Oklahoma Public Land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma Public Land?

If anyone has hunted public land in Oklahoma, please share your experience, good or bad, if you don't mind. I'm looking into planning a small game hunt up there later this year and maybe a deer hunt for next year. Do any of their units have a huntable population of pigs?

I'm really interested in any and all information.

Is their license like texas, where one license lets you take almost all game? Do they have a public hunting permit? Non resident cost?

My experience is all OK land is public as its poacher heaven or at least on both leases I had one in Atoka and another in Calvin.

Yes there is an out of state lic and you have to get one for each type of weapon too. I think a little under $300, so if you rifle and bow that's $600 and you dont get double additional tags, same amount of tags no matter what weapon you use. I never hunted public so cant help there. Stick with TX type 2 if you can. Plenty of deer here.

Comment

I live in Elgin, just north of Fort Sill. The city of Lawton has public land around lake ellsworth and lake lawtonka. I shot two does with my bow last season at ellsworth. The licenses cost $280 each. That's for archery, muzzleloader, and modern gun. With the archery license you are able to harvest 6 deer(2 bucks at the most) and it's good from oct 1 through dec 31. The muzzleloader and gun seasons last only about two weeks. With each of those license you are allowed to harvest 1 buck and 2 does. I hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I very rarely rifle hunt. If i do it is just a last ditch effort to get meat in the freezer before season ends. I would only need an archery license. I actually took the time on their site and went through the info for every single wma independently to evaluate it for small game. I believe I have selected a unit for that. If I decide to do deer there next year, I will have to do more research. A $280 license is pretty steep unless you plan to make multiple trips.

You can get a 5 day nonresident small game license for $75.

Comment

It used to be you could hunt pigs in the off season with no lic so that might be an option should be posted on their website.

Comment

No license for pigs on private Land.

Comment

There is alot a public land up there. Some good deer too. Do some research. There are some places that are public and bow only. Lots of state parks too so if you have a travel trailer you can stay close to where you hunt.

Comment

There are some pigs in oklahoma, but if you are wanting to focus on pigs, i would stick to tawokoni or cooper. lots of pigs on those areas

Comment

I hunted some public land on the Red River just above Texoma. We hunted on Texas side though. Lots and lots of pigs there. FYI

Comment

Working...
                  X