Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Rate the Day Lease

Old 08-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri
Default Is the day lease dying?

Years ago it seemed there was a lot more activity on forums about day leases. I know there were several hunts a year with waiting lists on TBH and THF. Seems the last few years the interest, or at least the excitement about them, has dwindled.
Maybe it's me and a lack of awareness or the fact that I have a friend with a place i can go shoot exotics and pigs most anytime. But even his business has slowed the last few years.

Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

I remember about 6-7 years ago it was huge and the Rate the Day Lease forum was constantly busy and now it seems like not much activity... seems a lot of the ranches have disappeared as well
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Years ago it seemed there was a lot more activity on forums about day leases. I know there were several hunts a year with waiting lists on TBH and THF. Seems the last few years the interest, or at least the excitement about them, has dwindled.
Maybe it's me and a lack of awareness or the fact that I have a friend with a place i can go shoot exotics and pigs most anytime. But even his business has slowed the last few years.

Anyone else notice this?

As someone who owned one I would say yes.

7 or 8 years ago by august we would be booked solid through may of the next year.

The last couple of years we were never booked up solid but still managed to sell plenty of hunts on short notice

This year, I have several friend that only have one or two hunts booked for the entire fall.

I think two things happened to cause this.

They changed the tax codes and made it difficult to write off hunting as entertainment and the biggest is that where a man will shoot two deer every year, most folks only want one of each of the exotics.

After they get a good Fallow, Axis and Black buck, they tend to not want to shoot another.

It has become a difficult business and even on good years I never broke even. Fortunately for me It was just a hobby and I enjoyed doing it.

While I really miss taking folks hunting (That is always how it felt to me) I am glad to be out of the business

Name:  25 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  45.7 KB
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

Hereís my theory on it. Back then, exotics were much cheaper because it wasnít that popular. $500-$750 for an axis or fallow. A guy could buy livestock and let them get hunted and buy more here and there as needed. Lower hunting interest enabled some of the livestock to breed before being killed by customers. Not too terribly difficult to offer a decent hunt and still get by on those prices with the other ranch management and maintenance costs.

Then it became popular, and the price of livestock skyrocketed. Now, the ranch had to recover their cost on the animal and buy more to keep up with the interest. Animals are shot out before they can breed so they are basically bought to be killed. This exacerbates the price, which takes some day ranches out by itself. Others fall as the sustained need for sourcing high turnover livestock becomes a full time job itself in addition to the ranch management. More ranches fall as customers expectations increase with the sharply increased hunting prices. For $500-$750, folks are a lot more forgiving than they are at $3000.

The happy medium, equilibrium point, is to manage a herd and only sell the number of hunts that the herd can sustain to stay stable. But this approach doesnít offer enough hunts for a small ranch to survive, and the exotics hunts almost would have to take a back seat to some other purpose for the ranch.

I think the exotic prices have hit a point where some people seriously question whether itís worth it. I donít predict that prices will come back down necessarily, but I think they have hit their critical point.

Last edited by txpitdog; 08-24-2018 at 09:23 AM.
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
bow4my2
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
Hereís my theory on it. Back then, exotics were much cheaper because it wasnít that popular. $500-$750 for an axis or fallow. A guy could buy livestock and let them get hunted out and buy more as heeded. Lower hunting interest enabled some of the livestock to breed before being killed by customers. Not too terribly difficult to offer a decent hunt and still get by on those prices with the other ranch management and maintenance costs.

Then it became popular, and the price of livestock skyrocketed. Now, the ranch had to recover their cost on the animal and buy more to keep up with the interest. Animals are shot out before they can breed so they are basically bought to be killed. This exacerbates the price, which takes some day ranches out by itself. Others fall as the sustained need for sourcing high turnover livestock becomes a full time job itself in addition to the ranch management. More ranches fall as customers expectations increase with the sharply increased hunting prices. For $500-$750, folks are a lot more forgiving than they are at $3000.

The happy medium, equilibrium point, is to manage a herd and only sell the number of hunts that the herd can sustain to stay stable. But this approach doesnít offer enough hunts for a small ranch to survive, and the exotics hunts almost would have to take a back seat to some other purpose for the ranch.

I think the exotic prices have hit a point where some people seriously question whether itís worth it. I donít predict that prices will come back down necessarily, but I think they have hit their critical point.

BEAT ME TO IT, agree
bow4my2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

Quote:
hereís my theory on it. Back then, exotics were much cheaper because it wasnít that popular. $500-$750 for an axis or fallow. A guy could buy livestock and let them get hunted and buy more here and there as needed. Lower hunting interest enabled some of the livestock to breed before being killed by customers. Not too terribly difficult to offer a decent hunt and still get by on those prices with the other ranch management and maintenance costs.

