Videos showing how grip pressure affects limb timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Videos showing how grip pressure affects limb timing

To me these videos show you can't use the rule of thumb for bow tiller. It really makes a difference in the type of grip on the bow and the way the shooter holds it. Because of the higher wrist grip on my bows I will start tillering them 1/8" negative tiller and see how they shoot and adjust as needed. These high speed slow motion videos show some amazing stuff.
    Here is the first video that shows the effect of putting pressure low on the bow grip. I intentionally pushed hard with the lower palm of my hand on this video. The bow is 63" nock to nock with equal distance between the top and bottom limb from the string. The nock height is 7/16" above the shelf. I also used and aluminum arrow because they flex more than carbons which helps show the effect. You can also see how much osculation there is in the limbs because the low grip pressure really messes with the limb timing.

High speed low grip effect video

Here's the second video. Same bow same settings I just pulled on the riser grip with my lower 2 fingers which took the pressure off the lower limb. The arrow still flexes some but doesn't kick up like it did in the first video. Also the bow limbs settle down quicker.

High speed high grip video

I'm changing my tiller tree setup to adjust for grip type, pressure point affected fulcrum, and finger position on the string.

Your tiller will also affect nock position on the string, so they all work together. I can set my bows to zero tiller and shoot them at 3/4" nock height, or set them to 3/8" tiller and shoot them at 3/8" nock height and achieve the same tune. The whole system works together.

Good videos though. It is something many folks don't really know about.

Comment

I've been trying to tell folks this for years:

The tiller & timing of the limbs are directly effected by how you put your hand on the bow, thus will have a direct impact on both nock point height, and even what stiffness arrow you need.

Every physical input has a direct impact on your final tune, and one tune don't/won't fit all. Something as common as different hand size changes things dramatically.

A bow that is tillered & timed withing a reasonable window (zero to +1/4") is tunable for anyone whether shooting split finger or 3 under.

In other words - It pretty much winds up being pretty specific to the person holding the bow.

Rick

Comment

My little pea brain is too small for me to understand what exactly I was seeing in the videos, but I do know that how you grip the bow effects how you shoot.

I tiller my bows even, shoot split finger, and have right at a 3/4" high novking point on just about every bow I own.

Bisch

Comment

Bisch, if you tillered your bows with the lower limb 1/4"-3/8" strong, like most bows, your nocking point for split would be closer to 3/8".

There is no right or wrong here, just - as Rick Says - cause and effect. Everything is connected and relates to everything else.

Comment

Bisch it can be hard to see but if you watch the videos and watch the slide at the bottom of the video you can see where the release happens. Put your pointer just before that spot. Then you can click on it and do quick repeats of the shot portion to get a better view. On the first video you can see that the nock end of the arrow drops immediately on release then if you watch the arrow as it passes the tree in the background you can see it is flying tail high. Thats because the nock end of the arrow hit the shelf and kicked up. This all happened because the bottom limb was stressed more than the top limb which pulls the nock end of the arrow down at release. Clear as mud???

Comment

Thank you for posting this very informative video along with the effects... I love this stuff, the more I learn, the more I figure out how little I know

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                Thank you for posting this very informative video along with the effects... I love this stuff, the more I learn, the more I figure out how little I know
                Boy ain't that the truth. I've been coaching and tuning and shooting target archery for over 12 years now, and I'm still learning every week it seems.

Like a lot of subjects, it's easy to think you know a lot when you don't know how much there is to know.

Comment

Ok a question for u tiller guys cuz im with bisch I dont understand this stuff but I am shooting a longbiw I have been shooting for the past cpl years with the same string that has been on it and same knocking point I have always shot lately I have been shooting to left and then sometimes a flier to the right and the bow seems harder to hold and im less steady at full draw than usually could something have happened to the string to affect tiller...cuz I have another sting that is exaclty the same string and I put it on the bow same knocking point and the bow seems fine arrows flying good down the middle and the bow is definitely louder with this other string but the bow always had a little louder noise when I shoot it and the other string has gotten quiter for no reason making me think the limbs timing is different between strings maybe...im not sure if what I just typed made sense but just was wondering if yall had any ideas

Comment

Its hard to tell without more info on your bow. How about more information about the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderwolf13 View Post
                      Ok a question for u tiller guys cuz im with bisch I dont understand this stuff but I am shooting a longbiw I have been shooting for the past cpl years with the same string that has been on it and same knocking point I have always shot lately I have been shooting to left and then sometimes a flier to the right and the bow seems harder to hold and im less steady at full draw than usually could something have happened to the string to affect tiller...cuz I have another sting that is exaclty the same string and I put it on the bow same knocking point and the bow seems fine arrows flying good down the middle and the bow is definitely louder with this other string but the bow always had a little louder noise when I shoot it and the other string has gotten quiter for no reason making me think the limbs timing is different between strings maybe...im not sure if what I just typed made sense but just was wondering if yall had any ideas
                      I've seen you shoot a lot, and never witnessed anything like that! Is it possible that you are human?

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                      X