Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #1201
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Don't have a place yet
Default

Alright. I hear people talking about this diet and I've read 5 or 6 pages of this thread. I'm going ease into this diet. I started on Monday weighing in at 275. I'd like to get down to around 200 (or lower) if possible. I got on my bicycle for the first time in a couple years, too. I only went about 5 miles but at least its a start. I have an elk hunt coming up in Colorado and don't want to be hauling all of this extra weight up the side of a mountain.

I think I'll be able to stick with this diet because all I need to do is cut down on the carbs. Most of the foods, i.e., eggs, bacon, meats, etc., are things I already eat a lot of. I'm actually kind of excited to get this going!
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #1202
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Don't have a place yet
Default

Double post
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #1203
TexaRican
Pope & Young
 
TexaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky
Default

JT everything you asked is addressed by Doc Berry in that video I posted. I have fallen victim to cheat days and each time I do it, getting back on track gets harder. Been working out 6 to 10 times a week to no avail.

Kuma, glad it's working for you but you are in keto honeymoon lol. I dropped 40-45lbs in around 6 months then things got tough. Love my bourbon but I can't lose when I drink. My wife has given keto several attempts and gives up after a few weeks but she's been having wine. She argues that it's ok and her macros are all good but I guarantee it's the wine that is holding her back.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #1204
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

For those that get knocked out of ketosis, is it from a small or a large carb intake?? I can do some carbs over what I am supposed to take and be ok; If i do too many carbs i get knocked out of ketosis. If I do a full blown cheat day I get sick... What I have noticed is if I do rigorous exercise right after too many cards, I stay in ketosis and don't skip a beat. For example, I can do a blizzard right before playing basketball and remain in ketosis without a problem.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #1205
icetrauma
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pasadena
Hunt In: Dreams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
Alright. I hear people talking about this diet and I've read 5 or 6 pages of this thread. I'm going ease into this diet. I started on Monday weighing in at 275. I'd like to get down to around 200 (or lower) if possible. I got on my bicycle for the first time in a couple years, too. I only went about 5 miles but at least its a start. I have an elk hunt coming up in Colorado and don't want to be hauling all of this extra weight up the side of a mountain.

I think I'll be able to stick with this diet because all I need to do is cut down on the carbs. Most of the foods, i.e., eggs, bacon, meats, etc., are things I already eat a lot of. I'm actually kind of excited to get this going!
Welcome to the Keto Burn
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 06:10 AM   #1206
jsctx84
Ten Point
 
jsctx84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seguin
Hunt In: Kimble County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
Alright. I hear people talking about this diet and I've read 5 or 6 pages of this thread. I'm going ease into this diet. I started on Monday weighing in at 275. I'd like to get down to around 200 (or lower) if possible. I got on my bicycle for the first time in a couple years, too. I only went about 5 miles but at least its a start. I have an elk hunt coming up in Colorado and don't want to be hauling all of this extra weight up the side of a mountain.

I think I'll be able to stick with this diet because all I need to do is cut down on the carbs. Most of the foods, i.e., eggs, bacon, meats, etc., are things I already eat a lot of. I'm actually kind of excited to get this going!
Itís not just carbs. Need to cut out the sugar. I have been going a month now. Just weighed myself. Iíve lost 14 lbs so far.
jsctx84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #1207
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young
 
denimdeerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hempstead
Hunt In: Waller
Default

I'm down 50lbs but feel like I leveled out. Thinking I need to fast some.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #1208
TexaRican
Pope & Young
 
TexaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky
Default

I'm on day 5 of no alcohol and day 3 of no diet dr pepper or sweetener of any kind. Scale is moving but dang I'm in a foul mood
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #1209
icetrauma
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pasadena
Hunt In: Dreams
Default

Right now I have more excuses than Carter has peanuts. Summer time brings an increase urge for beer and margarita's and I've endulged, not to much, but enough. I need to get my arse back in gear.
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #1210
kumathebear
Pope & Young
 
kumathebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DFW area
Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post
JT everything you asked is addressed by Doc Berry in that video I posted. I have fallen victim to cheat days and each time I do it, getting back on track gets harder. Been working out 6 to 10 times a week to no avail.

