Somethings eating my indian knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somethings eating my indian knives

I have these very sentimental Indian knives up on my wall. They were in an enclosed shadow box but it fell about 8 years ago and we hung them back up without the glass. Fast forward now something is starting to eat at the handles which is made of dried bull peckers. (you can see the powder lines from the bugs below the handles). What should I do so that they don't completely destroy my knives? I'm sure the value is already hurt now. Hate to spray something and possibly ruin or tarnish the knives.
    Attached Files

I would try putting them in freezer for a couple days.

Comment

I bet they're a species of Dermestid beetle. Some eat hair and/or skin. The can ruin the capes on mounts and horns too. Usually antlers and bone are safe.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
        I bet they're a species of Dermestid beetle. Some eat hair and/or skin. The can ruin the capes on mounts and horns too. Usually antlers and bone are safe.
        oh dear god....these knives are hanging in my trophy room.

Comment

Putting them in the freezer for a couple days is probably a good idea. Then get them into a new sealed box.

Comment

Cant help with the bugs.. but those are freaking beautiful.

Comment

Bug bomb your trophy room

Comment

Bovinus Peckerchewus beetle maybe?

Comment

if thats a real thing... no wonder them sonsabiscuits buck so hard...

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post

That's them

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                      Cant let the screenname and the current discussion point go unnoticed....

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                        Cant let the screenname and the current discussion point go unnoticed....
                        good one!

Comment

Ozone machine and leave the house for a couple days?
                          And a new shadow box.

Comment

It could be clothes moths, you can spray with raid or simular. Or you can get stuff from a taxidermy supply place and wipe it on ( put in an atomizer bottle and spray ) Check your mounts! It's not the moths that eat it it's there larva. If you notice loose hair, or what looks like sawdust ( droppings) under any of your mounts, lightly pull on some of the hair, if you got them the hair will pull right out. If it's to this stage it's to late to save that one, but it may save your other mounts. If you notice little tiny moths flying around, or stuff above, I would treat all your mounts. I have not seen them eat any thing with out hair on it, but if it's not " tanned" I could see were they may eat it.

Comment

Maybe moth balls?

Comment

Working...
                              X