No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw a couple doe this morning but didn't come in for a shot.

Comment

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Still haven't knocked anything down. Couple doe and fawn this morning but only the fawn presented a shot and 30 min later 2 young bucks came in that I gave a pass to. Passed on a young buck last night.

Anyone else having any luck.

Comment

Hey guys I have lived in San Angelo my whole life and have just recently been made aware of the opportunities at the state Park and twin buttes. Always just hunted the fields behind my house that my uncles farmed. I hunt in mason about two to three times a year and was looking for something closer and public. I came across this thread and want to hunt at these locations but don't want to mess up anybodies setups. Any advice for a guy new to hunting these areas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
          Hey guys I have lived in San Angelo my whole life and have just recently been made aware of the opportunities at the state Park and twin buttes. Always just hunted the fields behind my house that my uncles farmed. I hunt in mason about two to three times a year and was looking for something closer and public. I came across this thread and want to hunt at these locations but don't want to mess up anybodies setups. Any advice for a guy new to hunting these areas?

I have most of my experience with the state park. Have hunted it pretty hard the last 4 years. This year I my not get to hunt it much as my wife just had knee replacement surgery yesterday so taking care of her is priority. That's why I hunted TBR this past weekend as SP wasn't open yet. Last weekend was only my 2nd time hunting TBR. Son and I set up a couple pop ups in area 8. We saw deer but never got a shot opportunity on something I was willing to shoot.

The SP hunt starts this weekend so you still have time to scout before this weekend. It is a short season though. You can not set up any blind, feed or camera until this Saturday. In the 4 years my son, FIL and myself have hunted the SP we have averaged 3 deer per year. My son has had years when he shot multiple deer there. He has the advantage of living there. I have to drive up from San Antonio. To get started I suggest do like we did. We studied google maps hard and we have walked almost every part of each hunt area. We know the places fairly well now and don't scout as much but we put in a lot of walking. The SP is walk in only as opposed to most of TBR being drive in except for area 5 & 8. We like to set up a few different options for us. Last year in the SP we had a couple tripods and 3 pop ups set up in several areas. That way we could choose based on wind or if we went to an area and saw a bunch of trucks we could go to another spot so as not to mess up someone else's hunt. Obviously weekdays are best.

One word of advice to not interfere with other hunters setups is to not walk around in morning or evening or to try spot and stalk. It's frustrating to find someone hunting an area I have a blind already but it doesn't make me mad. They have a right to it and if they woke up earlier then good for them. It does really **** me off though when sitting in a spot and you see blaze orange walking thru the woods at sun up. That will ruin your day. These public land deer are very skittish once the season starts due to all the foot traffic and if you think you can sneak up on one you're crazy. We know many of the regulars that have been hunting there a while and the general areas they hunt so we avoid those areas. Obviously the further from the road the better. You get less foot traffic. You will see deer tracks and often times more tracks near the front of each area but our experience is the closer you are to 2288 the more those tracks are made at night.

As far as blinds and cameras we have only had one camera taken at the SP and lucky for us it was a broken one anyway. Night pics blank.Haven't had anyone mess with a blind but have had someone in one of our pop ups when showed up to hunt. Have heard of a lot of issues at TBR in the past. It may be a little better now that all should have an APH.

You can be successful but usually requires putting in the time. I put in almost 40 sits to get my one buck last year. This year with everything green it my be harder to get them in to corn.

If you want PM my son, 79F250, he will be doing some scouting in the SP along with my FIL this weekend and doing some hunting in TBR area 8. Good luck. PM me if other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
            I have most of my experience with the state park. Have hunted it pretty hard the last 4 years. This year I my not get to hunt it much as my wife just had knee replacement surgery yesterday so taking care of her is priority. That's why I hunted TBR this past weekend as SP wasn't open yet. Last weekend was only my 2nd time hunting TBR. Son and I set up a couple pop ups in area 8. We saw deer but never got a shot opportunity on something I was willing to shoot.

The SP hunt starts this weekend so you still have time to scout before this weekend. It is a short season though. You can not set up any blind, feed or camera until this Saturday. In the 4 years my son, FIL and myself have hunted the SP we have averaged 3 deer per year. My son has had years when he shot multiple deer there. He has the advantage of living there. I have to drive up from San Antonio. To get started I suggest do like we did. We studied google maps hard and we have walked almost every part of each hunt area. We know the places fairly well now and don't scout as much but we put in a lot of walking. The SP is walk in only as opposed to most of TBR being drive in except for area 5 & 8. We like to set up a few different options for us. Last year in the SP we had a couple tripods and 3 pop ups set up in several areas. That way we could choose based on wind or if we went to an area and saw a bunch of trucks we could go to another spot so as not to mess up someone else's hunt. Obviously weekdays are best.

One word of advice to not interfere with other hunters setups is to not walk around in morning or evening or to try spot and stalk. It's frustrating to find someone hunting an area I have a blind already but it doesn't make me mad. They have a right to it and if they woke up earlier then good for them. It does really **** me off though when sitting in a spot and you see blaze orange walking thru the woods at sun up. That will ruin your day. These public land deer are very skittish once the season starts due to all the foot traffic and if you think you can sneak up on one you're crazy. We know many of the regulars that have been hunting there a while and the general areas they hunt so we avoid those areas. Obviously the further from the road the better. You get less foot traffic. You will see deer tracks and often times more tracks near the front of each area but our experience is the closer you are to 2288 the more those tracks are made at night.

As far as blinds and cameras we have only had one camera taken at the SP and lucky for us it was a broken one anyway. Night pics blank.Haven't had anyone mess with a blind but have had someone in one of our pop ups when showed up to hunt. Have heard of a lot of issues at TBR in the past. It may be a little better now that all should have an APH.

You can be successful but usually requires putting in the time. I put in almost 40 sits to get my one buck last year. This year with everything green it my be harder to get them in to corn.

If you want PM my son, 79F250, he will be doing some scouting in the SP along with my FIL this weekend and doing some hunting in TBR area 8. Good luck. PM me if other questions.

Thanks for the info, I came across this late this year. Will have to do more earlier next year as far as scouting. Thanks for the info and I hope and pray for a speedy recovery for your wife.

Comment

Quick question, so for the units that you can drive in...do you need to buy the $20 OHV sticker for your truck? Or is having the APH permit good enough?

Comment

You need the OHV sticker

Comment

Originally posted by birddogem301 View Post
                  You need the OHV sticker

Thanks birddogem

Comment

Your welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by birddogem301 View Post
                      You need the OHV sticker

You only need the OHV sticker for atv/utv or a vehicle that's not registered (not highway legal)

Comment

79F250 is correct. For APH properties only unregistered vehicles need the OHV sticker.

We have a conflicting statute that states all vehicles on public land need the OHV sticker (Parks & Wildlife Code Title 3, Chapter 29.001 (4)(A)) but we are going by the information that the APH book provides which specifically states unregistered motor vehicles (page xviii of the APH book).

We are working on cleaning up some of these conflicting rules for the future and right now, getting the designated trails and designated roads clearly defined, recognized, and approved by the Bureau of Reclamation is our number one priority.

Comment

Thanks for clarification TGW

Comment

If you have a 4wheeler make sure you get a helmet. I got stopped the other day

Comment

Hahaha... that sucks bro... do you feel served and protected?

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has been to Bexar county bowhunting ranch. Any reviews?

Comment

Working...
                                X