Kuma, glad it's working for you but you are in keto honeymoon lol. I dropped 40-45lbs in around 6 months then things got tough. Love my bourbon but I can't lose when I drink. My wife has given keto several attempts and gives up after a few weeks but she's been having wine. She argues that it's ok and her macros are all good but I guarantee it's the wine that is holding her back.
Well, thanks and so far it's working? LOL, the wife and I used to do the Chili's for lunch and would see the beer drinkers already hitting it. Of course, most were pushing the belts on their waste big time. I always joke I never drink before 5, drink profusely until dinner at 630 +- then I'm done. I don't know, but I'm thrilled with the glucose levels and give full credit to the KETO. Time will tell but hell, retired so got to keep it up. Take Care Brother!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #1211
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Don't have a place yet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsctx84 View Post
Itís not just carbs. Need to cut out the sugar. I have been going a month now. Just weighed myself. Iíve lost 14 lbs so far.
Yep, got it. Congrats on your loss!
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #1212
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young
 
SCREAMINREELS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF
Default

This was from about 6 weeks ago.
I am now down 31 lbs total and I've been stuck for about 2 weeks. Think I need to cut out the artificial stuff and whiskey. Gonna give it a try for 2 weeks and see if it starts moving again. This is easy eating for me except no tacos or beer.

Anyone have a BBQ sauce recipe that's ok? I smoke alot of meat and although still good I miss sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
I'm doing it about half way.not counting the fats, (I can't wrap my head around high fat not clogging arteries)I'm just keeping carbs and sugars as low as I can. Buddy got me on it right before Easter. Been weighing every Monday, talking to him and reading ideas here as well.
4 full weeks and I'm 14lbs down. Today i weighed for week 5 and only lost 1lb this week but it's still moving. I like it. It's easy other than this weekend. Group went fishing with chips, dips, beer etc all weekend I cheated but enjoyed it.
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #1213
TexaRican
Pope & Young
 
TexaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky
Default

Well the weekend and temptation are here. Gonna be stuck indoors with weather if the forecasters are right.

Iím 22 hours in to IF and had great cardio workout this morning. Gonna try not to blow it at dinner


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #1214
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
I'm down 50lbs but feel like I leveled out. Thinking I need to fast some.
Have you been cycling out of Keto? I seemed to have good results "kickstarting" when I went 2-3 weeks in and then cycling out for a couple of days before starting again. I get a bit of a "bounce", but drop that pretty quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
Ok guys give me your thoughts on this. I have two issues with Keto. One is that Iíll be super strict for 5-6 days and then have a cheat meal and immediately gain 5 pounds or water weight back and feel like Iíve failed since i have to get back into Ketosis. My other issue is I like having a few whiskey and Diet Coke 2-3 nights a week and ya it doesnít have carbs but it seems that also take you out of Keto.

My biggest worry is that it is not good to constantly be going in and out of ketosis. That kinda has me leading to going back to a more body builder style low carb diet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Going in and out of Ketosis isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it can actually help in becoming "fat adapted." However, you have to do it with intention - with frequency and the amount and types of carbs you use to refeed. A nutritionist (friend of a friend) suggested that I eat Keto Mon-Sat and then bump to around 100g of carbs on Sunday. BUT, he suggested that most of those Sunday carbs come in the form of liquids. I haven't really followed that plan, but he has a couple of athletes on that plan and it supposedly works well (for them).

I think in your scenario with a "cheat meal" (or cheat weekend), you're not fully getting into Ketosis before you're right back out of it. IMO, that can be counter productive because your body gets starved for carbs during the week and then stores both carbs and the fat.

