I tried the trigger release and didn't care for it as much. I tried the max pro 4 and it was just right for me.

Comment

TruBall pro 4 is my hunting release, Hands down my favorite triggered release ever. I shoot hinge releases for tournaments and practice most of the year, I switch over to my truball usually in August.

Comment

Boss X has done me well.

Comment

First thing, is to find one that fits your hand. Lots of folks buy them too big, and even though they are called "thumb releases", you do not actuate it with your thumb. It should still be shot like a back tension.

Second, get one with a good trigger. There is a big jump in price between the entry level releases, and really good ones. The feel and performance is obvious when you try them out side by side.

Third, practice with it. A bunch. It may change where you anchor your hand, and you need to ingrain that position, so it becomes natural.

There should be no tension in your hand or forearm. If your palm is flat against your cheek, you've gone too far. It should be a natural placement of your hand. For me, the space between my index and middle knuckle rests on the back edge of my cheekbone, plus the string touches the tip of my nose and the corner of my mouth. The bottom of my earlobe just barely touches the back of my hand.

Good brands to look at:
                      Carter
                      Stan
                      Scott
                      Tru-Ball

I transitioned to a hand held release a few seasons ago. It was a surprisingly simple change for me. I started with a TruFire 3D Hunter, which was affordable, and an ok release. I tried out a bunch of others, and then stumbled across a deal on a Carter Big Kid (now called the Target 4), and have been shooting it ever since. It has really been fantastic. I really like how the Stan Shootoff feels in my hand and how it shoots. It is on next on my wish list. Lately I've been fooling around and really liking shooting a hinge release, I see one of them in my future as well. I don't have any problem switching between any of them, as the shot execution is the same with all of them.

Comment

carter chocolate addiction 4 for large hands

Comment

I have a Carter sensation and a Stan sx2...I got to give the nod to the sx2..it's so comfortable and you can customize it so many ways. Like the travel distance of the trigger. The trigger pull.... And direction of the thumb barrel in relationship with your hand. Can't beat it..

Comment

I have been very happy with my Carter Target 4.

Comment

I have a Truball Sabretooth that I really like.

Comment

Working...
                              X