Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
    Holding off until big cat contest time.
    That would be fun. I've heard that thing is really hard to win. Gotta have 5 dogs to enter your big cat right? Last year I heard one team shot over 70 foxes.

Comment

Going back for round two. Hopefully I'll get something today.

Comment

Ordered a FoxPro Inferno tonight. It has some grey fox sounds on it. I can't wait to get it and try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          What do you guys have the best luck calling grey fox in with?

Start off with any bird distress. It will be named Nutty NutHatch or cow distress. Then go to a agitated fox distress. Works 100% of the time if there's a grey in earshot. Done be hesitant to call for 10/15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
            That would be fun. I've heard that thing is really hard to win. Gotta have 5 dogs to enter your big cat right? Last year I heard one team shot over 70 foxes.

Gotta have 5 dogs or 5 fox to enter a cat.

Comment

Originally posted by AddisonOil View Post
              Start off with any bird distress. It will be named Nutty NutHatch or cow distress. Then go to a agitated fox distress. Works 100% of the time if there's a grey in earshot. Done be hesitant to call for 10/15 minutes.
              This^^^ bird sounds seem to work exceptionally well for both cats and foxes at least in my experience. Nutty Nuthatch is good but my go to is wacky woodpecker.

Comment

Alright thanks guys! I've never shot a fox so I really know nothing about calling them in. I'm excited to get down to Texas so I can try to get a shot at one. I've heard of the big cat competition before. That would be a fun one to enter.

Comment

Do you guys set up for fox the same way you do coyotes? Do they prefer the thick stuff or live more out in the open?

Comment

I set up the same way for everything. Usually start off with squeaks or bird sounds to see if something's close. Then turn on the foxpro if no dice after 5 or so minutes and start upping the volume. Coyote calls as a last resort. Always hit wounded puppy as soon as I shoot anything.

Haven't had much luck calling so far this year. Have called some pigs though.

Comment

They like the thickish stuff. But since your going to be around sweetwater that is basically the entire area. We always night called for them and they are dumb as a box of rocks they will come up right on top of you. I would bring a 12 guage as well as a .22 mag or .17 hmr if I wanted to stuff one.

Comment

Awesome advice guys. My buddies down there might have some spots in mind to put me on one so that will help if they do. They use rabbit in distress for most things I think but I wanted to get some ideas of what to use for foxes specifically. I figured vole squeaks and things like that would be more ideal for them. I think between the advice given and their knowledge of the land we'll be calling on I have a pretty good chance of getting one. I plan on taking a 12 gauge with a dead coyote choke tube and maybe I'll buy some #4 buckshot or bring 3 1/2" turkey loads. As long as they're not at point blank range either one should do the trick without tearing them up. I appreciate all the advice y'all.

Comment

If you have small "mountains" on your place. Hit them first, specially if there have rocky ledges!

If there's rocks, there's Fox!

Comment

Originally posted by AddisonOil View Post
                            If you have small "mountains" on your place. Hit them first, specially if there have rocky ledges!

If there's rocks, there's Fox!
                            I can think of some areas like that. And there's a little ravine out there that's got rock ledges. I've caught snakes out of there before and was kind of thinking about calling there. There's also pretty thick cover around that spot so I bet we'd call something up out of there. There might not be nothin in there but it sure looked like a good place to call. It honestly looked like a perfect place for a bobcat. Which is fine if we call one of those in too.

Comment

Originally posted by CTB View Post
                              Coyotes are in full swing right now. Been killing 8-10 a week
                              By calling? We haven't had any luck calling for several months. Maybe they've gotten used to the calls. Going to try baiting right after deer season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by PowThudBeer View Post
                                By calling? We haven't had any luck calling for several months. Maybe they've gotten used to the calls. Going to try baiting right after deer season is over.
                                I haven't had any luck either but I think it's because any time I've went it's been too warm outside. I sat a goal for myself to call in and kill at least 50 coyotes this year but I don't think it's going to happen. I called in over 40 last year and a few cats. I went 12 stands back to back and called in a coyote on every one of them last year. I'm starting to wonder if the coyote population is down this year or something. I've had hawks fly over the times I have been out this Winter so I know I sound like a rabbit. I don't know what's going on.
                                Last edited by okrattler; 12-15-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X