I think the exotic prices have hit a point where some people seriously question whether itís worth it. I donít predict that prices will come back down necessarily, but i think they have hit their critical point.
x10000
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
DRT
Pope & Young

I agree the prices have hurt many working folk. However I have a fairly expensive deer lease that if I didn't have I would spend the money on a day lease hunt or two more a year.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I agree the prices have hurt many working folk. However I have a fairly expensive deer lease that if I didn't have I would spend the money on a day lease hunt or two more a year.

My thinking is why pay $3000 for a 3 day hunt when you can spend the same for a YEAR ROUND lease.
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
diamond10x
Ten Point

Quote:
Hereís my theory on it. Back then, exotics were much cheaper because it wasnít that popular. $500-$750 for an axis or fallow. A guy could buy livestock and let them get hunted and buy more here and there as needed. Lower hunting interest enabled some of the livestock to breed before being killed by customers. Not too terribly difficult to offer a decent hunt and still get by on those prices with the other ranch management and maintenance costs.

hit the nail on the head
Old 08-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

When was an axis or fallow 5-700 ?
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantexduck View Post
When was an axis or fallow 5-700 ?
About 10-12 years ago.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

When I first moved to Texas in the early 90's I remember seeing an ad for a Whitetail day lease for $25 a day.............I thought that was outrageous.

DJ
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

I don't think the younger generation is into hunting as much as people that grew up pre-social media(pre 2000). The old folks seem to mellow and not hunt as much, and the new folks aren't as diehard as we where. I think this is a trend that will continue. in 20 or 30 years, I doubt we will recognize hunting that we see today.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #14
Maddog20/20
Four Point

I think itís been a bad cycle where the availability of exotics has desensitized everyone to want the bigger and better stock. That means breeding becomes more expensive and consequently, the cost to hunters has exploded to where only a small percentage of the population can even afford it.

Plus, as it was mentioned, once you have a real trophy Blackbuck or even something like a Gemsbok, are most people willing to drop a SECOND $12k?

My feeling is that trophy seeking has created so much demand for BIG animals that you canít even maintain a ranch of what would have been acceptable 10 years ago.

Hell, when I was a kid in the 70ís, ANY 8 point was considered a great deer...now, if it doesnít have 6Ē drops and a huge base, it isnít even considered worth mounting (I donít think that way, but we all know a ton of folks who do).
Maddog20/20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #15
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Day leases are declining in popularity because most day leases are a rip off. The only good day leases are the ones that frequently restock animals to keep the numbers up and/or book fewer hunts to keep the pressure down. Usually, the cost of restocking or conducting fewer hunts will be reflected in higher kill fees.

Too many folks have been burned by or got fed up with crappy day leases that run hunters every day of the week all year long...where the animals are so educated and spooky you have to be extremely lucky even to see one in the daylight. We all know those places only make their money when hunters don't kill anything.

Even though a reputable kill fee ranch might offer a higher success rate and better overall experience, a lot of people are just not going to budget for it...at least not on an annual basis.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #16
smithb164
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:

This is spot on!
smithb164 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #17
tree stand
Four Point

I remember day leases charging 500 to 750 for a two day hunt with NO kill fees. Now, you can count those places on one hand and have fingers left over. When the ranches started charging the outrages prices for kill fees, that started the decline. Just my .02
tree stand is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #18
Maddog20/20
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree stand View Post
I remember day leases charging 500 to 750 for a two day hunt with NO kill fees. Now, you can count those places on one hand and have fingers left over. When the ranches started charging the outrages prices for kill fees, that started the decline. Just my .02

Lol...you can still get $500 a day...itís the $10k for the actual ANIMAL that hurts the pocketbook!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #19
Hooverfb
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I don't think the younger generation is into hunting as much as people that grew up pre-social media(pre 2000). The old folks seem to mellow and not hunt as much, and the new folks aren't as diehard as we where. I think this is a trend that will continue. in 20 or 30 years, I doubt we will recognize hunting that we see today.
Especially since most young guys are already hesitant to tske the plunge on upfront equipmenet costs, let alone 3k ~ hunts when theyve never done it before. The note on supply/demand and eventual contraction of demand is spot on.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #20
Maddog20/20
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
Especially since most young guys are already hesitant to tske the plunge on upfront equipmenet costs, let alone 3k ~ hunts when theyve never done it before. The note on supply/demand and eventual contraction of demand is spot on.

