D-I-Y Protein Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D-I-Y Protein Feeder

I am going to build a protein feeder using a 55 gallon barrel and a barrel band(http://www.bossbuck.com/products/parts/barrelband.html) to hold it up. For the feeding tubes i was thinking about using pvc pipe or some other material but i do not know how to do it. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Materials required for using pvc
    4" flange used for mounting a commode
    4" T
    About 4' of 4" pvc
    And I recommend using screws as well as pvc glue to connect the pvc to your flange and T.

I cant' say how long to make your downspout, use your own judgment as to how tall your legs are.
    Mount the flange to your barrel, attach the pvc to the flange, mount the T to the pvc, and cut about 8" extension to mount on each end of the T. get the extensions mounted and saw an angle out of each, (top to middle of pvc).

Comment

Thanks for the help jabel

Comment

I built two just like Jabel was describing, I have them so that I can remove the feeding tubes and attach my spinner when we are feeding corn, this way we can have two 55gal feeders in each pin and run one corn feeder in the AM and one in the PM and during protein time we fill both with protein reducing the amount of trips to the lease.

Hope the pics help!
        Attached Files

Comment

Those of you who have built these type of protein attachments did you have any problems getting the protein to stay in the tube. I built one and am having a problem with it running out.How did you slow it down?

Comment

Originally posted by hunterb1020 View Post
            Those of you who have built these type of protein attachments did you have any problems getting the protein to stay in the tube. I built one and am having a problem with it running out.How did you slow it down?
            You can either build an internal funnel to put inside the down spout or you can build a lip on the edge of it. Now the real problem is how do you all unclog it when it gets clogged up and it will get clogged up?

Comment

I built one out of pvc once, deer had it torn up within the weekend i put it out.

Comment

feeder

i want to say I read on another post your tee should be 42 in from the ground.

Comment

On the allseasons feeders website they specify that it should be 37". Seems like a good go-by.

Comment

Originally posted by gravesc987 View Post
                    I am going to build a protein feeder using a 55 gallon barrel and a barrel band(http://www.bossbuck.com/products/parts/barrelband.html) to hold it up. For the feeding tubes i was thinking about using pvc pipe or some other material but i do not know how to do it. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I used the same barrell band and also bought their 55 gallon drum 3 way poly lower unit. Easy to build, you can control the feed fall rate, and it adds about 100 pounds of feeder capacity to your 55 gallon drum. Buying the band and lower unit cost $115. so a 400 lb protien feeder cost me $115, not bad if you ask me.

Comment

i was going to use some kind of muffler pipe. what problems does that cause?

Comment

I have 3 of the boss buck 3 way units and they have worked great and lasted. I just ordered another last week.

Comment

I have also checked out the boss buck unit and it's a sweet fix for the price.

Comment

Working...
                          X