Field points VS Broad head POI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
    Cuz. You are not that far from where I live in Arlington. If you will come by one evening I think we can get your BH and FP hitting together with a few simple adjustments. I have all the equipment we need to make the adjustments. Your fletching are are masking an arrow flight issue created by your bow being slightly out of tune. The fletching will correct the flight on your field points and mechanicals. The fixed blade will "rat out" an arrow leaving your bow less than perfectly straight. Come by and we can fix it.
    I'll send you a pm. All this technical talk is above my pay grade.

Comment

And if all else fails, spin test your arrows. You may have a situation where not every broadhead seats perfectly on your arrow, causing the bh to steer. This will generally cause bh's to group poorly in addition to not grouping with fp's. Get a G5 arrow squaring device to true up the end of the arrow. Cutting arrows perfectly perpendicular is hard to do even with a proper cutoff saw.

Comment

Whatever the problem is you better get it fixed before we go to Colorado. I am way to fat to be tracking wounded elk all across the high country

Comment

I tried to get my fp and bh to hit the same point of impact last year and it never happened. I moved the rest every which way and it didn't help. I bought different spine arrows, Differemt lengths, walk back tuned, French tuned, broadheads tuned nothing helped. I saw arrowsmiths post on bare shaft tunning last month, went out and bought a portable press and started tunning. In one afternoon I accomplished what I couldn't the entire year before. Thanks for posting up such great info arrowsmith.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
            I tried to get my fp and bh to hit the same point of impact last year and it never happened. I moved the rest every which way and it didn't help. I bought different spine arrows, Differemt lengths, walk back tuned, French tuned, broadheads tuned nothing helped. I saw arrowsmiths post on bare shaft tunning last month, went out and bought a portable press and started tunning. In one afternoon I accomplished what I couldn't the entire year before. Thanks for posting up such great info arrowsmith.
            Give a man a fish (your bowshop tuning your bow) and your bow "might" shoot well for you.

Teach a man to fish (learning to tune your bow yourself) ....you can make your bow shoot well for yourself.

It makes you feel good to do it yourself and get results....don't it ?

Like I have said before.....the legendary Easton tuning guide that is flashed on every archery forum around when tuning is mentioned can frustrate the heck out of you. It only addresses a small portion of the tuning process.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisMears.net View Post
              Check out this set of flash cards from Ike outdoors. makes sense to me.
              That's some good medicine made simple . Do this in order!
              Paper
              Sight in
              Walk back
              Broadhead

And remember you can quickly Weaken spine with a 125 grain tip , and you can stiffen spine with 75 grain

Comment

definitely some great advice and some terrible advice on this thread.

First what your seeing is normal if you haven't taken to the time to tune the bow. where your broadheads are hitting will tell you whats wrong . . . could and probably is a spine issue. I'd say absolutely do a walk back test and absolutely move to broadhead tuning.

Last, MANY and I mean MANY times the answer to bad broadhead grouping is move to a mechanical it'll solve the group problem. yes it absolutely will at the cost of penetration. how many times you see a post on here by someone saying they can't stand mechanicals because they get poor penetration? A tuned bow will shoot a mechanical AND a fixed in an optimal way. . . . . you want penetration put all the power on an arrow that is flying straight. You rely too much on your vanes to correct the arrow flight and you are going to lose penetration with a mechanical. Easy to envision . . . . a head hitting straight with an arrow that is flying straight vs a head that is hitting just a bit off with the tail of the arrow off you can imagine that it won't work at its ideal.

torque and all of that is a factor, certainly should always work on your shooting form. But I'd bet with a field point you do a walk back and you'll find that your arrow is drifting one or another direction. Fix that then shoot broadheads and all you need to do is adjust the weight to figure out whats going on with your spine.

Comment

Working...
                X