Critique please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critique please

I just recently bought my first DSLR camera (Canon 7D Mark ii). I am learning the ins and outs of it and just wanted a little constructive criticism from you guys that know way more than I. Let me know what you think ! Thanks in advance.

Bad link

Comment

I don't know crap about photography but those look good to me. Better than I can do with my iPhone and snap seed

Comment

Very nice. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Is the link bad or were y'all able to open it ?

Comment

I can see it

Comment

Ok, good deal. First time posting up a link. Wanted to make sure.

Comment

ttt

Comment

It looks like you're getting a handle on getting a good exposure, and the camera certainly produces excellent image quality and clarity. That's always the first step in learning photography. Looks like you're doing well. The next step is to learn about composition. You can have nice equipment and take a photo of something interesting or beautiful and still end up with a snapshot that is just average looking. To get that "Wow!" factor, you have to have good image quality, interesting/beautiful subject matter, and great composition. Dramatic lighting helps bigtime as well. You can't always control or predict when some of the pieces of that puzzle will happen. It's a never-ending quest. That's what makes it fun. Keep it up!

Comment

Oh, and you'll know when you get the Wow! factor. That will be the image that causes people who know nothing about photography to say, "Wow! Your camera takes great pictures. What kind is it?".

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Shane. This is the first time I have shared any of my pictures so far. So this is the only place I'm getting feedback right now. Any and all is appreciated.

Comment

1st pic; aperture too low, the QAD rest being out of focus in the center of the pic looks bad, the center of the pic is usually where you want the viewer to look, increase your aperture to get better depth of focus or front focus

2nd pic; increase the aperture and front focus, the thing that draws my eye in this photo is the wrist strap encircling the Mathews logo and the strap is out of focus.

3rd pic; I like the lighting in this one but the trees look like an afterthought, also back off on the aperture a stop or 2, no lens is at it's sharpest wide open

4th pic; not real wild about the foreground but the water towers are a nice touch, I also would have increased the EV by 2/3 or so

5th pic; good framing, I don't know much about the 24-70 but looks like it loses quite a bit of sharpness when it's wide open, normally in a subject like this you want to use a low aperture so only it's in focus but not at the expense of sharpness

6th pic; move the flower to the center of the picture and increase the aperture some some more of the flower is in focus but keep the rest of the pic blurred

7th pic. lighting should be behind or side of you, pedicle is in shadow

Comment

Keep it coming. Thanks for the input Whiplash. Still learning what this camera does in certain situations and learning what aperture, ISO, and shutter speed does and how they effect the outcome of the picture. I understand the basics but adjusting on the fly is more what I am shooting for. I know it is going to come with time and learning from others. I'm having a blast with it though !

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                            1st pic; aperture too low, the QAD rest being out of focus in the center of the pic looks bad, the center of the pic is usually where you want the viewer to look, increase your aperture to get better depth of focus or front focus

2nd pic; increase the aperture and front focus, the thing that draws my eye in this photo is the wrist strap encircling the Mathews logo and the strap is out of focus.

3rd pic; I like the lighting in this one but the trees look like an afterthought, also back off on the aperture a stop or 2, no lens is at it's sharpest wide open

4th pic; not real wild about the foreground but the water towers are a nice touch, I also would have increased the EV by 2/3 or so

5th pic; good framing, I don't know much about the 24-70 but looks like it loses quite a bit of sharpness when it's wide open, normally in a subject like this you want to use a low aperture so only it's in focus but not at the expense of sharpness

6th pic; move the flower to the center of the picture and increase the aperture some some more of the flower is in focus but keep the rest of the pic blurred

7th pic. lighting should be behind or side of you, pedicle is in shadow
                            Sounds like you know a lot about photography.

Comment

The main thing I would say is practice, practice, practice! Take multiple images of the same subject, using different f-stops, compositions, etc. Look through your manual. Find something you can change, and do that. Then check the results. See what you like better. Then go out and do more of that. You have very good equipment. Lots of practice costs you nothing, yet yields good results.

Comment

Working...
                              X