Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what age did you feel comfortable letting kiddo hunt on their own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
    As soon as he took his hunter safety class, of course. 12
    This for me

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine was 10 the first time I let him hunt alone, but I made sure I was nearby.

Comment

12 for my daughter and son.

Comment

I think I was 39

Comment

I was 13 I think before my dad let my sit by myself. And this was before the age of cell phones, so we used walkie talkies. I have no doubt he just drove out of sight and parked and waited (staying close to me). But he was adamant about gun safety before he let me hunt alone

Comment

I think I was 14 when I sat in the blind by myself rifle hunting. Then pretty much on my own. By the time I was 16 and driving, I’d do weekends by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by meathunter View Post
                I think I was 39
                Pretty sure it was the 4-0 for me. My oldest was 14 at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                  Not sure I'll ever let mine hunt by himself.....I enjoy it too much! Lol. He's 13 with a ton of kills under his belt so I know the time is near unfortunately.
                  It was the same with me. Fortunately, they still with hunt with me. And my wife will if I promise to be quiet.

I was 7-8. 50+ years ago. Raised in the country

Comment

I think it all depends on the kid.

Comment

I was 9. My son is 10 and not near ready.

Comment

12 like a lot of y’all. Dad wasn’t concerned he knew he could trust me.

Comment

Depends on the weapon and situation. Since we don't hunt "blinds" with the exception of one that we use for the younger kids, there are additional considerations to be made with individual factors.

Are they climbing 30' up a tree? I might be more inclined to have them go to a ladder stand first instead of a lock-on or climbing stand. I'm also more inclined to turn them loose with a rifle earlier than a smokeless MZ. I currently have three kids that are actually hunting, but only one phone for them to share. I like to be within radio range, but that's not always possible.

I'm also inclined to "turned them loose" on the farm they've grown up hunting sooner than a new, unfamiliar farm. I know some landowners might have concerns with this wild bunch.

So far it's varied from 11-12 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X