Got my first big thicket permit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my first big thicket permit.

Come to find out the deer lease I'm on is literally directly across the street. I pay almost 600 a year when I could have walked across the street for $48 a year. I hope they have more deer on that side of the road. Ill find out tomorrow. I don't ever see anyone parked over there so who knows.

Which unit?

Comment

Only one they had left, The Lance rosier unit. Every other unit was full.

Comment

I hunted Lance Rosier from 1983 to about 1992. Deer. Hogs and (oh yes...)Wood Ducks. Enjoy. It is a great place. Shotgun is your friend. You will need buckshot, slugs and #4 Steel shot. Make it a "hunt of opportunity"! Watch for Copperheads.

limit on Woodies is 3 a day!!

Comment

Originally posted by Timemachine View Post
          I hunted Lance Rosier from 1983 to about 1992. Deer. Hogs and (oh yes...)Wood Ducks. Enjoy. It is a great place. Shotgun is your friend. You will need buckshot, slugs and #4 Steel shot. Make it a "hunt of opportunity"! Watch for Copperheads.

limit on Woodies is 3 as of a year or 2 ago!
          Good deer? I'll be bow hunting most of the season even after boom sticks start going off. Unless it gets too close to the end then I will break out the Benelli and buckshot.

Comment

Originally posted by lesson 101 View Post
            Good deer? I'll be bow hunting most of the season even after boom sticks start going off. Unless it gets too close to the end then I will break out the Benelli and buckshot.
            I will admit that my deer hunting skills aren't all that good but with all the new scent blocker stuff and other advances in deer hunting, it can be pretty good. Deer are everywhere but does require some work and scouting. City folks tend to still close to the roads. Go deep and reap the rewards!

Comment

There are good deer there. That is some big woods! A compass and GPS will be your most beneficial tools. It's not hard to get turned around in there. Like timemachine said, go deep! Most hunters in there won't venture more than a couple hundred yards off the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Baygall View Post
                There are good deer there. That is some big woods! A compass and GPS will be your most beneficial tools. It's not hard to get turned around in there. Like timemachine said, go deep! Most hunters in there won't venture more than a couple hundred yards off the road.
                I have a GPS I will throw in the back pack. I will be relying on natural brush blind and camo. At least until I can figure out a little more of the forest for I have no idea what Im looking at. tomorrow I will be scouting and maybe sit for a little bit. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I will admit that my deer hunting skills aren't all that good but with all the new scent blocker stuff and other advances in deer hunting, it can be pretty good. Deer are everywhere but does require some work and scouting. City folks tend to still close to the roads. Go deep and reap the rewards!
                  I shower and wash my hunting clothes with that evolution E3 by dead down wind but I think it may expire cause I got winded at my lease today. haha

Comment

FUNNY & TRUE......We are a group of Dad's that take our kids hunting. The kids are all 11 & 12 year old. THE OTHER DADS are mid 30's but since I was 48 when my son was born, I'm (gulp) 60. When we go deep, they make me pull a game cart. But it's not to haul out the deer.....it's to haul me out if/when I have a heart attack....LOL!

Sorry...I digressed....Good luck to you. You sound like the kind of hunter that will do well!! Keep us posted! PM me if I can offer any pointers.

Comment

FUNNY & TRUE......We are a group of Dad's that take our kids hunting. The kids are all 11 & 12 year old. THE OTHER DADS are mid 30's but since I was 48 when my son was born, I'm (gulp) 60. When we go deep, they make me pull a game cart. But it's not to haul out the deer.....it's to haul me out if/when I have a heart attack....LOL!

Sorry...I digressed....Good luck to you. You sound like the kind of hunter that will do well!! Keep us posted! PM me if I can offer any pointers.
                      lol Aight brother I sure do appreciate it.

Comment

When we go deep, they make me pull a game cart. But it's not to haul out the deer.....it's to haul me out if/when I have a heart attack....LOL!
                        Don't laugh. I actually saw this happen about 7 years ago. Grandfather, two sons and grandson went hunting, and grandpa came back in the game cart, pulled by the two sons while the grandson carried out all the guns. It was the most surreal thing I've ever seen.

Comment

Oh wow that would be scary.

Comment

My favorite uncle died of a heart attack while out squirrel hunting. My 13 year old cousin had to get his dads body out of the wood by himself cause he wasn't going to leave him there. Uncle Tom was 52. Sure miss that guy.

Comment

This story is only mostly true. He left out the part about we make him lash the cart to his belt to pull behind him so that if he does happen to keel over we won't have to look too far for it. That way after we get him tied onto the cart good and hidden in the brush where he wont spook anything we still have time to make it out to our stands.

But the part about Jimbo being really, really old was entirely true.

Comment

Working...
                              X