No announcement yet.

Long work commute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work the same schedule with two young kids, I live 5 minutes from work and still hate the schedule. Working two weekends a month robs time from the kids. That drive would make it even worse. If you are that serious you should try staying in a hotel or travel trailer a few weeks and see how you handle it. I think you would regret it but different strokes for different folks

Comment

Mine is a little over an hour with no wrecks. Been doing it for years. It is a price to pay not to live with no room. I have not heard a siren in 4 years while at home. Don’t have unexpected guests or people show up at my house. Worth it to me

Comment

I drove 1.45 hours every weekday for two years before I was able to transfer closer to my home in the woods. It was very hard at times. I mostly rode a motorcycle everyday to keep my fuel cost down. I was tired of living in Houston, and it was worth the long hours during the week just to be home in the woods every weekend

Comment

Brother did something similar and drove about 1.5 hours to work daily each way, loved it....for about 5 years, then moved closer to work. Depends on family and what you are giving up. It is a double edge sword, some like it, some don't. I prefer to enjoy the outdoors while the sun is shining, but not through a windshield. It depends on your priorities, which may change in time. Ultimately, it is your (and families) call, and a commitment.

Comment

In PA I drove 1.5-1.75hrs one way (longer if I hit construction or an accident) to PIT airport when I worked for US Airways. It was 88 miles one way. Why? Because I despise city or even suburb living. A long commute and living in the country (or close to it) is always better to me. 2 hrs is pushing it though.

I drive close to an hour one way now to DFW airport. For the same reason as above. When we were house shopping we couldn't find anything closer we even remotely liked.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
              1 accident on the way to and from work, can easily make that 2 hr drive a 3 hr drive. Say you have to be at work at 0500. Are you going to be able to get up at 0230, get ready and leave no later than 0300. Work 12 hrs, get off at 1700, start of the height of traffic in the Greater Houston Area. Beltway 8 at the height of traffic is a beast, plus you'll have to hit 290 which, is another beast. I would say your drive home during a day shift would be more like 3 hrs. Or, you fight traffic and stop lights on Hwy 6 to get to Grand Parkway. Say you get home at 1930, eat dinner with the family and it's already 2030 by the time you get to bed. This doesn't include spending any extra time with the wife or kiddo's. Providing you sack out right at that moment, that is only 6 hrs sleep. Now, figure in extra wear and tear on any vehicle plus gas and routine maintenance. Current drive time as of this post from Santa Fe to Brenham is 2 hrs and 8 min. You can always make the drive one day from work to Brenham, on one of your off days, during your expected travel hours to see if you really want to make that drive daily.
              I’ve made that drive after work a lot, i don’t mind the time behind the wheel at all, and the way I go to Brenham during traffic time, I never see Houston or the beltway or hwy 6 either. But I understand what your saying about the time away from family. All stuff me and the wife will have to discuss more. She’s ready to pack up and move out there like yesterday haha. I’m the one who’s really having to think into it.

Comment

I drive almost 4 hrs a day. It's 108 miles one way. I have a company truck with company fuel. The job pays well so I do it. IMO all that matters is what works for you and your family. You really can't listen to what others think if it works for you. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                  I do about 160 miles round trip 5 days a week, but its mostly FM roads not much city driving.

Going from Brenham to Santa Fe you would have to go through or around Houston which is going to add traffic time. That would be tough for me to do on top of a 12HR day.
                  This.

If the commute truly would be Brenham to Santa Fe, that is a pretty tough track around Houston, whether you go through the heart or around. Heck, that is at least 2 hours with no rush hour and no problems. There isn't hard a freeway in Houston that isn't being worked on right now.

I did the 1.5 hour drive each way for a couple years and finally moved closer to work. Sure, it's nice to live out of the city down on the coast or in the woods, however, when you get home every night at 7:00 p.m. +; there's not much time to enjoy except for the weekends.

If the 2 hour commute was a non-city type drive, I might consider it. However, running across Houston with a 2 pus hour commute after a 12 hour day would be a drag.

Comment

I do 500 miles every 8 days. Nothing to it

Comment

I drive 15 miles and hate it. One thing to consider is that knowing where you work, one accident that causes traffic, oversleeping even 30 minutes, or vehicle problems will make you late for relief. Too many of those and it’s an issue at a plant.

Comment

Work takes me all over/around the Houston area and often far outside it. At least an hour commute each day and 2.5 at the most, one way. Any more than that and we get hotel rooms.

There’s a huge difference, in my opinion, between a consistent hour-and-a-half cruise on the highway and 2.5 hours; whether it’s cruising or in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The former isn’t bad, but when commutes are more than 100 miles and/or involve any potential for traffic jams, it gets exhausting.

Brenham to Santa Fe is not a typical commute...

Comment

I used to have a 1hr 20min one way commute I can’t see myself ever going back to it. It was rough and I have no idea how I did it.

Comment

Long work commute?

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post

If the 2 hour commute was a non-city type drive, I might consider it. However, running across Houston with a 2 pus hour commute after a 12 hour day would be a drag.

This x100. Ain’t no way I’d choose to drive all the way across Houston every day. I drive 9 miles to work everyday. This week with spring break and no traffic - about 17 minutes. Next week with no spring break and traffic - anywhere from 20-35 minutes. A couple of accidents (and there will be a day where 2 or more of the thousands of idiots on the road in Houston mess up and wreck) can double your commute or more.

If it was me, I’d consider getting a travel trailer or small apartment close to work to lay your head when you work consecutive days. After a 12 hour day, you won’t really see anyone between the time you leave and the time you get home anyway.

Comment

I know a few that enjoy the long commutes because they don't have to spend much time with the wife and kids.

Comment

I did hr and and half commute when I first started on 12 and 16 hr shifts. I ended up sleeping at work, in the truck or geting a hotel on the 16s. By the time I got home and wound down, back up and ready it just wasn't safe
                                3 days a week no biggie. If I did alot of days straight I was grumpy and a a zombie. Basically was no point in even going home

Comment

Working...
                                X