• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
    Why are all y'alls gardens weed free and mine is covered with them? SMH

Hoggslayer

I leave most of the weeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Picked some chard for dinner tonight. Chard, avocado garlic , onions, and wonderful seasonings as a bed with eggs picked from the coop on top. Fresh picked broccoli and asparagus on the side. Yum!
      Attached Files

Comment

Cut 4 broccoli's that were ready before the storms hit tonight. What we don't eat for supper will be made into soup. Love this time of year, Earlier today picked a setting of potatoes to go with the turkey that stumbled earlier this week. So tomorrow its wild turkey , potatoes, carrots , broccoli, asparagus , with a big salad. Farm living at its best!
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Just one more thing

Built this bed today. Can you ever have too many beds? Plan is to cover bottom with cardboard then fill half way with horse manure mixed with wood chips. I have access to unlimited supply. Then cover top with 6-8" alfalfa hay and let it sit and melt. Towards fall as the alfalfa has melted cover again with fully composted compost then cover deeply with alfalfa again. Ready to plant. Should stay weed free in the interim as I have essentially no weeds in the rest of my garden thanks to the thick alfalfa mulch.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              Just one more thing

Built this bed today. Can you ever have too many beds? Plan is to cover bottom with cardboard then fill half way with horse manure mixed with wood chips. I have access to unlimited supply. Then cover top with 6-8" alfalfa hay and let it sit and melt. Towards fall as the alfalfa has melted cover again with fully composted compost then cover deeply with alfalfa again. Ready to plant. Should stay weed free in the interim as I have essentially no weeds in the rest of my garden thanks to the thick alfalfa mulch.

Sounds like a raised bed lasagna garden, and a recipe for a great garden bed.

Comment

The veggies are coming along slowly, with mornings still dropping below 40°. But, the flowers in the pollinator bed are doing great.

Comment

Beautiful. What kind of flowers do you have in pollinator bed?

Comment

My tomatoes look like they are getting blight already. It killed me last year. Just sprayed them with copper fungicide. Hopefully it will work this year. For anyone who is doing tomatoes, you should spray them every 2 weeks as a preventative.

Comment

Deer got a little close this morning. Guess the fence is working so far cause i caught the gaurd dog snuggled up sleeping with the cat. He had no idea we had visitors.

Update on the hay is its working great. Weeds are minimal, and the amount i am watering has reduced from once every other day or more to once a week if it doesnt already rain. The moisture retention is great. I layed it about 4 to 6" thick. Its compacred now to about 1". Ive got a pile of wood chips im going to add in a couple months to keep the Eden garden rolling. Im committed to it. Hopefully its the right move.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Part Timer; 04-18-2018, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Picked a few radishes tonight Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	24537996

Comment

Anyone used azomite and if so how and what do you think?

Comment

Well, we going to try to replant the things that didn't make it through all the flooding rain a few weeks back... If it doesn't rain us out tonight, we'll try planting Sunday afternoon...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7323.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	24538205

Name:	IMG_7322.jpg
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	24538206

Berries are coming along nicely... We picked almost 3 gallons of dewberries this morning. The Thornless domesticated blackberries are making lots of berries, but only a few were ready today...

Name:	IMG_7337.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	24538207

Name:	IMG_7339.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	24538208

Check out the difference between wild dewberries and the Prime Ark 45 Thornless Blackberries!

Name:	IMG_7338.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	24538209

About 4 cups of the dewberries went from the field to my Dutch oven, then a bowl with some Blue Bell... Hard to beat that!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

We have spent more time this month on the road then home so I have not had the opportunity to update on ours. Copper fungicide is on the way for the tomatoes. All in all things look great.

Dozens of tomatoes and blooms

Several bell blooms and the corn is looking good

Carrots are getting there

Maybe next year the dewberries will produce? No blooms

At-will cantaloupe

Comment

We have already pulled +\- 50 radishes and 5 squash.

Comment

Working...
                                X