At what temp do you pull a brisket off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what temp do you pull a brisket off?

I have heard and done from 190-205 and I am looking to build on some consistency.

I usually pull at 190-192 rest in cooler with towel for 2 hrs. I want it at 140 for serving.

Please share what you do. Much Thanks!

What do you pull it off at?

What the peak temp you are looking for?

How long do you hold? at what temp?

What temp do you serve at?

You cant go by temperature. You have to give it the fork test. Stick a fork in it and try to twist the fork. You can tell by the feel when it gets tender. Some briskets will loosen up at 190 and some you will have to take to 205.

I put in an ice chest wrapped in towels or in an oven on warm until ready to serve. Sometimes I hold them up to 4 hours if necessary.

Comment

I'll usually pull around 195-198 range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
        You cant go by temperature. You have to give it the fork test. Stick a fork in it and try to twist the fork. You can tell by the feel when it gets tender. Some briskets will loosen up at 190 and some you will have to take to 205.

I put in an ice chest wrapped in towels or in an oven on warm until ready to serve. Sometimes I hold them up to 4 hours if necessary.

Spot on! In addition to the toothpick/fork test, holding briskets in a cooler for a couple of hours after the cook is the way to roll. I use a 65 QT cooler - works like a charm.

Comment

I don't go by temp. I start checking with a probe around 185 though. When the probe goes in like its warm butter is when I pull it. I let it sit on a counter for about 15 minutes. Than I wrap and place in cooler for resting. IMO, the longer you let it rest the better end product. I don't pay much attention as to what temp to serve. That's just over complicating a relatively easy process.

Comment

I pull at 200-205

Comment

I pull at 205, wrap in foil, then towel, then rest for 1/2 hour in ice chest, with no ice of course, throwing that in there because someonwill will have a remark lol. Then serve

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post

I understand the idea that most briskets cook differently and some are ready before others. I'm looking to build a range to start looking to taking them off mine is currently 190 and then a top end temp to draw a line that I will not let them pass.

I'm also looking for a hold time and serve temp.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                  I don't go by temp. I start checking with a probe around 185 though. When the probe goes in like its warm butter is when I pull it. I let it sit on a counter for about 15 minutes. Than I wrap and place in cooler for resting. IMO, the longer you let it rest the better end product. I don't pay much attention as to what temp to serve. That's just over complicating a relatively easy process.

Thank you. IMO the serve temp matters, just like the rest time. I do agree. I am making it complicated. Thats just how I do it. I can't help it.

Comment

At 175 brisket has taken all the smoke it's going to take. I pull off the smoker wrap it in foil and put it in the oven at 225. Pull it out at 205 and let it rest in the cooler until time to eat

Comment

198-205 here as a guideline....but it must pass the probe test first before it gets pulled. If it passes at 198 then it comes off. For sliced, most of mine end up passing the probe test at 200ish... for chopped I take it to 205 for ease of chopping and a softer chew.....

Rest for 1-2 hours in a cooler covered in a towel. The longer the better in my opinion.
                      Last edited by Smart; 01-28-2017, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Do like the pros do.

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
                          Thank you. IMO the serve temp matters, just like the rest time. I do agree. I am making it complicated. Thats just how I do it. I can't help it.
                          Their is no magic number for serving temp IMO. You do want to be mindful of safe food handling protocols.

I have let brisket rest anywhere from an hour to several hours. Each time I too them out of cooler after resting they were still piping hot. I try to let them rest a minimum of 2 hours but prefer 4 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by game stalker View Post
                            At 175 brisket has taken all the smoke it's going to take. I pull off the smoker wrap it in foil and put it in the oven at 225. Pull it out at 205 and let it rest in the cooler until time to eat

Funny you should mention this and an excellent point. I used to be a big advocate for keeping the brisket on the smoker after foiling until it was done just because "that's what smokers do." "Only Yankees put brisket in the oven" was my mentality...real BBQs take it to the finish line on the stick burner. LOL. i guess my Inner BoB was coming out.

However, as life and time has caught up with us, my smoker babysitting after the smoking and wrapping at 165-170, has taken a turn. I was pressed for time one afternoon and had to leave and decided that once I wrapped, I'd place it in the oven and let it finish while I went and tended to my 3 hour obligation. It was an incredible brisket when I returned. So I started thinking about it....I save fuel, save time running outside to the smoker and can work on other stuff until the Maverick goes off... Finishing in the given once its wrapped is a **** genius idea for those that have done it all this time. I apologize for the Yankee only labeling mentality..

Plus you can shut the oven temp down, open it up to cool for 5 minutes, close the door back up and leave the foiled brisket in there to rest for the 1-2 hours in an insulated oven. No cooler needed.

I'm sure I'll finish some off in my smoker still if I have friends over to drink whiskey/beer but when life gets in the way there are shortcuts that work **** well.

Comment

I don't go by temp. I fill my Firefox with wood and shut it off as best I can. I go to bed. Fill it again in the morning. I know its done when it jiggles like a hot chicks hinder after a good smack.

Comment

Working...
                              X