Got Charged By A Buck Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got Charged By A Buck Tonight

I watched this dominant buck chase other bucks away for 45 min this evening. He had a doe that he was very committed to keeping others away from. At dark he followed her in the general direction I would have to go to walk back from the blind. 20 minutes later I was walking down the road and bumped the doe, who blew her alarm and noisily bounded up the road instead of running to either side of the road. As I walked further up the road, she blew the alarm again and this time moved to the side. A few seconds later I hear feet pounding the ground and rocks clanking as this buck ran at a full sprint towards me from behind. I spun while raising my gun and yelling HEY! and as I was about to fire a round off, he veered to the side once he was about 15ft away.
    Attached Files

Dang, too close.

Comment

Great story. I might have killed him.

Comment

I bet that got the blood flowing. Bucks get flat unpredictable in the rut.

Comment

Jealous buck. That coulda' been a rough ride.

Comment

I would have killed him

Comment

I would have shot him

Comment

Your name is Buck, right?

Comment

Crazy. He wasn't going to let some two legged dude breed his doe.

Comment

you could have gone all Cape Buffalo hunting on him. Shot him between the eyes at 10 yards and let slide to his death at your feet.

Comment

killing him would have been complete luck. He covered 30ft in 2 seconds and my gun wasn't even all the way up to my shoulder when he started to veer off. Aiming was out of the question. I was a millisecond away from just shooting "from the hip" towards it and hoping that at least the sound would scare it away if the bullet didn't connect.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                        you could have gone all Cape Buffalo hunting on him. Shot him between the eyes at 10 yards and let slide to his death at your feet.
                        Or......you could have just shat your skivvies. But that's another story.

Comment

I had something similar happen to me many years ago. I had used all four buck tags that season, stupidly. I later found a **** monster, that I never would have dreamed would be in that area. But I decided that I would go out looking for a axis to shoot with my Contender. I was walking along next to a creek, in a small valley, with hills on either side. I heard crashing down in the creek bottom, first thought was a armadillo. 90% of the time I heard a loud crashing noise out on that place, it was a armadillo running along on the rocks, with a bunch of large dried leaves on top of the rocks. Sounds like a heard of buffalo. So I hear all this crashing, did not get excited at first, then realized there were two of something moving in the creek bottom and then the way they were moving, I was pretty sure it was a buck chasing a doe.

Sure enough, a doe comes running up out of the creek bottom, saw me stopped dead. Then hear comes the buck up out of the creek bottom, the doe took off running. She did about a 30 yard radius half circle around me. Got on the opposite side of me, put me right between her and the buck. I figured the buck was going to do the same. Nope, he looked right at me, then started that stiff front leg strut and lowered his head and started coming my way, from about 30 yards away. I am thinking, this ain't happening. He kept coming closer and closer, head down, stiff front legs, I knew what was about to happen, so I started waving my arms above my head and then started yelling at him, he just kept coming. He got within 10 yards. I had the Contender cocked and was just about to drop him, when he stopped, stood there looking at me. Then I could tell he was trying to decided if he should continue with the idea of wanting to fight or walk around. I was yelling at him, I really did not want to explain to a game warden I had to kill buck number five for the season in self defense. The buck finally decided he did not need to fight me and walked around me. Then went back after the doe. Naturally, he was bigger than any of the four bucks I killed that season or the season before.

Comment

Good thing you didn't bend over to tie your boots.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                              I would have killed him

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                              I would have shot him

I would not even have thought for one second about shooting this buck......I would have reacted with cat-like reflexes by side stepping the beast, grabbing his left main beam whilst simultaneously tripping and flipping him onto his back, wrapping my left leg around his front legs in some form of jujutsu leg lock maneuver before giving him a nuggie on his head while whispering, “simmer down now boy....simmer down”.....that’s what I would have done.

[emoji6]

Comment

Working...
                              X