No announcement yet.

'Official' 2014 Trapping Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open the jaws with two hands and use the pointer finger of one hand to flip the dog under the pan.

Or you can stand on the jaws while you mess with the dog.

That comes from my sub-amateur advice and only 4 or 5 pinched fingers (so far)
    Last edited by Patton; 02-15-2014, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Don't tie your tap to the camera post

Double hander

Comment

2 nights, 2 traps, 2 coons--and this one had 2 feet (both front) in the trap.

Comment

I really like how easy those DP's set and how high of a catch rate they get.

Comment

Do snares count? He got 1 yote, 1 bobcat and 2 coons today
            Attached Files

Comment

Don't matter how they are caught to me as long as they are caught

Comment

Snare, foothold, or live trap it all counts

Congrats to the young man on his catches

Comment

I posted my boy's success on my own thread and just remembered we had this thread.

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                  Hey y'all,
                  I took my boy out Friday afternoon and set 6 Dukes DP traps. Ever since we ordered them he's been scouring the internet (and the GS ) looking for tips and advise.

Well we rolled up and I handed him the bucket of bait and traps and told him that this is his show. Evidently he'd been thinking about where to place them because he immediately gave me his list of targets.

We placed one on our east side which is just moderately wooded but no active feeders or anything else. Another went south to an area where they'd been seen on camera but never in person. The other four went to the west along a creek where we've seen fresh coon tracks every time we're there.

As we headed back to camp he asked if we could leave the sardine cans on the ground in a line next to each other. He said that that way we'd have an idea if they can find the bait as soon as we drive up the next day.

So fast forward an agonizing 20 hours to our return to camp. The first thing we notice is that the sardine cans are scattered across camp and licked clean. My boy just sprouts an excited smile ear to ear.

The first trap hadn't been sprung and the second was covered with ants. Evidently we placed it next to an ant pile and didn't realize it. The third one, that we put marshmallows in, was untouched as well. We were beginning to get discouraged. That all changed when we checked the final three. They were all along the creek and all had sardines.

We have a feeder pen that backs up to the creek and that's where he had his first success!

Total haul was two coons and a possum. 50% on 6 traps isn't too bad!!

BIG thanks to the GS for all of the information and help in making his first trap attempt a success!

Comment

Thats a nice fat opossum

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                      I posted my boy's success on my own thread and just remembered we had this thread.
                      Can you post a pic of how exactly you have that cable rigged? Thanks and awesome job.

Lucky dad

Comment

to set a snare or any trap on a fence line do you have to own both sides of the fence?

Comment

Originally posted by The Texan View Post
                          to set a snare or any trap on a fence line do you have to own both sides of the fence?
                          Just the side with the trap/snare I would think....

Comment

Assuming the fenceline is on the property line, I am pretty sure to put a snare on a fence you must own both sides, as you are trapping animals physically on both property sides. Traps, unsure.

I could be wrong, somebody will have the exact answer I'm sure.

Edit: Just realized I was responding to my trapping partner in crime..

Comment

I don't think trapping yotes and bobcats and coons will cause the same stink as killing a deer that crosses the fence

I would talk to the neighbor(s) and let them know what I was doing though just to be neighborly

Of course if your neighbor is a PETA freak you are bound to have a problem

Comment

First year trapping myself. 22 ammo is too hard to find. started with coons and mice, hey same kinda "whats in my trap" feeling. Dont knock it. Ordered half a dozen 1.75 dukes foot holds. Cant wait to set them out. So I read use a lure and urine right? How much of each? This thread needs some more tips. Coons are easy catch. Put food in trap, have coon. What about a smarter critter like yotes, cats? Anyone put any sets next to a gut pile/bone yard? If a deer gets caught can it get the hoof out, even a fawn?

Comment

Working...
                                X