I'm in "maintenance mode" and over the last couple of weeks I've kind of done the same thing (low/no carbs during the week and then "cheat" on the weekends. I've bounced from under 180 (after being sick on my scouting trip) to over 190 (when my wife fed me ice cream to fatten me back up ) over a two week period. This morning I was at 185, right where I want to be, so I'm not as committed as I was when I was trying to drop weight. I'll add some carbs on some of my heavy workout days, especially if I'm feeling low on energy. I haven't used the keto strips for over a month, so I don't know (or really care at this point) if I'm in or out of keto, but I'm not overly concerned as long as I feel good and am performing well in my workouts.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #1215
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Oh, and I've quit drinking almost completely. On the rare occasions I do, I try to stay with vodka and water with lime (partly why I've quit...I don't really like vodka with water! )
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #1216
kumathebear
Pope & Young
 
kumathebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DFW area
Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
This was from about 6 weeks ago.
I am now down 31 lbs total and I've been stuck for about 2 weeks. Think I need to cut out the artificial stuff and whiskey. Gonna give it a try for 2 weeks and see if it starts moving again. This is easy eating for me except no tacos or beer.

Anyone have a BBQ sauce recipe that's ok? I smoke alot of meat and although still good I miss sauce
Don't know if the link works, but we have been buying this on Amazon and it's really good! On our anniversary two weekends past, I took this to our favorite BBQ place around Granbury to substitute for their sugar FULL BBQ sauce. The manager even came over and tasted it and said it was better than their sauce. It has NO sugar, low on carbs and at least for us we love it. As usual, it ain't cheap.....

Let's see if the link works.....

Guy's Award Winning Sugar Free BBQ Sauce 18oz Glass Bottle (Pack of 3) Select Flavor Below (Best Seller Sampler Pack with 1 each of: Original * Smokey Garlic & Spicy)

Sold by: E Brands Mart
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #1217
Maddox
Ten Point
 
Maddox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Woodlands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
Don't know if the link works, but we have been buying this on Amazon and it's really good! On our anniversary two weekends past, I took this to our favorite BBQ place around Granbury to substitute for their sugar FULL BBQ sauce. The manager even came over and tasted it and said it was better than their sauce. It has NO sugar, low on carbs and at least for us we love it. As usual, it ain't cheap.....

Let's see if the link works.....

Guy's Award Winning Sugar Free BBQ Sauce 18oz Glass Bottle (Pack of 3) Select Flavor Below (Best Seller Sampler Pack with 1 each of: Original * Smokey Garlic & Spicy)

Sold by: E Brands Mart

HEB has been carrying it. I like it, itís pretty darn good.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #1218
jsctx84
Ten Point
 
jsctx84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seguin
Hunt In: Kimble County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
HEB has been carrying it. I like it, itís pretty darn good.
Iím going to keep a look out for this
jsctx84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #1219
dezigirl78
Eight Point
 
dezigirl78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ft Worth
Hunt In: Anywhere I can/invite
Default

I'm going to preface this with the fact that I've only ready the first two and last two pages of this post.... because its 25 pages for crying out loud. lol

For those who have had great results - I'm seeing a lot of "This is the easiest diet" comments. Everything I have read doesn't make it sound easy at all. Calculating macros, test trips, MCT Oil, fasting... that sounds really tough. It seems like you would have to get really focused on those things in order to see the quick weight loss associated with this plan. Anyone can make meals out of beef and cheese - but how far does that take you? Making a lifestyle change to a high fat diet seems more like a science. Are yall doing the bullet coffee, fasting, and calculating macros?

I want to give this nutrition plan a shot, but the science part of it sounds like a pita.

Also... beer. :'-(
dezigirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #1220
icetrauma
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pasadena
Hunt In: Dreams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezigirl78 View Post
I'm going to preface this with the fact that I've only ready the first two and last two pages of this post.... because its 25 pages for crying out loud. lol

For those who have had great results - I'm seeing a lot of "This is the easiest diet" comments. Everything I have read doesn't make it sound easy at all. Calculating macros, test trips, MCT Oil, fasting... that sounds really tough. It seems like you would have to get really focused on those things in order to see the quick weight loss associated with this plan. Anyone can make meals out of beef and cheese - but how far does that take you? Making a lifestyle change to a high fat diet seems more like a science. Are yall doing the bullet coffee, fasting, and calculating macros?

