Home building question? Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
    How much more money can it actually cost. My wife works for a home builder and she said they price insulation based on slab sq ft, so why not do the garage too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They price everything in the build by square foot.

Comment

Money... If you finish it out during construction your permitting cost will go up and of course so will your bids. If it's a custom home then they'll typically finish it out after CO inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
        Why would you add it? Just in case someone might convert it? Should they oversize the heat/ac system and stub out a line for future use??? Maybe pre-plumb the slab for an extra bathroom?

If there isn't an insulated demising wall that totally seals the garage off from the rest of the house all that heat or cold is going right into your attic over your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Like others said, you don't insulate an unconditioned space or you will get some sweating. The insulation would hold all the heat in the summer. It's not an economic thing, part of the building envelope.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            If there isn't an insulated demising wall that totally seals the garage off from the rest of the house all that heat or cold is going right into your attic over your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            I think you missed my point... As a builder why would you just blow in the garage attic? Rhetorical question...

Comment

I do have a insulated door and I insulated (rolls) my garage and it is much cooler in the summer now. I added a window unit where an exterior door used to be so I could work out there during the summer. A garage typically isn't that air tight (mine isn't) to where it causes problems.
              I'm glad I did it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
                I do have a insulated door and I insulated (rolls) my garage and it is much cooler in the summer now. I added a window unit where an exterior door used to be so I could work out there during the summer. A garage typically isn't that air tight (mine isn't) to where it causes problems.
                I'm glad I did it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

The only wall in this garage that isn't insulated is the one with the garage door. The garage in this house is much cooler in the summer than the previous home we owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X