10 Yr Old's Shop Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Yr Old's Shop Projects

Now that we are settled in to the house and most of the house stuff is out of my shop we can start doing manly things in said shop.

My 10 yr old is an old sole in a skinny athletic youthful body. He would rather be in the shop working on something while his friends are running around our yard playing.

I know he will change his mind but he currently wants to attend Texas A&M and go the Engineering route. He certain has the mind for it.

Couple weeks ago when I was in St Louis working I tasked him with designing a welding cart for the shop.

Here was my exact email:

Carter,

We need a cart that will carry the blue wire welder and the small bottle of gas. This will make it easier to move it around the shop.

I want you to start the design of this cart by drawing what it will look like on paper. You can work on this after ALL of your homework is done.

Requirements:

1) Must have wheels (Will be smaller caster wheels like on the flat cart but much smaller)
    2) The top of the welder needs to be about 3 to 4 foot off the ground.
    3) The bottle of gas need to be in the back of the welder but as low to the ground as we can get it.
    4) Make sure to include storage for the hoses and welding leads
    5) You can also add a place to put enough wire, tips, and anything else we may need.

We will build this from the scrap metal we have from the shop build.

Once you get something on paper have mom take a pic of it and send to me. If we can get a designed worked out we can build it this weekend.

Love you!

Dad
    This is the drawing I get in an email from him the next evening after school.

Pretty good first rendering.

I get home and he wants to start right away. He has piled up a nice stock of metal we had laying around the house as well.

He has never welded before so I figured this could be a long process getting to the point to where he can start constructing the cart.

I was wrong as shown in his first weld.

Here he is with the cart without the wheels.

He used left over 8" purlin and 2" tubing for the framing. I had some 3/4" tubing laying around that we used as well.

He plans on adding the rails and storage maybe this weekend if we are not in the woods.

Here is another project that we started.

My wife has a swing that she got from her grandmother when she passed. We only took the seat as we could hang it from a tree to use. Now at the new house we do not have anywhere to hang it.

So we are building a free standing frame that will hold the swing. We will be able to put this on the back porch.

My apprentice has done most of the welding on this project as well.

He is doing a great job so far. I will post more pics as we progress.

dp
    Last edited by dpatterson1976; 12-16-2014, 12:38 PM.

That is awesome!

You're doing things right, that's for sure.

Comment

Wish my welds were as good as his I just keep making popcorn welds thank GOD for grinders

Comment

Wow!!!

Comment

Wow that is awesome. At 10 I was the kid playing in the yard unless I was bending nails with a hammer somewhere. Keep him at it, he will look back on these times and cheerish them forever.

Comment

This is the most awesome thing I have read in quite some time. Way to go dad!

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
              Agree! Way to go dad!

Comment

excellent!

Comment

Great job. Raising them the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                    X3

Comment

Thanks guys!

His welds are better than mine too! lol

My grandfather taught me how to weld when I was around 10. He was an old iron worker all his life. Lost him in Summer of 2001. He would be highly impressed with my kid. Makes me wonder if I may actually know this "old soul" after all.

: )

dp

Comment

Impressive all the way around

Comment

Keep that mind of pointed in the right direction and have him learn all types of welding tig mig gas etc!!!!

Comment

Your sons whole attitude is impressive. Only 10 and knows he wants to go to A&M and already designing and building things. Good job dad he is certainly on the right track to live a successful adult life.

Comment

That's awesome!!!! Kid has skills for sure..
                              I'm not sure where your located but your welcome to come use the band saw to cut your tubing if your close enough, I love seeing kids into building stuff metal metal!!

I'm in Paris btw, holler if I can be of assistance in any way.

Comment

Working...
                              X