No announcement yet.

UTV's... comparisons, good bad ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to come out to the house some afternoon (now that it don't get dark before we can get home) you can take it for a spin and check it out.

Comment

I just bought a Mule PRO FXT. Too soon to give any kind of review but I can tell you it rides like a Cadillac and seems to have plenty of grunt. The 3 year warranty speaks volumes for how tough these machines are. Polaris just bumped their warranty to 1 year in response but it’s still not exactly a statement of confidence in their own product IMO. It was funny but the dealership where I got mine sells both - they as much as told me if someone comes in stating they want a Polaris, they are happy to sell it to them. If someone comes in and asks what they recommend, they say Kawasaki every time. All of that said, there are some major differences. The mule does not have a locking front diff - which is a major design flaw IMO. The mule also accelerates much slower and top speed is slower. It’s more of a gentlemen’s machine vs the Polaris which is simply more sporty!

Comment

I've had a Polaris Ranger for the past 11 years and have had no major issues and I can assure you i'm far from easy on it. I have a high-rack for quail hunting and we regulary load 4 grown men, 500lbs of feed at start of day and all our gear. We hunt in West Texas in some rough country and the only thing i've done is regular maintenance of oil changes, air filter, greasing and drive belt every 3 years (which is probably not necessary on belts). After 11 years I will be replacing the the suspension bushings which is a wearable part that will need replacing from time to time.

Sometimes I wonder if people have issues with this brand or that brand due to the modifications or aftermarket items they've done or added.

Comment

I've had Mules & Rangers. In all fairness the Mules were carb and a pain to get warmed up so most of my "newer" experience has been with the Rangers.

As far as ride, when you are on pasture roads, rocks, etc., seems they all go bump? All I do know is with the truck tires on this one, the ride is unreal + power steering is MORE than worth the cost. I've got another thread addressing the truck tires vs standard UTV tires so visit that for some ideas if desired? One thing is for certain, keep them serviced and push performance to the point you can afford repairs?

Whatever you get, I would stress getting power steering!!
          Attached Files

Comment

Cvt Trans on rangers is loud as ****
            Mule is only way I'd go- kawasaki is the toyota of utv I'm my opinion- low maintenance and longevity-

Comment

The 825 gator actually has the Kawasaki engine that is found in the ProFXT, but to me they do not compare in ride comfort, smoothness, and noise. I sell Polaris, CanAm, and Kawasaki. The Kawasaki is my go to crew cab for someone who is wanting it for a work, hunting, and family machine. They are not the powerful play machines some guys want but in my opinion they are probably the toughest out there for what I mentioned. They also have a three year warranty that is hard to beat! As far as price if you are comparing apples to apples you can get a ProFXT for less than the Polaris.

Comment

SWS - that honda is PURTY!! That two-to-four seat option would work for family.. how much space is left in back with the rear seats up? the front rack looks like a must have as well for haulin corn etc.

Justin - my plan isnt performance -- just ranch roving, hauling feed, and letting the family tool around... i've been spoiled with the ride of rangers/mules in the roughest of environments so thats a must have as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                  Cvt Trans on rangers is loud as ****
                  Mule is only way I'd go- kawasaki is the toyota of utv I'm my opinion- low maintenance and longevity-
                  thats been my experience with the rangers as well... they get noisy and the CVT's always seem to have some sort of issue..

Comment

Another vote for the Mule PRO FXT, we’ve got two 2018’s coming this week to replace our ‘15 and ‘16

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      SWS - that honda is PURTY!! That two-to-four seat option would work for family.. how much space is left in back with the rear seats up? the front rack looks like a must have as well for haulin corn etc.

Justin - my plan isnt performance -- just ranch roving, hauling feed, and letting the family tool around... i've been spoiled with the ride of rangers/mules in the roughest of environments so thats a must have as well.
                      I try to tell customers to drive them all. We have traded for two of the Pioneer 1000s with less than 50 hours on them. One only had 98 miles! They were bought at our local Honda dealer and they do not have anywhere to test drive. Once the customer got some seat time in them they did not like them. The man that traded it one to me traded it for the CanAm Defender and then traded it back in for a Ranch Edition Pro FXT because he needed 6 seater. I have owned Honda ATVs for years, so I was excited about the Pioneer 1000 to come out. That machine looks awesome and has a lot of power, but I just can't get passed that jerky transmission!

Comment

With the tailgate down, I put a Yeti Roadie behind the seats when they're up for riding. The bed also has a safety latch that won't allow you to dump it if either of the seats are up for riding...

Big Country Outdoors did that front rack. I had a similar one on my 700-4 too. It's aluminum as well and comes off by removing 2 wing nuts. That size is not a standard for them, but I had it made big enough so my bow would lie down inside the basket. With the seats stowed and in hauling mode, I've hauled 20 bags on corn in the bed... now it's full and then some, but it does not exceed the load capacity of the bed. I had 15 bags in it once and had a buddy with me... we were doing 55 down a caliche road and still had pedal left. It felt pretty stable too. I was surprised in fact how will it handled the load. The top is made so that I can walk around on top of it. It also folds forward in the middle so that if I need the bed for tall stuff or want to be able to stand up in the bed, I can. Only other thing I might do some day is put a small lift kit on it so I can put bigger tires on it. It comes standard with 27" tires though. 2" receivers front and rear makes adding accessories almost endless...

Comment

Man I sure haven't experienced any "jerky" transmission issues. The 1000 has a 6 speed tranny now and has three different modes. One is a normal auto transmission. Then you can switch it to "SPORT" auto for hot rodding. Now that can get jerky, but that's what it's made for... It also has a manual mode and pedal shifters under the steering wheel. Plus the transfer case has a high and low range as well as 2 wheel turf, 2 wheel standard (positive traction), 4 wheel and 4 wheel lock (positive traction front/rear)... I find it WAY smoother than any Ranger I've ever driven or ridden in...

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                            I sell Polaris, CanAm, and Kawasaki. As far as price if you are comparing apples to apples you can get a ProFXT for less than the Polaris.

Let’s talk, because I haven’t found that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Take a look at the Kawasaki Mule Trans 4x4.

We love ours. It can be a two seater with a longer bed or a 4 seater with a shorter bed. Can't beat it.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post

No question. Mule Trans 4x4.

Comment

Working...
                                X