Meh...in 20 years, theyíll all be virtual hunting anyway. Itíll be awesome to see them frantically designing perfect scenarios so people can enjoy the outdoors while indoors rather than simply going outside.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #21
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Let's hope so.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #22
hunter1979
Four Point

Hunt In: Michigan, Texas

10 years ago, you could usually find a ranch that had a package deal, usually around $1,000. This included a hard horned exotic, ram, and at least two pigs. This would be a 4 day hunt. I would say if you tried to find this now, you're looking at easily more than double that price.
Even finding a place to shoot a hard horned exotic under $2k is rare, and I think I've only seen like one ranch that still does a package.
I used to remember seeing a lot of out of state hunters posting in this forum. But by the time you include travel + the hunt, you're usually coming in around $3k. That's a lot for what it is. Then, like someone else mentioned, it seemed like a new ranch would come along, get rave reviews the first couple hunts, then they'd book up solid for a few months...but never restocked the animals. After 6 months to a year, it was pretty obvious the hunting was poor. I think that's why you only read about a few now, they found a way to keep stocking animals.
We used to come down every year or two. This past spring, we came for the first time in probably 5 years. For us, it came down to variety. I can do bear, antelope, whitetail, etc for that price or less. I love the Texas hunt, but it's hard at 3xs what I used to pay.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
hunter1979 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #23
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1979 View Post
10 years ago, you could usually find a ranch that had a package deal, usually around $1,000. This included a hard horned exotic, ram, and at least two pigs. This would be a 4 day hunt. I would say if you tried to find this now, you're looking at easily more than double that price.
Even finding a place to shoot a hard horned exotic under $2k is rare, and I think I've only seen like one ranch that still does a package.
I used to remember seeing a lot of out of state hunters posting in this forum. But by the time you include travel + the hunt, you're usually coming in around $3k. That's a lot for what it is. Then, like someone else mentioned, it seemed like a new ranch would come along, get rave reviews the first couple hunts, then they'd book up solid for a few months...but never restocked the animals. After 6 months to a year, it was pretty obvious the hunting was poor. I think that's why you only read about a few now, they found a way to keep stocking animals.
We used to come down every year or two. This past spring, we came for the first time in probably 5 years. For us, it came down to variety. I can do bear, antelope, whitetail, etc for that price or less. I love the Texas hunt, but it's hard at 3xs what I used to pay.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I went to several of these places and almost never has any success. Some of them now make you pay up front for a specific animal and that is the only animal you can shoot. If another animal comes by you just have to watch it walk off,
Something to take into consideration when picking a place to hunt is not only the cost of the animals but the quality of the animals and the accommodations. I've been to some places where the "lodge" should have been bulldozed down. Quality hunting is expensive but you get what you pay for. I have a small exotic ranch that I structured to be first class in every way, but still have a hard time booking hunts. The new tax laws are definitely hurting some, but most of my hunters are not writing off the expense anyway. When you have close or over 1M in a hunting ranch you have to generate some positive revenue, go under or sale. This is what I am facing right now. I absolutely love meeting new clients, making new friends and taking them out and watching them be successful, but making ends meet is difficult. Hopefully it will pick up sometime soon.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #24
stratos201proxl
Four Point

Hunt In: 3FB

Quote:

Exactly the price of the animals has cut out the working man!
stratos201proxl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 11:02 PM   #25
Goodfellah
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co, Newton Co, Crystal City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Yep, you nailed it unfortunately.
Goodfellah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2018, 12:43 AM   #26
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

I remember when I paid $300 for a nice ram and $1500 for a fallow. Look at those prices now.

Txpitdog hit it on the head. I don’t think it has anything to do with the generation of younger hunters. If anything, I feel like more people are becoming more successful at younger ages than generations before and still plenty of young folks that are in to hunting to sustain day leases. Besides that, there are still a slew of 30, 40, 50+year old folks who are hunting.

