Closer encores of the swine kind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closer encores of the swine kind.

So I've been hunting this boar pretty regular here lately. He's nocturnal. I usually get him on careers after 10.
    So I get in the blind about 730pm. Don't see nothing.
    It's dark overcast and foggy. The red light just doesn't seem to want to cut through it. I still like my green light better.
    About 9 - 915 I call it quits since 5 am comes early.
    I want to check on my feeder and see how the green Swine Shine light is doing and maybe catch a critter under it. It's a 400 yd walk. Winds to my back. I didn't expect to see anything and I didn't.
    Still lots of corn on the ground I mark my territory and than think d-oh 2 have cameras in the area.
    I walk over by the Round bales the landowner has sitting there. I think to my self, I wonder if I can see there cross hairs with the feeder light on.
    I walk back to the feeder 26 yards. I walk back to where I'm thinking of putting up a burlap camo wall between a couple of the bales. They'll provide cover on 3 sides and convert scent.
    I get in the general area and shoulder my rifle. Look through the scope. I can see ok. Not great but it's on low so I should be good to go.
    I look up over top the bales and can still see the ground under the feeder. Cool I can shoot over the bales too.

I turn to my right and about 15 feet away I see a dark shape ambling from my right to left.
    It's the Boar!?! I freeze to let him pass. Whilst he's passing I feel with my thumb. Drat, I left the safety on after exiting the ground blind. I KNOW there's going to be some Cowboy Action shooting going on here in a minute. I ease my thumb up to undo be the safety and CLICK!!!. The Boar/Pig heard it and takes of running the way he was going. I drop back to the end of bales and start hustling North, the direction he's going. He cuts East before I clear the end of the bales, I saw him over top. I throw down on him by my scopes on 12X maybe not that high but it was zoomed in
    I continue through the bales as I'm trying to get it back to 4X and get my light on. He's headed towards cows.
    But he's headed back where he came from!
    He's under the fence and in the tall stuff before I can draw a bead on him.

So here's what I learned:
    Either leave the safety off or wait till your cross hairs are centered before releasing it.
    I haven't mastered the doing it quietly yet.

I'm thinking I should have followed him instead of trying to cut him off.

I was doing a spot and stalk on the way to the feeder so I had the scope zoomed in. I scanned the area before coming in so I didn't think it was necessary to zoom it down. Not sure how to solve this. Yet!

Needless to say it WAS FUN. It's almost 11 pm and I'm not tired!!

Recently one of my friends from our Church asked if I'd like to take his youngest hunting. I was like YEAH! I am very excited! I enjoy teaching.

Sunday him, his older brother and I put the feeder up, picked up my old blind that's trashed.
    That we sat in the blind for one hour maybe one and one half hours. His parents needed him home before 8 so he can get ready for school. He's already said Friday nights going to be a late night.

I just need to get us a bigger blind and a 2 man ladder stand. I'm excited! I just wish he could have been with me tonight!
    Last edited by Pushbutton2; 10-03-2017, 10:00 PM.

Cool story. You'd never think something so big could be so quite.

Comment

Good story, What gun were you using with such a load safety?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
        Good story, What gun were you using with such a load safety?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        He was probably no more than 15' from me.

I was using my AR15
        Last edited by Pushbutton2; 10-04-2017, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Wow!
          I just read my title!
          Gboard sucks!
          It is supposed to be
          Close Encounters of the Swine Kind.

Comment

Great story. I was right there with you and it sounds like a good set up.Try maintaining tension on the safety during travel with your thumb ontop of the the switch instead of just flicking it. I do not recommend stalking with the safety off to easy to trip while your attention is on the prey. You can practice flipping the safety on and off with just the lower and see how if feels. Maybe even a little grease will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Traxx View Post
              Great story. I was right there with you and it sounds like a good set up.Try maintaining tension on the safety during travel with your thumb ontop of the the switch instead of just flicking it. I do not recommend stalking with the safety off to easy to trip while your attention is on the prey. You can practice flipping the safety on and off with just the lower and see how if feels. Maybe even a little grease will help.
              Great suggestion, please keep the safety on until your ready to shoot. Good luck!

Comment

That’s what I figured.

Have you considered taking a few coils off the safety spring to make it less snappy?
                I do this to most of mine and they are still reliable, just don’t take off too many coils. I’m only talking a few. A little goes a long way.

I also agree with the two finger method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X