Landscape Plant Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landscape Plant Ideas

The freeze / snow just about killed everything I had. In the backyard have 5 queen plans and 3 sagos that made it. I need to replant 3 large (32', 25', and 20') flower beds. I am not a green thumb or pretend to know what I should plant. Living in Pearland we have mostly mild to hot days.

I know I want colorful, easy to maintain, tropical as these beds surround our pool as well as a mix of large filler plants I need alot of smaller pretty plants. For the large plants I am thinking dwarf Oleanders or dwarf Crepe Myrtles, or Firebush. As far as smaller plants just a hodge podge of nice looking stuff.

For those that know your plants I would like your recommendations.

Your advice is welcomed .

Many Thanks

Let me ask my wife. She is the master gardener in the family and her passion is buying plants and planting. We lost a lot up here also to the weather.

Comment

Oleanders are poisonous.. so if you got kids or dogs thats a consideration.. Bottle brushes, and fire bushes are cool (larger), showcase pieces. as are russian sages

Pretty Space fillers that grow well are:
      Walkers Catmint Low (P)
      Mexican Bush Sage (P)
      Wondering Jew
      Hostas
      Sweet Potato Vine
      I personally love Ornamental Grasses myself,
      Gulf coast muhly grass
      Karl Forester as a vertical showpiece
      Miscanthus for a broader, larger grass
      Hamlin for a small bordering grass..

Comment

awesome recommendation on the bottle brush and fire bush. Since they will be right up next to the pool will they shed leaves or flowers? I don't want to create a mess in the pool.

Comment

I am in the middle of planting my backyard beds. Crotons, Trinettes, and Red Sisters Ti mixed with various palms. Hopefully I can get it done within the next week or so.

Comment

I know for a fact that some of the ornamental grasses will spread like wildfire so be careful.

Comment

I like firebush, purple fountain grass and Angelonias mixed together.
              Good mix of color and easy to maintain.

Bottle brush is excellent as suggested

Flame acanthus are another one and mix some smaller fillers like skullcap with them

Comment

Loropetalum, sunshine ligustrum, plumbago, esperanza, salvia greggii, mealy blue sage, coper canyon daisy, butterfly iris

Comment

Hibiscus are a pretty hardy plant and bloom spring to fall. lots of colors to choose from

Comment

are you sure sagos are dead? I have thought the same only to have them come back out

Comment

Do a native landscape. Good references are the LBJ Wildflower Center and the Texas Master Gardeners.

Comment

If around a pool I would stray away from bottle brush and especially crepe mytrles due to leaves dropping and making a mess. This has been my experience with three different pools. Knock out roses are colorful and low maintenance IMO.

Comment

Day lillies. Ours made it through the freezes and look great. Same with agapanthus.

Comment

Duranta, cape honeysuckle, lantana

Comment

Drift roses are an excellent choice for ground cover and lots of color. Hardy as well!

Comment

Working...
                              X