longer fletchings versus shorter ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

longer fletchings versus shorter ones

is the performance difference with the 5-5.5" fletchings significant versus the shorter ones.

Depends on if you're talking about say a standard 3"-4" vane or a Blazer vane. I've had great success with Blazer's. A standard 3"on the other hand required a much better tuned set up and made broadhead tuning much more dificult.

Comment

5.5 inch feathers are generally higher than a 5" feather. They will stablize your arrow quicker which is good when in thick brush. They will slow down your arrow more past say 20 yards.

Most people that shoot a 4" feather will shoot 4 4" feathers instead of 3. There is more fletching contact with your arrow shelf.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all of them.

Comment

I use standard 4`` vanes for 3d targets and blazer vanes for hunting.

Blazers provide accuracy and better broadhead flight.

Comment

Can't wait to see some of them Blazers on an 11/32" woody...

I like the 5.5" for big broadheads... although they do slow the arrow down out past 20 or so... I ain't shooting that far no way...

Comment

Im a big fan of using alot of feathers.
            It surely slows my arrow down some but not enough that I notice

Comment

To add to this discussion, what about twist. I have always been under the impression that the more twist the better. And what about feather shape, the rounded end/back versus the pointed/squared off back?

Comment

20 yards seems to be the "tipping" point for me as well!

With similar weighted shafts I get a much more noticeable arc at longer distances with the 5.5" feathers as opposed to the 4" (both 3 fletch). I haven't hunted with the larger feathers, but they do seem more forgiving during practice sessions at hunting ranges in the yard. The "arc" really isn't all that bad, and I've found that after a couple days of shooting "big feathers only" my brain can readjust for the longer shots.

I shoot as much helical on my shafts as the jig and arrow diameter will allow for and prefer shield cut (purely aesthetics) although parabolics seem a bit quieter to my ear.

Comment

I stole buffs feather choice and got a banana chopper. I love the banana shaped feathers. I shot a lot of stuff the past two years with them so def won't be changing.

Comment

the smoother the trailing edge the quieter the arrow. I use 3x 4" parabolics on all my trad gear. 2" razor style on my wheel gear. Feathers are the only thing I use

Comment

If you have high FOC you can use less fletching. I use 3-4" parabolic feathers and can put just about any broadhead I want to on the end of my arrow and it will fly good.

If your arrows are marginally tuned, then you will want bigger feathers. If they are well tuned, then it is really personal preference.

Bisch

Comment

4 inch is all I need and use. Unless... I'm in the thick stuff, then it's 5.5 magnum Nanner fletch !!

Comment

[QUOTE=Greywolf in Hawaii;6632847]4 inch is all I need and use. Unless... I'm in the thick stuff

Oh my....hard to let this one go....but I'm gonna try

Comment

[quote=Campxmas;6632904]
                            Originally posted by Greywolf in Hawaii View Post
                            4 inch is all I need and use. Unless... I'm in the thick stuff

Oh my....hard to let this one go....but I'm gonna try
                            Like I said,Then........ I make it a lil longer LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X