Price of animals has just gone up and not really worth it anymore.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #27
Hunteraudit
Four Point

Hunt In: Bexar & Houston Counties

I’ve recently transitioned from having family land to hunt in to looking for public/day lease places. Can’t afford a lease. What turns me off to day leases, and why I have yet to use one, is the negative image they have, in my mind at least. In my mind, unless you pay an outrageous price for a day lease, you’re gonna pay $500 to go sit n a stand that’s full of the previous guys garbage and not see an animal. The advertising for these day leases always seems suspiscius to me as well. Too over-promising. Don’t know if this is a general way of thinking among other people in the day lease market, but it is mine.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #28
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:

I think the point is solid in theory but you can go to any auctions at all youíll see the price of livestock has actually gone down . I guess this is due to supply being more available . You can get Axis does for $150 and donít even mention WT breeder bucks they are a dime a dozen . Do yíall remember when 200Ē typical deer was the holy grail ? You could not buy one if you traded your soul now you can buy them on every corner. I think Buff nailed it .. business entertainment sustained it ...it was a write off so people were apt to jump on board.
Hydestik is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #29
stick_string
Four Point

Hunt In: Colorado

I guess I am going to have the slightly different opinion then the rest. I live in Colorado, I get a mule deer tag every 4 years, and an Elk tag every 3 years. I enjoy chasing exotic animals. I save money and enjoy the hunting I can find...as it comes. Day leases are a great option for guys like me that want to hunt but live in a state that does not support the resident hunters.
stick_string is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #30
bownut
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county
Default Day lease dying off

The Day lease is dead for me. Just got back from one in Del Rio. Save your money and let them die off. My wife bought the trip for me for my birthday and we both went down to crystal creek. My wife was ready to leave after being there for 10 min. The place was trashed and filthy. I've got pics to prove it. We decided to stay since I've never hunted a place like this but had my guesses how it would go. My guesses were right they don't want you to kill and would corn for half a mile from your stand. Only got to hunt about 1/3 of ranch. Everything was flooded and all vehicles stuck. So imagine 3 grown people on a 4 wheeler not a good exsperience. Never saw a animal and will never do again.
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #31
BDKeeling
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydestik View Post
I think the point is solid in theory but you can go to any auctions at all youíll see the price of livestock has actually gone down . I guess this is due to supply being more available . You can get Axis does for $150 and donít even mention WT breeder bucks they are a dime a dozen . Do yíall remember when 200Ē typical deer was the holy grail ? You could not buy one if you traded your soul now you can buy them on every corner. I think Buff nailed it .. business entertainment sustained it ...it was a write off so people were apt to jump on board.

I donít know where they are selling axis does for $150 cause Iím getting on average over $400 each axis doe that I sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKeeling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #32
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKeeling View Post
I donít know where they are selling axis does for $150 cause Iím getting on average over $400 each axis doe that I sell

I agree that is a hec of a price if so, we sell a few WT doe hunts each year and have a tough time at 200 ea. I have lots of people interested but few takers usually. We sell about what we need to though.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #33
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKeeling View Post

Junction auction house is a good place to go look and bid . At $400 thereís no money to be made on your deer . I didnít say you could pick up them up all the time for that but thereís plenty opportunity for you if you shop around .
Hydestik is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #34
BDKeeling
Four Point

Iím not buying, Iím catching and selling heavy bred axis does for up to $600 per head, average is $475

BDKeeling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #35
stx
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydestik View Post
All the does I see are more along the $300-400 range. Prices are up in my opinion.
stx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #36
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Check out the price of Fallow bucks at the auctions. 3 yr olds going for $2,000 then you have to raise them for 2 more years before they are of harvest age. 5yr olds up to 5k. All the Axis does i saw at the auction are going for $400+. Not every day lease operates on hunters not shooting animals. Mine doesn't. I want 100% opportunity and hopefully 100% success, clean, quality accommendations and a good experiance for my clients.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #37
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick_string View Post
I guess I am going to have the slightly different opinion then the rest. I live in Colorado, I get a mule deer tag every 4 years, and an Elk tag every 3 years. I enjoy chasing exotic animals. I save money and enjoy the hunting I can find...as it comes. Day leases are a great option for guys like me that want to hunt but live in a state that does not support the resident hunters.

Thatís on you.

You have the option to hunt elk, bears, turkey, and deer if you play your cards right every year. Hell, you can get 2-3 elk tags a year if you want too.

quackadikt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #38
Beargrasstx
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense to me. There are many places in Colorado for an OTC tag. Tags aren't expensive for a resident. I believe some mule deer places you are guaranteed to draw with 0 preference points. Subscribe to Gohunt.com and check out the information for yourself. Definitely can hunt more frequent than every 4 years for a mule deer. Definitely can hunt elk every year in several units
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #39
stick_string
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
Thatís on you.

You have the option to hunt elk, bears, turkey, and deer if you play your cards right every year. Hell, you can get 2-3 elk tags a year if you want too.

Wow, 2-3 elk tags a year? I have lived here for years and despite working with Colorado Fish and Game on our private ranch that is the first I have ever heard of that.

