Permethrin for ticks- CDC study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good PSA thread, Bill.

In addition to other sources mentioned above, I know that Home Depot has Sawyers. In my local store, it's stocked with the mosquito control products.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear82 View Post
      Where is the best place to buy it? I need to put this to the test at my place. I stop every 30 mins when working to pull ticks off.
      Get this and make your own salutation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048EY6KY...529501040&sr=1

This is what we do, you mix in a sprayer with water and spray your clothes. You can also spray your camp site and it kills insects (even the good ones). Let the area dry before lettin your pets run around.

Comment

Gotten a few ticks in the last few months working at the land but since i started spraying that on my cloths, none to date (last 2 weeks).

Comment

Works great on everything with more than 4 legs.

Chiggars. Spiders. Ticks. Mosquitoes. Gnats. (Mosquitoes and gnats will circle and leave.)

I just wish it was effective on skin. On clothes - lasts 3 months or 3 washings (which for me would be 3 weeks).

Comment

I should have taken a photo this weekend. 6 dead ticks on permethrin sprayed socks.

Comment

Didn’t realize we were doing our 6 month olds pictures by lake lavon. Apparently they have been having some serious chiggers. Only had my boots sprayed with permethrin. I’m itching like a son of a gun today.

Comment

Don't yall forget: it works keeping skeeters off your clothing too. And other insects. I buy concentrate and mix it down. Then spray my pop-ups with it. Helps keep the black 8-legs out of there too. Mix according to directions on concentrate container.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  Don't yall forget: it works keeping skeeters off your clothing too. And other insects. I buy concentrate and mix it down. Then spray my pop-ups with it. Helps keep the black 8-legs out of there too. Mix according to directions on concentrate container.
                  Good idea Michael! Hadn't thought about spraying my pop up blinds!

Now as far as mosquitoes, I tried that once on an opening day teal hunt in the marsh at Winnie... sprayed all my clothes down good, hunting vest, hip boots, everything... at the last minute, I threw a can of deep woods off in my hunting vest rear pouch, you know, just in case... Dang good thing I did! Them dang skeeters were having a feast on me through my thin hot weather camo clothes until I got after 'em with the Off! That stuff might dissuade a few skeeters, but you dang sure better not depend on it for skeeter protection!!

Comment

Charlie! It just helps keep them off the clothing. They's blood thirsty vampires for sure . I keep Repel for the skeeters, most of the time. But some of the pig haunts I have, and sleeping all night in a tree, well the old Thermacell works best way up there . In the marsh, I keep Repel of Off there too.

Comment

Great thread!

Comment

what is the recipe to mix your own

Comment

Been using it for years. I spray my yard, fruits and vegs and even spray my dogs to keep the flies from biting their ears. Works as good as Deet on me. It's been used in auto spray systems for years in dairy and livestock barns. Permethrin is the synthetic version of pyrethrum that comes from chrysanthemum flower. The real deal Pyrethrum is very very expensive but may be a tad better. In Dairy barn spray it will instantly knock flies dead out of the air when the mist goes off.
                          I haven't seen any insect that it would not kill immediately. Any standing water where skeeters are breeding gets a little squirt and no more skeeters.
                          The good part is it is safe for human and pets. Not so good for fish.

Comment

I didn’t realize that this was such a secret. I’ve been treating my dog, kennel and porch with this for years. In 2011 we had ticks so thick you could literally watch them crawl out of the dirt in my dog run. 2 treatments 10 days apart innthe yard and dogs smacked them!

I use the same mixture (use the ratio and mixing instructions for barn/structure application found on the 10% concentrate bottle from TSC). I usually mix a gallon in March to treat my turkey clothes, use it to treat the dog a couple times in the summer and then his my dove clothes and archery clothes.

I soak the clothes till the almost drip, then let them hang dry.

Comment

Working...
                            X