Tapered Sitka Spruce Shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapered Sitka Spruce Shafts

I have found a supplier that is second to none for Sitka Spruce shafts. These are beyond a shadow of a doubt the best shafts I've ever received, all spine matched within 3 pounds and all weight matched within 10 grains, which is almost unheard of today. Normally I have to buy 2-3 dozen shafts at a time to be able to match a dozen that close, and a lot of times there are shafts that aren't even in the spine range I ordered, but not anymore. Here are some of the one's I've built in the last few weeks using these new shafts, and man does the spruce take the stain nicely.

And these I'm getting finished up for my new bow, and man does it love these first 3.....

If anyone is interested in who the supplier is, shoot me a pm and I'll get you their information.

How do these shafts compare weight wise to other woods? Are they lighter? Still on my quest for a good wood arrow in a weight, spine and length that are right for me.

Comment

Deb, spruce is just a little heavier than cedar, but the taper does reduce that weight some. The arrows I've built for myself are 28" to the back of the point and I'm shooting a 160g point. I'm getting a total weight in the 560g (+/-) a few grains.

I've slept since we last chatted, so give me all your specs. Bow weight, draw length, perferred point weight, perferred arrow length and perferred arrow weight and I'll see what I can come up with for you.

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

Sitka is a bit heavier as is Chundo or logepole pine. The tapering process only drops the weight about 20 grains total is what I have figured out when I taper my customers shafts..

Comment

Terry,I don't really have high hopes for ever getting a wood arrow lto fit me. But every time I hear of something we haven't tried I look into it. If its heavier than cedar it won't work.

Comment

Terry you are right as it is about 20-25 grains most of the time. That does depend how far back the shaft the taper starts.

Deb I answered you PM.

Comment

Those are some pretty arrows! Does your supplier also sell non-tapered Sitka Spruce shafts? Only reason I ask is because I realize the non-tapered are usually less expensive. And what spine would be good for 30" long arrows for a #35@28 and a #45@28 longbow, both cut to center and shooting fast flight strings (actual draw length is about 28")?

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                  Terry,I don't really have high hopes for ever getting a wood arrow lto fit me. But every time I hear of something we haven't tried I look into it. If its heavier than cedar it won't work.
                  Arvin is on the right brain wave when he thinks of barrell tapering you some arrows. He just needs to come over and lets experiment with some and see what we can come up with. It has been done before.

Comment

Originally posted by bountyhunter View Post
                    Terry you are right as it is about 20-25 grains most of the time. That does depend how far back the shaft the taper starts.

Deb I answered you PM.
                    After tapering tens of thousands of them over the years you tend to learn a little about what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by equin View Post
                      Those are some pretty arrows! Does your supplier also sell non-tapered Sitka Spruce shafts? Only reason I ask is because I realize the non-tapered are usually less expensive. And what spine would be good for 30" long arrows for a #35@28 and a #45@28 longbow, both cut to center and shooting fast flight strings (actual draw length is about 28")?
                      Yes the do have untapered shafts.

For the #35 bow using 125g points and 30" arrows you would want to order 45/50 spined shafts. For the #45 bow using 125g points and 30" you would want to order 55/60 spined shafts.

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                      After tapering tens of thousands of them over the years you tend to learn a little about what you are doing.
                      Proof is in the pudding.....

Comment

What kind of price are we talking about for the tapered shafts? I am shooting a 60#@29" recurve that I first purchased Port Oford Cedar arrows for and then I tried aluminums and shot that for a while but never really truly shot the aluminums well. I don't think they are the right size. The aluminums are 2018's...is this good or bad? The cedar are 11/32 and purchased according to the weight of my bow. The woodies shoot waaaaaay better than the aluminums and so i was thinking of buying some more from 3Rivers but I just read this post!!! Will the tapered arrows fly better than the non-tapered arrows like the ones I'm shooting?

KT

Comment

Tapered arrows are somewhat more forgiving that parallel shafts and some feel they also fly better because of their natural front of center balance. I think the shafts are around $55 a dozen shipped, but well worth the added cost.

Comment

Those arrows look sweet!

Comment

Would the name of the supplier begin with the letter "H" ?...Van

Comment

Working...
                              X