How to Drill Out A Stump for A Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Drill Out A Stump for A Table

So a couple years ago I stumbled across a huge pecan log, freshly cut. I got it home, let it dry a bit, then proceeded to turn it into a drink table for the porch. It’s the perfect height for a couple beers. The log was 53" in circumference and weighed 275 pounds, so I used a chainsaw to make a checker pattern and then hollow it out from the bottom. IT TOOK FOREVER. Also, I got a little careless with the chainsaw a time or two and cut through the exterior (good thing for backsides!). However, the weight reduction was significant. I can easily maneuver the table when necessary. It turned out great, gets lots of compliments, and we love it.

I want to do this project again (this time it’s for a standing cigar ashtray), but I’m convinced there must be a more efficient way to remove excess weight. That’s where you come in. What’s your best idea for removing wood from the interior of the stump? I have most normal homeowner tools, and I’m wanting to use those instead of some single-purpose, expensive alternative. This is DIY after all, so budget-friendly is almost a requirement.

My current idea is to just use a spade bit on a 12" extension. The largest I can find for reasonably cheap is 1.5” for $6.

Here's what the old table looked like.

Comment

Termites that can read a diagram.

Comment

Wouldn't that be nice. No aggies I guess.

Comment

Any real ideas?

Comment

Maybe one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsLeo View Post
              Never seen one of those. Looks dangerous but could work.

Comment

Watch New Zealand-based woodturner Sören Berger turn a radiata pine tree stump (originally cut down for firewood) into a unique, hand-crafted lampshade.

You get the concept Lol. I know it isn't Diy normal garage tools. I seen the video last week and thought I Would share

Comment

This is just a shot in the dark but seen it done somewhere long time ago. Person used a spade bit to drill a hole in the center, didn't have to go through all the way, then he set the hole on fire and basically burned out the center. You would just have to keep an eye on it so you could keep the sides from burning. Think he was doing it to get the bulk of the wood out.

Comment

How tall is the new log?

Although it'll be a little more expensive, a Forstner bit would work.
                    It's a round looking wood bit that will let you "overlap" holes.
                    You'd be able to overlap them until all the wood was gone.
                    You can buy an extension, to go deeper, but I think shallower cuts would work better.

Comment

Fire.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                        http://thekidshouldseethis.com/post/...e-from-a-stump

You get the concept Lol. I know it isn't Diy normal garage tools. I seen the video last week and thought I Would share
                        That's awesome. The only tool he used that I own is a lightbulb!

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                        Never seen one of those. Looks dangerous but could work.
                        The one review from the guy who severed all the tendons in his wrist when the bit caught on the log and flipped the grinder is enough for me to stay away.

Originally posted by LEGION View Post
                        This is just a shot in the dark but seen it done somewhere long time ago. Person used a spade bit to drill a hole in the center, didn't have to go through all the way, then he set the hole on fire and basically burned out the center. You would just have to keep an eye on it so you could keep the sides from burning. Think he was doing it to get the bulk of the wood out.
                        Yeah I read about that yesterday on a site for making "stump stoves." Would take a lot of babysitting but not much elbow grease.

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        How tall is the new log?

Although it'll be a little more expensive, a Forstner bit would work.
                        It's a round looking wood bit that will let you "overlap" holes.
                        You'd be able to overlap them until all the wood was gone.
                        You can buy an extension, to go deeper, but I think shallower cuts would work better.
                        Haven't picked up the new log yet (anybody got a dead pecan tree?) but was thinking this time I would do a 2 foot high and 10" diameter for a cigar ashtray. That should only weigh 72 pounds.

Comment

Cant wait to see how this turns out

Comment

Anybody got a good sized Forstner bit they'd lend me? Can pay shipping both ways and maybe send ya something in return.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              Anybody got a good sized Forstner bit they'd lend me? Can pay shipping both ways and maybe send ya something in return.
                              You can buy individual bits at Lowes or Home Depot.
                              Just like any other blade, it's going to get dull. I doubt you'll find a loaner.

Comment

Working...
                              X