I'm a GoPro noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a GoPro noob

So, Mrs got me a GoPro Hero 3 Silver for Christmas.

It is really neat, and I got a chance to play with it a little while we were in Mena. It clamped right up to the rack on the quad. Got some fun footage.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s0nmAzltMc"]2014.12.29 - Wolf Pen Gap Trail 1 to Trail 2 - YouTube[/ame]

What I learned:

Battery standby is poo. It would record maybe an hour worth of footage in a day, and would be dead in 3 hours of standby. That is unacceptable. Need some help and advice on that front.

Any thoughts on using the GoPro video editing software?

Also - how do I upload to YouTube without it butchering my video quality? I shot 1080 vid with the camera, and it only uploads as 360. I can't find a setting to upload better quality stuff.

Thanks for any help!

Ttt

Looking for any advice y'all might have with this nifty gadget.

Comment

Is that part of K Trail?
      In for tips also, got the same one as a gift

Comment

No sir, it is part of Wolf Pen Gap. It is an ATV/UTV trail system. Pretty darn cool area. When we were there, it had rained for nearly a week before, and so most of the trails were closed to prevent trail damage. We were only able to ride a few trails in Wolf Pen. We did ride a bunch of county roads (legal there, its is pretty darn awesome) to see some other sights.

The only part of K Trail I know, starts near Clayton, OK and runs over into this part of AR. I've done parts of it on the OK side, in Jeeps (Bronco for me), but never crossed into Arkansas. It was basically a beer cruise when I went (my buddies and I were all pretty hardcore rock crawlers, so it was a goof off thing)

Discover your next great ride in our library of the best bike routes in the world. An easy to use platform that has everything you need for cycling.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
          No sir, it is part of Wolf Pen Gap. It is an ATV/UTV trail system. Pretty darn cool area. When we were there, it had rained for nearly a week before, and so most of the trails were closed to prevent trail damage. We were only able to ride a few trails in Wolf Pen. We did ride a bunch of county roads (legal there, its is pretty darn awesome) to see some other sights.

The only part of K Trail I know, starts near Clayton, OK and runs over into this part of AR. I've done parts of it on the OK side, in Jeeps (Bronco for me), but never crossed into Arkansas. It was basically a beer cruise when I went (my buddies and I were all pretty hardcore rock crawlers, so it was a goof off thing)

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1990535

Yeah we did the bottom half from Clayton to old Indian hwy, beer cruise for sure. The only reason I put it in 4wd was to get the tcase in low and I didn't have to work the clutch much.
          Cool area had fun but would not likely do it again.

The second half apparently runs into Mena.

Comment

Ttt

Looking for any advice y'all might have with this nifty gadget.
            I have a 3+ black edition that I've used for a little while so I'll tell you what I have learned so far that might help.

That battery life is not the best and there isn't much you can do about that because it is so small. I bought an extra battery for like $20 so I can swap it out in the field if I need to. I use mine mainly as a secondary camera and I use the remote with it. So I mainly just turn it on and or video for 10-20 min a hunt. Sometimes I set it up where I think I'm going to shoot an animal and use the remote. I charge it every time I get home from a hunt so its always full before the next time.

Here is a link to a video where I used it as a reverse angle on the bow with a camera mount that I can also give you a link to if your interested.

This is a quick spot and stalk type of hunt that occurred during a work weekend at the ranch. EWT Pro-Staffer Kyle Fabian shoots a small black hog and drops ...

You can do pretty much anything with them is the cool thing so just try whatever and it might turn out really unique!

As far as editing goes, I just use pinnacle and it goes pretty smoothly and it will upload to youtube in 1080p. I haven't trying uploading directly to youtube so I cant help you there.

I took the black square piece of plastic that the camera came in with the box and made 2 slots on either side and ran a strap from a game camera around it. I use this little custom mount for almost everything and it works pretty well and its free! Here is a link to a video that shows the mount I'm talking about at 0:40.

This hunt took place during the early rut in November out in the beautiful east TX piney woods. EWT Pro-Staffer Kyle Fabian shoots a cull buck with the help ...

I hope this helps!

Comment

Good stuff, thanks!

Have you used the battery backpack for the GoPro? I wonder if it, or just another battery is a better investment.

I wonder if the backpack still fits inside the waterproof housing, or if it comes with a deeper back plate to facilitate the extra depth it must add to the camera body? The description on the website is a little unclear.

Comment

I own 2 GoPro's, love them. #1 use the wifi app #2 spend a lot of time on youtube watching tutorials. There is some good info out there. #3 use any edit software you like. But EDIT EDIT, EDIT.

Comment

Good stuff, thanks!

Have you used the battery backpack for the GoPro? I wonder if it, or just another battery is a better investment.

I wonder if the backpack still fits inside the waterproof housing, or if it comes with a deeper back plate to facilitate the extra depth it must add to the camera body? The description on the website is a little unclear.
                  The Battery backpack come with the proper door/back...

Comment

Good stuff, thanks!

Yes, the battery backpack will come with an extended back door that encloses it. I'm sure it will last longer than just an extra battery too. I probably wont ever use one just because it will add more weight and size to it.

I use the WIFI app for it as well and it works great! I love how you can change all the settings and see it live streaming with a small lag. However it drains the battery on your phone and gopro very fast and you have to be within about 10 yards on it to connect easily.

Comment

Working...
                    X