Chevy battery draining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevy battery draining

I took my truck in to the dealer 2 weeks ago because my stereo periodically wouldn’t work. They thought it was possibly the amp, but they had it all week and just reprogrammed the stereo. When I picked it up, I drove about ½ mile to Walmart. When I came out, it almost didn’t start. The lights all flashed on and off and it acted like a dead battery. I also got an error to service the trailer brake system. I took it back and they spent the next day looking it over. They couldn’t find anything wrong. They said my batteries, cables, and alternator were all good. They also told me that when they gave it back to me the day before they had to jump start it. I have had it for a week and it has acted up twice. It seems like the battery is draining during the night. If I go more than 1 ½ days without starting it, it barely starts and the battery is down to about 9 volts. I also get the service brake system error.

I am taking it back today after work. Do you have any thoughts?

2015 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4x4. 90K miles.

One thing that bothers me is that when I was picking it up, there was a man picking up his truck and he said he had a 2015 that was having all kids of electrical problems and they were reprogramming his radio. I hope they didn't insert some type of virus into my truck.

Sounds like battery issue to me.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
      I took my truck in to the dealer 2 weeks ago because my stereo periodically wouldn’t work. They thought it was possibly the amp, but they had it all week and just reprogrammed the stereo. When I picked it up, I drove about ½ mile to Walmart. When I came out, it almost didn’t start. The lights all flashed on and off and it acted like a dead battery. I also got an error to service the trailer brake system. I took it back and they spent the next day looking it over. They couldn’t find anything wrong. They said my batteries, cables, and alternator were all good. They also told me that when they gave it back to me the day before they had to jump start it. I have had it for a week and it has acted up twice. It seems like the battery is draining during the night. If I go more than 1 ½ days without starting it, it barely starts and the battery is down to about 9 volts. I also get the service brake system error.

I am taking it back today after work. Do you have any thoughts?

2015 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4x4. 90K miles.

One thing that bothers me is that when I was picking it up, there was a man picking up his truck and he said he had a 2015 that was having all kids of electrical problems and they were reprogramming his radio. I hope they didn't insert some type of virus into my truck.
      Are your battery cables crimped or soldered?

Comment

Stop by you local auto parts store and have them independently test your batteries. I am thinking one of them has a dead cell and its pulling the other battery down.

Comment

Dead cell in one battery, this cold will get weak batteries, if they are factory batteries you did good to get 3ish years out of them.

Comment

I have no clue on your newer truck but I have this issue on a 2004 GMC 2500HD. My problem is a bad ignition switch. You can take the key out without the switch being completely turned off. It is an extra truck so I have never fixed it. I just make sure I turn the thing completely off.

-john

Comment

Original batteries. I don't know if soldered or crimped.

It is odd that it started when they had it for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                Dead cell in one battery, this cold will get weak batteries, if they are factory batteries you did good to get 3ish years out of them.
                This ^^^

Comment

Have batteries load tested at oriley autozone etc. You can watch how to find a parasitic drain on your battery videos on YouTube. Ignition switch going bad is a cause also like mentioned above. I'd carry a noco genius boost jumper with you, till u can isolate the issue.

Comment

You can test your batteries w a volt meter too, test em sitting still truck not on, then have a buddy turn the key and watch what the meter drops to. If your alternator was bad you wouldnt make it very far running solely on battery power.

Comment

Might run it make sure the batteries are charged, disconnect the batteries and let it sit a couple of days. Hook'em back up and see if it starts. If it starts something's probably drawing them down if it doesn't start I'd probably put batteries on it. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by duckheadchili View Post
                        Might run it make sure the batteries are charged, disconnect the batteries and let it sit a couple of days. Hook'em back up and see if it starts. If it starts something's probably drawing them down if it doesn't start I'd probably put batteries on it. Hope it helps. Good luck.
                        I thought about doing this.

I wonder how the dealer checked everything out. They said it is all good. I would think if there was any doubt they would be asking for money.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                          Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                          Original batteries. I don't know if soldered or crimped.

It is odd that it started when they had it for a week.
                          Originally posted by duckheadchili View Post
                          These three are the best spot to start to locate problems. I know I had a dead cell in two batteries this summer. Only became an issue when then truck sat for more than a day or two.

Comment

Sounds like the dealer didnt test anything....if they had to jump it to get it to you... uh there is a problem. Got a bad battery more than likely.

Comment

Had this problem with my wifes Jeep. It's definitely a dead cell in the battery. Her jeeps would start but barely and the radio was always reset or something. It even affected the A/C. If you have a volt meter do a test yourself, but almost certainly its a bad battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X