Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Axis Doe & Cinnamon Phase Fallow Doe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between Axis Doe & Cinnamon Phase Fallow Doe?

We just got back from once again taking Stratton on a youth hunt at the Walter Buck WMA in Junction. This afternoon, a huge old axis doe walked out and Stratton put the smack down on her. Her coat only had faint spots on the top of the back and some faded ones on the flanks. I thought she was an old axis doe, but at the check station, the wildlife manager wasnt sure and thought she was a cinnamon phase fallow deer? I will download pic and add the story in a thread, but I have a question......I havent heard of a cinnamon phase fallow, is anyone know or how to compare and contrast?

They can be similar in color, post pic and I should be able to tell you.

Comment

I will get the pic and story up shortly, but looking at a lot of pics online, 99% sure she is a big dark fallow doe now,

Comment

What stand did you hunt? My kids had a great time the weekend of the 5th. We hunted D and K.

Comment

No cinnamon phase. Only chocolate, white, and spotted.

Comment

axis short and more pattern to the black stripe down the back and the spots.

Spotted fallow is taller longer neck more pronounced adams apple and much more random spots.

Comment

Breck, sent you an email. Give me a holler when you have a chance.

Sorry we missed you guys Saturday night. Ryen got sick and started puking so we just went back to the motel and then headed home the following morning.
              Jeff Young

Comment

axis have very vivid bright spots if they were faint its a fallow!

Comment

There are also some Sika that are spotted and could be called cinnamon colored.

Comment

I was told spots on axis go all the way down the body, and the fallow's spots stop mid way down.

Comment

No questionl, she is a fallow. I saw her walk out and saw spots and told Stratton, Axis doe, but he even asked, are you sure? Exotics are not my specialty Still a good harvest for him, they didnt even mention anything about having fallow deerl, but ALL exotics were legal on this hunt.
                      Here is a pic:

Comment

congrats on the harvest.

I probably would have thought axis as well

Comment

Well, heck.....The more pics I look at, I am getting CONFUSED! LOL Could this be an OLD axis doe? I think it looks more like the fallow.

Fallow Doe

Axis Doe
                          Last edited by Deerslayer; 12-14-2009, 02:12 PM.

Comment

CONGRATS ON THE KILL. Ya it is a nice fallow doe.

Comment

Working...
                            X