Field points VS Broad head POI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field points VS Broad head POI?

So I'm having hell getting my broad heads to hit where my field points hit. At 20 yards it's inches but as I get to the 40, 50, 60+ ranges it's a large difference. I've tried a half a dozen different broad heads. Mechanical and fixed. The difference is more prominent with fixed blades. The bow has been paper tuned and all that.
    So, my question is, is there a way to get the BH's to hit where the FP's hit or do y'all just sight in for your broad heads and not bother with practicing with field points during season?

Your bow may be out of tune. All I shoot are Rages and they shoot the exact same as my field points out to 50 (haven't shot a broadhead past that, but I'd assume it'd continue to be the same). Are your field points a different grain than your broadheads?

Comment

What bow

Comment

Walk back tune? Try shooting field point and broadhead at 10 yd. Move arrow rest in TINY increments, steering broadhead poi. towards fieldpoint poi. till hit together. Then try 30 yd. and do same thing, again, TINY arrow rest adjustments.

Comment

It's a Mathews DXT with QAD Ultra rest. For what it's worth, I had the same issue with my last bow, a Bowtech Assasin w/whisker biscuit.

I've taken it to two different bow shops and both tuned it to the best of their capabilities. Both claimed its "tuned perfectly"...

I've tried NAP Spitfires (my preferred head), NAP hellrazors, Rages, Mussy's, Hellcats and a few others. One will be high left, the next low right, and so on. It's not me either. My groups are great.

I even bought a scale to weigh with and all the BH's are VERY close in weight to my FP's.

I'm at a loss...
          Last edited by Cuz; 10-09-2014, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Check timing on rest and if your getting fletching contact

Comment

Take it to a good bow shop!!! I did and my bow is shooting great.

Comment

It could be a number of things causing the problem, bow tuning, contact with the rest, arrows, etc. It is also more often than not caused by torque on the bow or some other form issue with the shooter.
                Have you checked for fletching contact with the rest? Do you have any pic's or video of you shooting that you could post?

Comment

Are your broadheads hitting right of your field points ?

Comment

Up at 2:30AM!!! No reason to lose sleep over it! So, your grouping your shots they are just off from your field point POI, I'd do a walk back tuning. It takes a little time because like demtx said it is tiny adjustments, 1/64 - 1/32 or less. Give me a call if you need a brief description of how to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                      Up at 2:30AM!!! No reason to lose sleep over it! So, your grouping your shots they are just off from your field point POI, I'd do a walk back tuning. It takes a little time because like demtx said it is tiny adjustments, 1/64 - 1/32 or less. Give me a call if you need a brief description of how to do this.
                      He stated above he is grouping FP but broadheads are not

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                        So I'm having hell getting my broad heads to hit where my field points hit. At 20 yards it's inches but as I get to the 40, 50, 60+ ranges it's a large difference. I've tried a half a dozen different broad heads. Mechanical and fixed. The difference is more prominent with fixed blades. The bow has been paper tuned and all that.
                        So, my question is, is there a way to get the BH's to hit where the FP's hit or do y'all just sight in for your broad heads and not bother with practicing with field points during season?
                        Are you taking shots at 50 & 60 yards while you hunt?

Comment

Mechanicals should fly like field points. With that being said some bows prefer a particular broadhead. My bow likes G-5 Striker and Gernan Kenetic Silver Flame. All sharp broad heads will kill. I hunt mostly Texas and shots are 30 yards in, so that is what I tune for. If less than an inch off leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                            Your bow is out of tune homie. Paper tuning is just a starting point. Walk back tuning will get you where you need to be unless there's something else going on.
                            Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                            It could be a number of things causing the problem, bow tuning, contact with the rest, arrows, etc. It is also more often than not caused by torque on the bow or some other form issue with the shooter.
                            Have you checked for fletching contact with the rest? Do you have any pic's or video of you shooting that you could post?
                            If it were torque, his field tips wouldn't be flying right either, Right?!?

Originally posted by bermise View Post
                            Are you taking shots at 50 & 60 yards while you hunt?
                            What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                              Mechanicals should fly like field points. With that being said some bows prefer a particular broadhead. My bow likes G-5 Striker and Gernan Kenetic Silver Flame. All sharp broad heads will kill. I hunt mostly Texas and shots are 30 yards in, so that is what I tune for. If less than an inch off leave it alone.
                              I disagree. Out of tune is out of tune. Any variable that is showing itself under calm circumstances while shooting a target will almost always be magnified when under the pressure of a hunting situation. Minuscule imperfections tend to become big problems under stress and especially with an out of tune bow.

Comment

Working...
                              X