Thinking Recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cotton View Post
    I'm a little rusty and won't hunt with it until I become more proficient but I think I could pull off a 5 yard shot!
    LOL.... I thought that a couple times and I was mistaken

Comment

COTTON new man law use recurve.

Comment

I shot for 4 hours Saturday with all intentions of hunting with it that evening and the next morning. I'm just not there yet. I average three out of six arrows in a 3" circle at 15 then the other three who knows?

At least now I'm beginning to feel the good shots and recognize some things I’m doing wrong on the bad ones.

Comment

Cotton, are all your arrows spined equally? Are you shooting broadheads or fieldpoints only? If you're arrows are matched to your bow, it can cause accuracy problems that seem like form flaws. Of course, bad form can cause your arrows to do some wierd stuff too.

I've got to ask you know? We called it brainstorming in the Air Force. Ask all questions no matter how dumb they seem.

Comment

Cotton, shoot 3 arrows at a time, quit trying for robinhoods! My first 3 shots are my best and the first shot is usually the best of the 3.

Comment

Tracy don't worry I need all the help I can get. However I did raise my nock point and it seemed to help a great deal on arrow flight. The arrows are all the same but I'm not too sure that they are the right spine. Bare shafts hit where the fletched ones do but are nock left? They are 29" 5575 GT with weight tubes, 125 grain points shooting 55#s.

Ed, I only wish I was good enough to separate the bad ones from the good. Unfortunately I keep them mixed up so I never know which it will be.

I do however think I'm making progress by feeling the good shots. I had no clue before so I had nothing to reference. Even though I shot trade many moons ago I’m basically starting total new I shot gap off a spring rest before and I’m determined to go totally instinctive this go around.

Comment

Try putting about a 160 grain or heavier point on. See what happens. Sounds like you may be borderline stiff.

Also, when one shoots for groups they tend to get sloppy. You may tell yourself you don't mind a "robinhood", but subconsiously you don't want to damage your arrows. Shooting groups should be reserved for working form at the bale. Stand about 10 FEET from a bag target, get centered and and work on form. The only grouping you want is to make sure you're hitting the target. Your main concern is, "am I doing everything right?". Bow arm, draw elbow, anchor, your grip on the string, etc. A smooth release should have your draw hand past your ear, not dropping to your shoulder or waving the gnats away from your face (so to speak).

Shoot, if you can get the first arrow in a 4 inch circle at 15 yards everytime, you're already outshooting almost 50% of all trad bowhunters (sadly). PLUS, when that deer does step into your shooting lane? Your focus will intensify. That thing called "predator mode" kicks in. You can FEEL the pulsing of the deers blood as it courses though its veins. You can hear your own breath and you think it's WAY too loud. Next thing you know, your fletching is like a tatoo on the deers chest. Then everything kicks into high gear again and the deer races off. What a rush. Limbs crashing, birds blasting away, and then silence....

No, if you can get in the "pie plate" at 15 yards with the first shot. You'll be okay. Just don't try to force the shot.

Comment

Cotton,
                  I shoot GT 3555 and get excellent flight and stabilty. Maybe you are over spined. Just a thought.

Comment

Cotton I would tend to think that you would need a 30.5" arrow at least with
                    200 grains at tip if your shooting 5575's.

Comment

Working...
                    X