Yes, you can get an OTC tag for an elk. Colorado regulates elk harvest rates and keeps the success rate at around 12%. Mule deer are all draw with tags being awarded on average every 4 years. Elk tags in decent units are draw only and are awarded roughly every 3 years.

My only point was if you want to shoot your bow at big game more then once a year, day leases are a good option. I do recognize you cant fill your walls with trophies in one year due to price...but planned and prepared for they can provide good options.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #40
quackadikt
Eight Point

There's OTC ES tags, B tags(cow tags), and the LO system.

Easy to draw deer in plenty of units.

Bears.

Turkeys.

Just because you aren't capitalizing on the opportunities doesn't mean they aren't there.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #41
quackadikt
Eight Point

Straight out of the rules booklet.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #42
diamond10x
Ten Point

Quote:
Wow, 2-3 elk tags a year? I have lived here for years and despite working with Colorado Fish and Game on our private ranch that is the first I have ever heard of that.

Yes, you can get an OTC tag for an elk. Colorado regulates elk harvest rates and keeps the success rate at around 12%. Mule deer are all draw with tags being awarded on average every 4 years. Elk tags in decent units are draw only and are awarded roughly every 3 years.

My only point was if you want to shoot your bow at big game more then once a year, day leases are a good option. I do recognize you cant fill your walls with trophies in one year due to price...but planned and prepared for they can provide good options.
Only posting this to help you out with more chances to hunt as we all enjoy it and want to take every opportunity we can to do so.

Our group has hunted the same unit in Colorado, Unit Twenty seven, for over 20 years, knock on wood there has not been a year where everyone that put in for a deer tag didnít get drawn. There has been a lot of bucks weíve killed over 180Ē on public land in the same NF, BLM land.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #43
TSpradlin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Poolville

A lot of them just got to Greedy
TSpradlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 10:44 PM   #44
stick_string
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
Straight out of the rules booklet.
Thank you sir.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #45
kparker158
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas

I’m around day leases more I guess. If anything I would think they would be growing to be more common. Why spend $3k plus on a lease when you can get you a awesome whitetail with great odds for the same money. Leases are out pricing the common man so day leases are becoming the go to. (Personal opinion)
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 10:52 PM   #46
stick_string
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
Only posting this to help you out with more chances to hunt as we all enjoy it and want to take every opportunity we can to do so.

Our group has hunted the same unit in Colorado, Unit Twenty seven, for over 20 years, knock on wood there has not been a year where everyone that put in for a deer tag didnít get drawn. There has been a lot of bucks weíve killed over 180Ē on public land in the same NF, BLM land.
Man that is awesome! Thank you. I will look into that for sure. Our ranch has a Parks and Wildlife Officer we work with to help us manage the bear nuisance and deer eating our hay stock for our horses and cattle. We have reluctantly laughed about the way Colorado manages its herds. You can get tags to chase things here, but I rarely meet folks that fill them. Unfortunately a lot of those that have lived here for any time have stopped bow hunting. Its sad I know.

My only point is I enjoy the options that day leases provide. Thank you greatly for the information about Unit 27.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:57 PM   #47
quackadikt
Eight Point

Quote:
Thank you sir.

No problem. I hope you start taking advantage of it a little more! I wish we had the opportunities here in NM that yíall do in Colorado. Granted, there are tags that can be drawn pretty much every year, but itís still a crap shoot.

And more to the topic, Iíd LOVE to be able to take advantage of day leases. I just canít justify the prices. Iím not going to spend $1000 for a goat thatís un-edible or a doe. Iíd love to get on a lease, but realistically I would only be able to go maybe 3 trips a fall and thatís not quite cost effective for me either. Iíll just stick to the in-laws 15 acres and invites for now.

Last edited by quackadikt; 09-25-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #48
skeeterboud
Four Point

it's estimated that 1000 people per day move to texas! which turns out to be a city the size of san Antonio popping up every 4 years...only the richest will be hunting in 10-15 years. the nra is always talking about hunter recruitment.. that's is not the problem. if deer leases were cheaper, everyone would do it....or you would have much more acreage per person....or, people like me would have 2-3 leases at any given time(like I used to).. I have been priced out of a quality lease, where you could expect to see mature deer(I don't care about the score, I am interested in hunting a deer that has survived us for 5-6 years) now, I just cook and hang out with the kids while my wife hunts our family land b/c it sucks for my non-adjusted standards.
skeeterboud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #49
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

What has skyrocketed the exotic sale barn auction is the land fragmentation and high fencing of said land. Everywhere you turn there are 100-200 acre high fence places stocking deer/exotics. Surely there is a saturation point where the bottom falls out. $475 axis does is crazy.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top