My form checklist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My form checklist

I thought this idea might be helpful to others who are also fairly new to shooting trad.
    Every weekday morning before leaving to go to the gym I shoot 5-10 shots into a blank bale in my garage, concentrating on form. I made a form checklist which hangs on the wall next to my arrow rack and I always read it before taking my first shot. If I'm feeling "off" I go back and read it again and chances are one will jump out at me as something I'm not doing properly. This routine has proven to be quite helpful. For one thing, when I get home in the evening I can just go in the yard and shoot at targets without thinking about form much at all.
    None of these are new or original, of course. Some of these I got from a lesson with Javi, some I read around here or in archery books. The point is to come up with a list that will remind you to do the things necesary to develop consistent form.
    My checklist:

* Set feet
    * Relaxed grip with thumb and index finger slightly touching
    * Drop bow arm in socket
    * Deep hook, relax drawing hand
    * Raise bow, feel back muscles
    * Visualize a perfect shot
    * "J-draw" with back muscles, expand chest
    * Push bow arm through target
    * Finger to corner of mouth, cock feather to tip of nose
    * Hyper focus on spot - see arrow flight!
    * Release by pulling through
    * Follow through - keep bow arm steady until arrow impacts

I sosmetimes add or subtract things from this list as they occur to me. Once again you have to come up with a list worded in a way that works for you. After doing this for several months my form is much more consistent
    Last edited by jerp; 11-08-2012, 02:49 PM.

The best way to see if your`re doing all correct is videotape yourself and then check the video...

Comment

Sounds like a good routine Jerp, my shot sequence is very similar to yours. It's easy to overlook the need to have a set routine, but in my opinion it's one of the most important things to iron out when shooting trad bows, without one it's hard to be consistent and nearly impossible to "troubleshoot" when things start going wrong. When my arrows start to wander during practice I always stop and go to the blank bale to go through my shot sequence enough times to re-cage my brain.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

thats to much thinking for me.. I just draw back and shoot lol

Comment

I did those same things on a blind bale for a few weeks. Now I don't think about them much anymore. It's a good list, for sure.

Comment

Mine is...

Straight wrist
              Slight bend in elbow
              Pick a spot
              push bow hand directly at Target and pull string hand directly away, keeping elbow parallel to arrow.
              Solid anchor
              Back tension
              Away she goes

Comment

Working...
              X