2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    Like many people I would LOVE to find a little place in Montgomery County to hunt (other than the SHNF) but I imagine it's about like finding a place in Brazos or Wharton counties
    I have a MoCo bow lease but have been looking for another place hard to no avail. Very tough to find a place for sure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      If his brows are good, that deer may be a net booner.
      Thanks Bud!! I had planed to send ya that picture and forgot to.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Still have my target buck showing up. He's the only one with a drop tine I've seen on my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Good Deer

Comment

There are some great bucks on this thread. I'm sure these deer did not get that way just by eating corn. I know minerals and protein is how they get big but what if you have a small place (40 acres) surrounded by deer leases and you are lucky to see deer and don't have the equipment to plant food plots? I have been running 2 feeders for a year. But what else can you do on small acreage on a very low budget? I have thought about letting It grow up and just try to keep the fence rows mowed and the right-of-ways for hunting.

Comment

I normally have some great bucks on my place, this year the hogs are so thick, I'm not seeing the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
              There are some great bucks on this thread. I'm sure these deer did not get that way just by eating corn. I know minerals and protein is how they get big but what if you have a small place (40 acres) surrounded by deer leases and you are lucky to see deer and don't have the equipment to plant food plots? I have been running 2 feeders for a year. But what else can you do on small acreage on a very low budget? I have thought about letting It grow up and just try to keep the fence rows mowed and the right-of-ways for hunting.
              These deer all came from timber land, no protein(except maybe one neighbor). So it's possible, look what the national forest kick out every year.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2839.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	24507021

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                Pour a cpl bags of corn on the ground every cpl weeks and do basically nothing while providing more of a refuge.

Comment

Finally put some cameras out Thursday. Got one over a garguy pile of corn. Very interested in seeing what it brings. Got pics of a great buck there several times last year. Stands are already hung

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                    These deer all came from timber land, no protein(except maybe one neighbor). So it's possible, look what the national forest kick out every year.
                    [ATTACH]869093[/ATTACH]
                    INCREDIBLE

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                    Pour a cpl bags of corn on the ground every cpl weeks and do basically nothing while providing more of a refuge.
                    That is simple enough. Thanks.

Comment

Got 2 feeders and one blind partially finished before it got dark. Saw 4 very healthy looking does, 2 pulling in the road about 5pm and 2 more on the other side leaving about 8pm.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1905.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	24507048Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1903.jpg
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	24507049Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1909.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	24507050

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not very optimistic about the upcoming season. I kept two feeders running all year, but life got in the way and feeder went empty at the end of June. I finally made it up there a few weeks ago to get everything ready for bow season since I had done my major trimming of shooting lanes in February thinking I would just have to trim a few that fell or new growth. I get there and see that the timber company strip cut my end of the lease creating a lot of rework to do with little time before season to do it. I made another trip with my tractor to mow right of ways and shooting lanes and got stuck. It took me 3 hours to get out and get mowing again. Up there by myself during the middle of the week is ok in hunting season, but sucks when work needs to be done. Luckily my better sense decided to stop because I got too hot and frustrated.
                        Going back tomorrow to finish mowing, fill feeders, and put a camera or two up. I really never see bucks until the first week of September.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          Word.

'Member...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                            'Member...
                            Oh I know.

So I finished breaking in my new rifle barrel today. That was a long process but I'm glad it's done. I'll get my scope back on this week or next then I'll get it sighted for the Sept. 30 opener. I cannot wait!

Comment

In for Cherokee County. It's going to be a phenomenal year in East Texas for big antlers. Some of the biggest jumps in antler growth I have seen since I have been running cameras.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Didn't have time to put the new PVC feeder, but was able tgo pull cards this weekend.

Pigs still all over the place even tho no feeder has been up for a couple weeks. No pictures of bucks yet, which is usual so I'm not too worried, have all the doe still showing and have a new doe that showed up at new camera location, never seen her and she has a fawn with her.

I do know from camera pics at the end of last season there was one or two that made it through who should be pretty good this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X