Calibers that have come and gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
    I never said they were dead or dying, just responding to the OP on what cartridges were hot and then not. However, the WSSM siblings are in danger.
    Fair enough. I'm at home sick with a fever. My reading comprehension might not be the best at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      .222 Remington has faded away some. Used to be the king in shooting matches and truck guns.

220 Swift does not seem to be all the rage anymore either.
      My dad still has a .222 Rem Mag. that was his father's. I want to start reloading just so I can use it.

Comment

The foreign military calibers like 8mm and .303 probably have a lot to do with the cheap surplus ammo drying up.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
          My dad still has a .222 Rem Mag. that was his father's. I want to start reloading just so I can use it.
          That would be so cool, I hunt with a marlin saddle gun my dad bought new in 1959. I killed a mountain lion and the bear in my avatar with it

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            That would be so cool, I hunt with a marlin saddle gun my dad bought new in 1959. I killed a mountain lion and the bear in my avatar with it
            That's pretty awesome.

Comment

We will probably include the Nosler group in 15 years.
              Last edited by Walker; 01-26-2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I really though the .17 Fireball (Remy's version of the 17 mach IV) would be a bigger hit than it was...it's really the best balanced 17cal centerfire around in regards to case capacity / efficiency.

I'm up to 3 rifles now & love it...strange it did not take off.

Comment

Wssm, the WSM with the exclusion of the 270 and 300 version, 6.8spc (it was replaced by the spc II correct?)

Comment

i'm surprised by you guys,,at this point i'm taking the lead on this thread

the 30 Herritt and the 357 Herritt !!!

Comment

6mm

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                        At least spell Creedmoor correct...
                        I am glad someone said it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                          ...but the 7X30 Waters is one of the most popular T/C Contender calibers. The most popular Contender calibers are 7X30 Waters, 357 Rem Max...
                          Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                          ...the 30 Herritt and the 357 Herritt !!!
                          I'm glad RBP pointed out the Contender cartridges. Lots of cartridges that many think are dead, dying, or not as popular are still very alive and well in the single shot community. The first two he pointed out are two of my all time favorites, in reverse order - I really enjoy the .357 Max, followed by the 7-30 Waters.

I really thought the Max was going to die when brass was all but dried up a short time ago, but Starline gave it a great boost by producing new brass, and Remington just made another big run of it recently as well. The Bellm's, Haus Of Arms, and Match Grade Machine have done a LOT for the Max in recent years, and the cartridge cases and barrels to shoot them in both the Contender and Encore have become readily available these days. HoA usually has a good supply in stock. I only wish the bullet companies would bring back some of the more popular projectiles - like Hornady's 180 grain SSP.

The 7-30 Waters, while still not available in properly head-stamped brass in any large quantities, is very easy to make from .30-30 brass, and Federal ammo is still available in limited quantities. I just picked up 4 boxes the other day. My only wish was that it was Brass, vice Nickel Brass cartridges. But in a single shot, I'm good. They will last long enough.

And speaking about re-forming .30-30 brass, we still have the .30 and 357 Herrett, which are still popular with the Contender crowd. While not something that most others will seek out, they are both very good handgun cartridges in easy-to-carry 10" barrels. I love my .30 Herrett Contender barrel.

My point of this was to show that even though some cartridges may seem to have fallen out of favor with the general shooting community, there are still specialty groups that hold some of them in very high regard. My example was the single shot crowd - particularly the T/C shooters, but I'm sure similar examples would apply to other groups as well.

All the best,
                          Glenn

Comment

300 Savage............
                            I have 3, a pump remy, given to me by my grand-dad, a model 99, and a remy 700 bolt, I reload mine, and they are my no go to ever sell.........
                            280 Remy......... I also will not part w/ this one...
                            6 mm Remy....... we have a older bolt gun... love it

Comment

218 B

My wife and daughter still shoot my 222 rem. My good friend shoots his 222 mag a lot .

Comment

just recalled another one,,, 225 winchester

Comment

Working...
                                X