Turkey fan/beard mount ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have any pictures they can share of mounted fans or plans that would be willing to share on how they display were built.

I have 4 fans that need to be mounted. I would like them to be separate displays instead of a stacked display with multiple fans.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Originally posted by macguyverberry View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures they can share of mounted fans or plans that would be willing to share on how they display were built.

I have 4 fans that need to be mounted. I would like them to be separate displays instead of a stacked display with multiple fans.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Here are two of mine. I have all my beards hanging on a whitetail antler/mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I build fan mounts similar to this out of mesquite or cedar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	turkey fan mount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	24535765

Comment

Display
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
          I build fan mounts similar to this out of mesquite or cedar.

[ATTACH]904105[/ATTACH]
          PM Sent

Comment

Did you save the wings? I have a few but this one is my favorite
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by woodsbound View Post
              Did you save the wings? I have a few but this one is my favorite
              I do have the wings and like that idea. I just haven't gone through the trouble of getting them ready to mount. Did you mount those yourself or have it done?

I know there are several resources available via the internet, but if you did it yourself do you have any insider tips?

Thanks!

Comment

https://youtu.be/zqIJdCOwxno

Here is a good youtube video for preparing your fan mount.

Comment

In

Comment

Don't know how to post a link to the DIY forum but I have one there. Search Osage Orange or my screen name

Comment

How do you prepare a fresh tail fan to be mounted?? I have two in the freezer

Comment

I didn't do that one, it was my first bird and had a taxi do it, but have done a few since without the wings. It was pretty simple and feel I could do one like it now with the right sized base. The bases can be bought for around $20-50 at Cabelas, Bass Pro, you might be able to find bigger ones like used on the one with the wings at a taxi supply online, but have never looked.
                        I don't know if this is the right way, but believe I found it one here somewhere years ago, and has also been quite a few years since I've done one.Basically get a big piece of cardboard, some push pins and some borax. Trim as much meat as possible from the fan, beard and wings if using them. Spread the fan and wings if using out on the cardboard, tack it down with the push pins, then rub the borax into the base of the fan, beard and wings. I let mine sit for a week and add more borax daily. After that pull the pins and everything should stay in place/be ready to mount to the base. The bases I have bought had a screw in the back to fasten the fan to the plaque. Then just took some black electric tape and went around the base of the beard until it was thick enough to tuck up in the mounting hole on the base snugly and that was it. If going to do wings I would imagine you could secure them with screws on backside as well, I will look tonight and see how they attached them and let you know.
                        Last edited by woodsbound; 04-10-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                          How do you prepare a fresh tail fan to be mounted?? I have two in the freezer

It was actually pretty easy the way I did it. Basically you use a very sharp knife to clean up as much meat and fat away from the base of the tail and between the quills as possible. Then soak it in white camp fuel to break down the fat. Clean the quills with a wire brush, and then soak in borax to help in the drying process. After the soak I pinned the fan to a large piece of cardboard and covered the fleshy(ish) end of the tail in dry borax and let it sit for, now going on 6 weeks (minimum of 4 weeks was recommended. After the drying phase, you apply bondo to both sides of the tail and then mount.

The link I used was through the NWTF website (nwtf.org) and follow the link for "Create the Perfect Fan Mount".

Comment

I don't have any pics that I can find, but a unique fan mount is to use a large scute from a gator to cover the base of the fan.

We use hydrogen peroxide to bleach out the scute very white.

Comment

Originally posted by macguyverberry View Post
                              It was actually pretty easy the way I did it. Basically you use a very sharp knife to clean up as much meat and fat away from the base of the tail and between the quills as possible. Then soak it in white camp fuel to break down the fat. Clean the quills with a wire brush, and then soak in borax to help in the drying process. After the soak I pinned the fan to a large piece of cardboard and covered the fleshy(ish) end of the tail in dry borax and let it sit for, now going on 6 weeks (minimum of 4 weeks was recommended. After the drying phase, you apply bondo to both sides of the tail and then mount.

The link I used was through the NWTF website (nwtf.org) and follow the link for "Create the Perfect Fan Mount".

I did this as well....came out perfect and still going strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X