Muzzleloader help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzleloader help

Hey guys- I won a 50 cal cva in a raffle and got a scope on it but have no clue on what type of powder, loads etc to buy? Can anyone recommend what’s best for deer hut in with it?

Thanks

Well the instruction will tel you max load it could be 100 grains or 150 most will use pellets they come in 30 or 50 is most common in a 50 cal most will shoot a 240-250 grn sabot i use the barnes bullets but that is what i like and they shoot great out of my Knight.

Pyrodex is one company but there are several . Some guys feel pellets are not good as you cannot work up the load use of loose powder is an option but a not as easy to deal with .

Comment

There are a lot of choices, I still shoot goex black powder ( ffg) , hornady Great Plains bullets in my tc Hawken or black belts ( in my inline) we can’t hunt with sabot bullets here. I also shoot some persision rifle bullets ( Keith style). I use 100- 110 grains of powder. I think you guys can use sabots , pelleted powder and scopes so your options are great.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
        Hey guys- I won a 50 cal cva in a raffle and got a scope on it but have no clue on what type of powder, loads etc to buy? Can anyone recommend what’s best for deer hut in with it?

Thanks
        I have been meaning to ask this exact same question about the exact same gun lol. I've had the gun for roughly 15 years and never shot it and no clue where the instructions are that came with it.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

here is link to all manuals I have no idea what model you have so you can go from here

I shoot a knight and yes in some states they have regs on bullets optics Here its wide open use what you want . I have shot the belted bullets they work ok but not as accurate as the barnes for me .

I am 4 high at 100 yards dead on at 150 and 6 low at 200 with a 240 grn bullet and 150 grains of pryodex . Has a stout recoil for sure topped with a 3-9 Burris with QD mounts returns to zero every time . I feel for a gun you need to you soap & water with its easier to take the scope off to clean
            Last edited by HDWRENCH; 11-30-2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I like Blackhorn 209. It cleans up much better than Pyrodex.

Comment

Congrats on your MZ!
                Assuming it’s a newer in-line muzzleloader with the 209 primer & the ability to shoot 100-150 grains of powder.

I’d go simple with 100 grains pellet powder (1 pellet=50 grains) with either Hodgdon triple 7 or IMR White Hot.

There’s lot of ammo choices too.
                Barnes Spit Fire (left blue in pic) or Powerbelt (green bullet) are great choices. I like the 250 grain bullets personally
                Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post

Thanks
                  Let's see a pic of the rifle.

And have you figure out what all you need?

Comment

Originally posted by mole View Post
                    I like Blackhorn 209. It cleans up much better than Pyrodex.

Yes sir, BH 209 is the shizzzt

Comment

Where are you planning to use it? Laws vary state to state.

Comment

I have a CVA Optima V2...it really likes 250 gr Shockwave sabots (.45 cal bullet, .50 cal sabot) and 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder. 2" groups at 100 yards and hits like a freight train!

Comment

Before deciding on a powder or bullets, I would first figure out the intent. Some states have very strict regulations on optics, powder, and bulllets. I personally love Thor bulllets you can call them and they will send a fitment set to try.

Comment

After you learn to shoot it, learn to clean it.

Comment

I have a .50 cal CVA optima magnum. I shoot Hodgdon triple 7 150 grain magnum charge (3 pellets), CCI 209 primer and Hornady SST 250 grain .45 cal Sabot.

Shoots well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X