I want to give this nutrition plan a shot, but the science part of it sounds like a pita.

Also... beer. :'-(


You're making it out to be a lot harder than it is. The main goal, when you first start out, is fats 70%, protein 25% and net carbs 5% or less. That's all you need to worry about for a while and the daily caloric intake will take care of itself. There are a lot of keto recipes online along with plenty of cook books as well. It's not just meat and cheese. As far as fasting goes, that will be your choice. Once you're 100% fat adapted, fasting is a walk in the park. There are days I've gone 18 hrs with out even thinking about food because my body has tapped in to its fat for fuel. Bulletproof Coffee, I do it off and on.

Counting calories can be a pain in the arse but if you want to make sure your percentages are on point, then it's an evil necessary until you get used to the eating plan and don't need it anymore.

Dr. Ken Berry on Youtube has some solid video's on the plan along with a lot of others. Jason Wittrock, Goodybeats, Keto Connect, Thomas Delauer, Mark Bell and a whole lot more.
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #1221
dezigirl78
Eight Point
 
dezigirl78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ft Worth
Hunt In: Anywhere I can/invite
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetrauma View Post
You're making it out to be a lot harder than it is. The main goal, when you first start out, is fats 70%, protein 25% and net carbs 5% or less. That's all you need to worry about for a while and the daily caloric intake will take care of itself. There are a lot of keto recipes online along with plenty of cook books as well. It's not just meat and cheese. As far as fasting goes, that will be your choice. Once you're 100% fat adapted, fasting is a walk in the park. There are days I've gone 18 hrs with out even thinking about food because my body has tapped in to its fat for fuel. Bulletproof Coffee, I do it off and on.

Counting calories can be a pain in the arse but if you want to make sure your percentages are on point, then it's an evil necessary until you get used to the eating plan and don't need it anymore.

Dr. Ken Berry on Youtube has some solid video's on the plan along with a lot of others. Jason Wittrock, Goodybeats, Keto Connect, Thomas Delauer, Mark Bell and a whole lot more.
Ok. I'll check those out. I eat very very low carb anyways, so that part will not be difficult. Beer and bourbon are why I do not lose any weight, and I know that. Sounds like I need to make sure I'm formulating properly to achieve ketosis, and not just a low carb nutrition plan.

Are the test strips necessary? Maybe just in the beginning?
dezigirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #1222
icetrauma
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pasadena
Hunt In: Dreams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezigirl78 View Post
Ok. I'll check those out. I eat very very low carb anyways, so that part will not be difficult. Beer and bourbon are why I do not lose any weight, and I know that. Sounds like I need to make sure I'm formulating properly to achieve ketosis, and not just a low carb nutrition plan.

Are the test strips necessary? Maybe just in the beginning?
The strips are not necessary. Some say they are good, while others debunk their effectiveness. Plus, once you reach ketosis and fat adaption, the pee sticks have been known not to work properly because, you're using the ketones for fuel and not pissing them out.

As far as the booze is concerned, I would lay off for at least a month. Also, your tolerance level will plummet while on Keto.

Also look up supplements to take to avoid the "keto flu".
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #1223
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young
 
denimdeerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hempstead
Hunt In: Waller
Default

Well it looks like the fasting is working. I got the scale back to moving again and in the right direction. I have only had two cheat meals since I started and maybe a few patron silver on one occasion.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #1224
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young
 
Rack Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Of The Gulf Coast Aquifer
Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water
Default

Folks who are drinking whiskey and beer daily are NOT in Ketosis...
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #1225
TexaRican
Pope & Young
 
TexaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky
Default

Well, I worked out hard Friday, played 18 holes Sat morning then worked out hard again Sat afternoon. Had a 4 fingers buffalo trace Sat evening but otherwise was strict all week. Sunday I took a green coffee bean extract pill before church knowing Iíd cheat at my Fatherís Day brunch. Had chicken fried steak, taters and 2 pints of Back Pew Hopostle (Sunday after all) but then hit the gym again and ate strict Sunday night. Great workout this morning and made it through the day on one BIG keto coffee. Strip was dark pink just now and I feel great so Iím not touching the scale


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #1226
kumathebear
Pope & Young
 
kumathebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DFW area
Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
Folks who are drinking whiskey and beer daily are NOT in Ketosis...
Been told by a physician and several other sources the Liquor "part" is not true? Beer is no question with the carb content...so can you elaborate on your statement? Of course, what you mix with the liquor will affect depending on carbs, etc. Not challenging, but just qualify the statement please.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #1227
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Don't have a place yet
Default

I'm 1 week in and already down 9 pounds. I feel like that is too much too fast but we'll see how it goes in the coming weeks. The hardest part for me has been trying to keep the carbs down around 5%. I'm going to have to look at some of the meal plan videos to get some ideas.

I picked up some urine strips today and they show moderate to large ketones. I guess that means it's working.
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #1228
icetrauma
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pasadena
Hunt In: Dreams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
I'm 1 week in and already down 9 pounds. I feel like that is too much too fast but we'll see how it goes in the coming weeks. The hardest part for me has been trying to keep the carbs down around 5%. I'm going to have to look at some of the meal plan videos to get some ideas.

I picked up some urine strips today and they show moderate to large ketones. I guess that means it's working.
The 9 lbs is most likely 100% water weight. It takes a while for the fat to start stripping off. That is not uncommon with keto.
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #1229
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young
 
Rack Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Of The Gulf Coast Aquifer
Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water
Default

Thomas can explain it better than I can but the way I see it, liquor once or twice a week in moderation may be ok but it will stop the ketogenic process. Daily, in my opinion, would be a no no. If you like to drink on weekends, you might do some research into Keto Cycling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
Been told by a physician and several other sources the Liquor "part" is not true? Beer is no question with the carb content...so can you elaborate on your statement? Of course, what you mix with the liquor will affect depending on carbs, etc. Not challenging, but just qualify the statement please.

Last edited by Rack Ranch; 06-19-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #1230
dezigirl78
Eight Point
 
dezigirl78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ft Worth
Hunt In: Anywhere I can/invite
Default

I've gotten all of the fat/carb/protein ratios planned out, meals prepped and ready to go.

Today looks like this:

3 links turkey sausage, 1/2 avocado

1 cup kale saute'd in ghee with one free range poached egg

2 chicken tenders dipped in egg and rolled in crushed hot n spicy pork rinds, bacon/cheddar cauli mash, 1/2 a zucchini saute'd in ghee

1 cup lettuce with Tessemae's Zesty Ranch (19 grams of fat per tbsp)

buffalo chicken casserole (made with spaghetti squash), 1 cup lettuce w/ Ranch


This is a TON of food, but it's what I have to do to meet the macros that were calculated. Seems crazy! LOL

I'm also cutting the alcohol - beer and liquor for the first month. I want true results.
The tricky part is going to be the 10 days in Colorado. I'm 2 weeks out on that. I think the no carb part will be fine, but getting enough fat could be tricky.
dezigirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #1231
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young
 
Rack Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Of The Gulf Coast Aquifer
Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water
Default

^^^^ Hey Dez, make sure you cook that chicken in olive, avocado, or coconut oil^^^^
I would also add some oil to your salad. Good luck on your journey to a new life style. Your going to be amazed at how much energy you have and how well your cognitive function is going to improve.
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #1232
dezigirl78
Eight Point
 
dezigirl78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ft Worth
Hunt In: Anywhere I can/invite
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
^^^^ Hey Dez, make sure you cook that chicken in olive, avocado, or coconut oil^^^^
I would also add some oil to your salad. Good luck on your journey to a new life style. Your going to be amazed at how much energy you have and how well your cognitive function is going to improve.
Thanks so much - and I hope so! Especially the cognitive function - I feel like a ding-bat most days.
dezigirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #1233
Bigdaddy
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TEXAS
Default

