Flat Tops / Routt National Forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Tops / Routt National Forest

Allright all of you elk hunters, looking for a little help and info. Going on my first ever Colorado elk hunt, will be hunting the area mentioned in the title. We will be there the 3rd week of September this year, supposed to be around the rut. My questions are -

1 - Do any of y'all have any experience in this area ?
    2 - Are there any TBH'ers going to be there at the same time ?
    3 - Any do's/dont's for a first timer ?
    4 - does anyone have camera and lens recommendations for taking pictures of mountain scenery ?

I'm sure there will be a lot more questions to ask, but I guess this should be a good start. And yes, I have been studying the elk threads

Thanks for looking !

For the evening crowd

Comment

the only time I hunted there was twenty years ago. beautiful country. there was a lot of elk and hunters then I don't know if that helps.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

Hunted there about 20yrs ago as well. If you have never been you are in for a real treat!

Comment

Originally posted by texaswoods5 View Post
          the only time I hunted there was twenty years ago. beautiful country. there was a lot of elk and hunters then I don't know if that helps.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android
          Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
          Hunted there about 20yrs ago as well. If you have never been you are in for a real treat!
          Thanks guys !

Comment

What unit you going to hunt? I have spent some time in that country. And its like most, they are either there or there not. If not keep moving.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
              What unit you going to hunt? I have spent some time in that country. And its like most, they are either there or there not. If not keep moving.
              We'll be in 33-34 the most. I've been studying google earth and notice some water and meadows on the northern side of the Little Flattops. I can't see any roads or trailheads for a few miles from this area. Thanks for the help !

Comment

The problem your going to run into with these question is if someone hunts that area there not going to give up the info on this forum. Ask for pm's is the way to go! IMHO. Hope that helps

Comment

Me my brother and a couple of other guys hunted up near Meeker a few years back. We went 50% one 5x5 and a cow. If your going first rifle and you don't get one the first day it would be best to hunt up higher and in the dark timber. Once the shooting starts they head for the thick stuff and they stay there. If I had it to do over I would find a good trail headed into dark timber on opening morning and set on it. Its beautiful country you will have a great time. I would recommend you get in shape that altitude is rough, you can hike a mile uphill there and it will feel like ten.

Comment

Our trip was cancelled due to the Colorado gun legislation. I'm going to Nebraska now

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X