Largest Oak tree in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Largest Oak tree in Texas

If you live in the Brazoria county area you might not know that the largest oak in Texas is there. “The Big Tree” in Rockport was dethroned in 2003. I didn’t have a clue until several weeks ago my GF and I visited San Bernard Wildlife refuge. It’s not as empressive as the large tree in Rockport but it’s still huge. Figured Id give the folks here on TBH the heads up. If’d you like to see the tree I’d recommend going later in the fall because the Mosquitoes are BAD!!!
    Last edited by ostey22; 09-21-2018, 11:35 AM.

No pic WTH[emoji3]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Took a little bit to find a picture. That thing is huge, and the back story of being found then lost and found again by the fed biologist adds to it.

Comment

Was this a genetically altered, high fenced tree with non typical branches?

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
          Took a little bit to find a picture. That thing is huge, and the back story of being found then lost and found again by the fed biologist adds to it.
          Must be really huge pictures hasn't loaded yet

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

No pic

Comment

The 2nd largest(known)is actually in Brazoria county.. It's on private property, on the east bank of Oyster Creek, just west of Angleton.. I've seen it and it's a ancient beast of a knarly old live oak.. Seeing it will leave you slack jawed...

Comment

[ATTACH]925383[/ATTACH][ATTACH]925384[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Was this a genetically altered, high fenced tree with non typical branches?
                  This made me laugh.

Comment

Wow! Heck of a base

Comment

At one time the big oak on Hwy 90 in Columbus across from post office was 2nd biggest in Texas. My dads kinfolks lived there as a kid and has many pictures with him crawling around in the tree. Massive trunk on that tree. Don’t know what number it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by ostey22 View Post
                        [ATTACH]925383[/ATTACH][ATTACH]925384[/ATTACH]
                        When I saw the first picture I was like "that isn't that big".... then I was the second.... Man that is one hell of a oak tree!

Comment

Just read the Wiki page for the "Big Tree" in Rockport. It said that the tree is believed to be as old as 2,000 years. I would guess that the bigger tree pictured above is at least that old or older. Amazing.

Comment

If I'm being honest, I think the Rockport tree could kick the Brazoria County trees arss, and I think the Brazoria County tree is well aware of that fact and keeping quiet intentionally.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                              If I'm being honest, I think the Rockport tree could kick the Brazoria County trees arss, and I think the Brazoria County tree is well aware of that fact and keeping quiet intentionally.
                              Naw, The Rockport tree doesn’t have the acorns.

Comment

Working...
                              X