Lake Fairfield Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Fairfield Future?

Following a thread on fishing forum about what will happen to Lake Fairfield and the State Park when Big Browns shuts down in a few days. Some of the things I have heard include opening the gates and letting the lake drain down to bottom of gates (7 feet), that TPW is going to abandon maintenance and management of the State Park and the City of Fairfield wants to convert it to a water treatment site. I know there are some other TBH's here that have camped, fished and hunted there and love it as much as we do, just wondering if anybody here or a local Fairfield TBHer might have better info on Lake Fairfield's future? Sure hate to see us loose another place to get outdoors!

Wow, in all the talk of the power plant shutting down and possible effects on the lake, I have never once heard that scenario discussed as an option. Although I guess it could be a possibility. Everything I hear is that things will remain status quo. Yes the lake will cool off dramaticlly, yes the tilapia and reds will die, but other than that it will be the same. State Park has done some major renovations over the last 3 years or so and I dont see them abandoning it. Catfishing is great and bass fishing is good. We catch hundreds of fish out of there during the week of spring break
    Last edited by texan16; 02-06-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

The State of Texas is not going to close this park down just because the power plant is ceasing operations. I was there Saturday talking with staff and they are not going to miss the madness in the park in the winter. Spring and Summer are busier months than winter for them, they are planning a class for Certified Angler Instructor training workshop in May. Myself, I dang sure wont miss the cast netters destroying the reed beds on this lake and keeping every species they catch in their nets. We wont have to worry about fish kills because the lake temperature is so hot it depletes the oxygen. This lake will survive and the park with prosper without the hot water. Now the city of Fairfield, will be affected more than the park will with the loss of jobs.

Comment

Many coal fired plants are mothballing or moving to a seasonal schedule. We did that with Gibbons Creek...I'm not sure if it's a complete shutdown at BB or not...?

With all the renewable projects this trend will continue, sign of the times in the Electric business.

Comment

Originally posted by kch73 View Post
          Many coal fired plants are mothballing or moving to a seasonal schedule. We did that with Gibbons Creek...I'm not sure if it's a complete shutdown at BB or not...?

With all the renewable projects this trend will continue, sign of the times in the Electric business.

Complete shutdown

Comment

With it being a Luminant facilty that doesn't surprise me...they broke!

Hope it has a future but all these lakes were built in the 60's and 70's to provide cooling for the plants...fishing, camping, rec was just a added benefit...tough deal.

Comment

I’m pretty sure that Calpine Freestone uses water from the Lake..... I doubt they drain it.

Comment

Our family ranch is in Teague not too far away. I learned to fish on that ranch and thought I was hanging with the big boys when I got to take the flat bottom John to Lake Fairfield for the first time. Lots of good memories there, but vividly remember the warm water bringing a lot of "unfair sportsmen" to the area. Sad to see Fairfield lose the jobs, but I'm sure the park will live on with a renewed ecology.

Comment

I haven't heard anything about draining down the lake, but that doesn't mean they won't.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                    The State of Texas is not going to close this park down just because the power plant is ceasing operations. I was there Saturday talking with staff and they are not going to miss the madness in the park in the winter. Spring and Summer are busier months than winter for them, they are planning a class for Certified Angler Instructor training workshop in May. Myself, I dang sure wont miss the cast netters destroying the reed beds on this lake and keeping every species they catch in their nets. We wont have to worry about fish kills because the lake temperature is so hot it depletes the oxygen. This lake will survive and the park with prosper without the hot water. Now the city of Fairfield, will be affected more than the park will with the loss of jobs.
                    Good to hear your input and knowledgable update. It's a gem of a Lake, park and deer watching spot for a lot of visitors. The fishing forum I am on has a lot of misinformation and apparently fake news. I agree with you about the tilapia farming will be put to a dead stop. I have seen the cleaning station elbow to elbow with the "farmers" emptying their nets with bass caught up with the tilapia.

Comment

No, totally shut down and out of business. The one at Lake Monticello is also ceasing operations permanently.

Comment

So you're telling us that all those wind turbines people complain about are producing that much electricity?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Monticello is closing, and they will open the gates to let the water in Lake Monticello and Lake Bob Sandlin seek the same level. It will draw Monticello down considerably, I believe 7 feet, but since Lake Sandlin is a larger lake, it will raise its level only about a foot.

Comment

About 20 percent...

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            So you're telling us that all those wind turbines people complain about are producing that much electricity?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                            The ERCOT load is about 20 percent served by Renewable's currently and more projects are being built as we speak.

Comment

I knew that one was...

Originally posted by Gom View Post
                              No, totally shut down and out of business. The one at Lake Monticello is also ceasing operations permanently.
                              That's one of oldest coal plants in the State. Good bass fishing on Monti as well...

Comment

Working...
                              X