I got tot chime in on this post. I do a variation of this diet. First I have lost 215 pounds in the last 19 months!! I eat about 100 grams of protein daily with about 6 servings of fruits and veggies. I eat about 6 times daily three meals and three snacks. I usually drink a gallon or more of water of water. I walk as much as i can and do light weigh training. Not quite the keto diet but my variation of the diet and it works really.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #1234
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I got tot chime in on this post. I do a variation of this diet. First I have lost 215 pounds in the last 19 months!! I eat about 100 grams of protein daily with about 6 servings of fruits and veggies. I eat about 6 times daily three meals and three snacks. I usually drink a gallon or more of water of water. I walk as much as i can and do light weigh training. Not quite the keto diet but my variation of the diet and it works really.
WOW! Any way you slice it, that's impressive! Congratulations on the success!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #1235
Bigdaddy
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TEXAS
Default

thanks
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #1236
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!
Default

Anybody used a meal replacement powder/ Sometimes I'm busy or don't have a good option for breakfast or lunch.

I've been using the primal kitchen meal replacement powder.....just seeing if there is any other keto friendly options.

I don't test my ketosis very ofter, so not sure if it's throwing me out.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #1237
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!
Default

Dupe.....strange....

Last edited by Traildust; 06-21-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #1238
icetrauma
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pasadena
Hunt In: Dreams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Anybody used a meal replacement powder/ Sometimes I'm busy or don't have a good option for breakfast or lunch.

I've been using the primal kitchen meal replacement powder.....just seeing if there is any other keto friendly options.

I don't test my ketosis very ofter, so not sure if it's throwing me out.
No sir and Iím not sure of any that are Keto friendly. At least the ones Iím aware of.
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #1239
dezigirl78
Eight Point
 
dezigirl78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ft Worth
Hunt In: Anywhere I can/invite
Default

Down 5lbs week one!!

Here is my trip snack list for our 10 days in CO... it's pretty short:

Quest bars
single almond butter packets
jerky


If you have any ideas, let me know. Snacks must be non refrigerated, ready to eat, and no mess.
dezigirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #1240
Bruiser
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, Tx
Default

.

Last edited by Bruiser; 06-25-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Bruiser is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #1241
Bruiser
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, Tx
Default

What is your carb macro you are trying to stay under per day?
Bruiser is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #1242
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young
 
Rack Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Of The Gulf Coast Aquifer
Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water
Default

Macadamia nuts and Almonds. Keep an eye on your Quest Bar calories and keep up the good work!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezigirl78 View Post
Down 5lbs week one!!

Here is my trip snack list for our 10 days in CO... it's pretty short:

Quest bars
single almond butter packets
jerky


If you have any ideas, let me know. Snacks must be non refrigerated, ready to eat, and no mess.
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #1243
Bruiser
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, Tx
Default

I wouldnt eat the quest bars but thats me
Bruiser is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #1244
dezigirl78
Eight Point
 
dezigirl78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ft Worth
Hunt In: Anywhere I can/invite
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
What is your carb macro you are trying to stay under per day?
My calculated macros say to stay under 20 net carbs, but I've been more like 10 or less. I don't really watch my calories. When I hit my macros, my calories are right at 1400 each day and so I figure that must be a good number. I don't know what else to do to get the fat in besides just waiting to get to a place with food. We will be off road for 10 days, starting at 4 corners and ending in Wyoming. So... food won't always be readily available. This is where the quest bars come in, even though its not high in fat, it helps.
dezigirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #1245
HighwayHunter
Eight Point
 
HighwayHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezigirl78 View Post
My calculated macros say to stay under 20 net carbs, but I've been more like 10 or less. I don't really watch my calories. When I hit my macros, my calories are right at 1400 each day and so I figure that must be a good number. I don't know what else to do to get the fat in besides just waiting to get to a place with food. We will be off road for 10 days, starting at 4 corners and ending in Wyoming. So... food won't always be readily available. This is where the quest bars come in, even though its not high in fat, it helps.


