Arrow shelf location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow shelf location

I just built a red oak board bow, 70" - 50# at 28" draw.
    Followed the build along from*http://poorfolkbows.com/

He didn't say where to cut the arrow shelf alltho it appeared to be above center.
    I went ahead and cut mine at center and seems to shoot well.
    I measured two compounds and they appear to place the arrow at center.
    On another bow build however he specified the arrow shelf at 1.25" above center.
    And looking at Huntingpool's new longbow, his looks to be about 1.5" above center.

So, my question is does it matter? And why would you place it above center.
    Wouldn't that make the limb forces uneven? And i shoot split finger if that matters.

Another question is brace height. "At 70" nock to nock it braces 5" with 68" string.
    Is that enough brace?
    Last edited by ottert; 03-06-2011, 02:55 PM.

This is Arvin. Huntinpool's bow should have the shelf cut in 1.25 " above center. (We are talking about his selfbow) This may cause your upper limb to be 1/4" positive. But thats ok. That is not always the case with my selfbows. Some of them are even. This will affect string noch height some, but thats one we all have to figure out on our own. I like my string noch set at 1/4 " high, depending on the bow. If the string is smacking you below the wrist, it is braced to low. A good starting brace on my bows is from 6" to 7 1/4 " from the throat of the bow to the string.

Comment

As to why we put cut our shelves 1.25" above center, the best answer I have is because Bob Sarrels said so. Huntinpool I am sure will chime in with the correct answer.

Comment

Thanks for replying.
        I'll raise the brace to 6" as it does have a slight wrist slap.
        I know raising the shelf would allow more grip room but it just seemed like the arrow
        should be shot from center.
        Maybe Bob will see this. I don't question it other than trying to understand why.

Comment

Sorry, double post

Comment

Originally posted by ottert View Post
            Thanks for replying.
            I'll raise the brace to 6" as it does have a slight wrist slap.
            I know raising the shelf would allow more grip room but it just seemed like the arrow
            should be shot from center.
            Maybe Bob will see this. I don't question it other than trying to understand why.
            The limb force is not exactly even. One limb is positive and the other negitive. We know that it is supposed to be this way, but we don't know why, either.

Comment

You would probably enjoy all of the information in The Traditional Bowyers Bible. I think there are 4 volumes.

Comment

Even if the shelf on a compound is at center, The arrow is tuned to be centered on the bolt hole for the rest. I think the center of the bow should be the deepest part of the grip. Bob could explain it better I'm sure but you will not be pulling from the center of the string if your shelf is centered. Tiller is adjusted to compensate for the off center design. Most bows are tillered around a 1/4" shorter on the bottom limb or even. Then arrow nock point is 1/4" to 1/2" above center line of shelf .

Comment

We call him Mr. Wizard at our house.

Comment

Ok. I did see something about 1/4" diffrence between top and bottom determining
                    which one was top limb. Mine came out even top and bottom so I left it there.
                    Must be why it shoots ok.

I think I understand now. The shelf is cut higher to allow for
                    the grip and the upper limb is weakened with up to 1/4" tiller to compensate for
                    being above center.

I raised the brace to 6" and no more wrist slap. Thanks.

Terry
                    Last edited by ottert; 03-06-2011, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X