Iíve been told and heard that itís not good to go that far under your calories and if you do you should still take in a couple of fat bombs to just up your fat numbers. Not sure how much truth there is to that but Iíve stuck by it and Iím still consistently losing lbs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2018, 12:08 AM   #1246
HighwayHunter
Eight Point
 
HighwayHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Anybody used a meal replacement powder/ Sometimes I'm busy or don't have a good option for breakfast or lunch.

I've been using the primal kitchen meal replacement powder.....just seeing if there is any other keto friendly options.

I don't test my ketosis very ofter, so not sure if it's throwing me out.


Fast. Try to eat from 12-4


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2018, 01:10 AM   #1247
IkemanTX
Eight Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Well guys, I convinced my wife to let me go back Keto. She had kicked me off of it about a year ago due to shopping, cooking, and meal prepping two separate diets. But, over the last year off Keto my weight crept up 12lbs, my cholesterol went up, my sugar crashes returned, and my energy levels dropped. She finally said enough is enough and Iím starting back up on the 1st. Iím so dang excited!

I think Iím going to kick it off with a 24 hour fast to jump start the ketosis.
Man, I canít believe the legs this thread has had since I started it. Lots of people have lost lots of weight on here!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by IkemanTX; 06-26-2018 at 01:44 AM.
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2018, 04:08 AM   #1248
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
Well guys, I convinced my wife to let me go back Keto. She had kicked me off of it about a year ago due to shopping, cooking, and meal prepping two separate diets. But, over the last year off Keto my weight crept up 12lbs, my cholesterol went up, my sugar crashes returned, and my energy levels dropped. She finally said enough is enough and Iím starting back up on the 1st. Iím so dang excited!

I think Iím going to kick it off with a 24 hour fast to jump start the ketosis.
Man, I canít believe the legs this thread has had since I started it. Lots of people have lost lots of weight on here!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats on starting back up! It's amazing how much a few pounds will mess with your health.

I am getting off Ketos for a few months but will be exercising a lot in an effort to maintain weight in check. At this point, I can't see how going on an extended trek onto the mountains and maintaining Keto would be feasible. Therefore, I am back to what used to be my regular diet less bread and or tortillas.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2018, 05:41 AM   #1249
Jamesdad07
Six Point
 
Jamesdad07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rosenberg
Hunt In: Mostly Gonzalez county
Default

Congrats on starting back up Ikeman. I think it is crazy how many posts there are on this thread and have been blown away by how many people are keto.
My wife wanted to start keto for about a month before I gave in. I was super reluctant because I crave carbs big time. We started just shy of 2 months ago and Iím down 20 lbs. Didnít have a ton of weight to lose to begin with (Iím 6í5Ē and was at 225) and am mostly just wanting to get rid of belly fat. The hardest things have been not drinking sweet tea, gatorade/Powerade, and a Fatherís Day dinner at a Mexican restaurant. Iíve been strict about sticking to it. We take magnesium supplements and drink Sole. One thing that Iím curious about it Iíve got to be in Ketosis (ordered Keto Mojo meter to make sure) but have not seen an increase in energy at all. If anything, Iíve seen a decline. I can say that I was drinking a lot of energy drinks before though. Does anyone have an idea whatís up with the energy factor?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamesdad07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #1250
TexaRican
Pope & Young
 
TexaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky
Default

Iím traveling, which is hard on this diet, and in day 3 of trying to follow Dr Berryís advice on no sweet flavors. Fasted 20 hours yesterday with nothing but water and black coffee. Ran 3 this morning after a solid keto coffee with no sweetener. Iím not hungry at all now 3 hours later. Hoping I can train my brain to not want the sweet flavor and drop the diet Dr Pepper, quest bars and such.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com